EVH 5150 Iconic EL34 NEW

• Thread starter Thread starter Lightning
  • Start date Start date
Enough upper mids? I disagree - the iconic has to have the mids dimed to match the dominant mids of the OG. If anything the iconic is bright and scooped in nature. It’s a great budget amp but I find the OG is way louder and holds together better at volume. It’s why I haven’t bothered to grab one with an upgraded iron 5150 II.
I’ll agree to disagree about the upper mids but could totally see what you’re saying about which holds at a good volume etc. Often performance at volume is where the rubber meets the road on a budget friendly amp.

Are the 5153s not worth picking up?

My only experience with 5150s are that a million bands I grew up with in the late 90s/early 2000s used them.
Personally I hated the 100 watt 6l6 version. Couldn’t get rid of it fast enough.

What makes the Iconic series different from the normal 5150iii?

I see an EL34 5150iii near me for $650 and am tempted by the price despite not needing it in the slightest.

Good lord, that's a good deal

If you like extreme metal the feel is great for 5153s . For rock guys I get the iconic is better .i love 5153s . So great for tight metal like Fear Factory
I don't think the 5153 has a 'bad' feel...it feels fine, but the Iconic seems a bit better imo. I think, the best way to put it, is the Iconic can be dialed down to sound more pushed power section/lower preamp gain; where the 5153 even on the blue ch is still really gainy. The Iconic just seems a bit more versatile in that regard; and at volume has a bloom like a good Marshall vs the 5153s just getting louder. Hard to explain but that's a thing for me anyway.

I don't think the 5153 has a 'bad' feel...it feels fine, but the Iconic seems a bit better imo. I think, the best way to put it, is the Iconic can be dialed down to sound more pushed power section/lower preamp gain; where the 5153 even on the blue ch is still really gainy. The Iconic just seems a bit more versatile in that regard; and at volume has a bloom like a good Marshall vs the 5153s just getting louder. Hard to explain but that's a thing for me anyway.
Makes sense

The 5150 III on the Blue channel can be dialed for a low gain Crunch kind of tone that even cleans up fairly decently, but you only have from about 0 to 1.5 on the Gain dial's range to get that kind of sound.

It's not something most people bother with, but if you absolutely had to dial it in that way, it can be done. Here's a clip with the Gain on maybe 1, maybe slightly less. Not 1:00, but 1 out of 10. The slow change from clean to dirty is done entirely with playing dynamics and pickup selection, starting on the neck pickup and flipping to the bridge pickup towards the end.

The 5150 III on the Blue channel can be dialed for a low gain Crunch kind of tone that even cleans up fairly decently, but you only have from about 0 to 1.5 on the Gain dial's range to get that kind of sound.

It's not something most people bother with, but if you absolutely had to dial it in that way, it can be done. Here's a clip with the Gain on maybe 1, maybe slightly less. Not 1:00, but 1 out of 10. The slow change from clean to dirty is done entirely with playing dynamics and pickup selection, starting on the neck pickup and flipping to the bridge pickup towards the end.

Damn dude! That was great!

What factory in china is fender using to have the EVH Iconic amps made

This style of playing over super shredder wanker shit all day every day. Great clip man.

That's freakin' sweet!

This style of playing over super shredder wanker shit all day every day. Great clip man.

Hell yeah.

lightersintheair-ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jpg

Here’s a quote from James Brown about the Iconic that was taken from TGP

“The EL34 Iconics are mostly the same with the EL34's and the associated bias changes for that....we bias them a little colder than the 6L6's, based on Ed's preference on the EL34 5150 III biasing. And like the 5150 III EL34 amps, the Iconic EL34 has some minor vintage voicing differences. It's a little warmer overall........but I made sure you won't need to cut out any capacitors :)

James B

“The EL34 Iconics are mostly the same with the EL34's and the associated bias changes for that....we bias them a little colder than the 6L6's, based on Ed's preference on the EL34 5150 III biasing. And like the 5150 III EL34 amps, the Iconic EL34 has some minor vintage voicing differences. It's a little warmer overall........but I made sure you won't need to cut out any capacitors :)

James B
What is he too good for ole RT???

James B
Shots fired at Howard Kaplan.

Back