EVH Original vs Peavey 5150 Combo vs Friedman The Plex.

• Thread starter Thread starter psychodave
  • Start date Start date
Original, 5150, Plex. But, I can barely see the Plex dials; everything on 10. Which NEVER works ever with ANY amp I've tried that with. So, whoever dialed that in needs to maybe re dial it better.
I'm sure there are amps that are OK sounding dimed but I've never owned one. In fact, they all sounded like ass. There's a sweet spot in any amp including old Marshalls, and 10 ain't it.

This feels like a personal vendetta against Dave because I have the Plex and that is not what it sounds like :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I mean, I have a 5150 and a Plex and it's no contest if I had to pick one it would be the Friedman.
Different horses for different courses. The "Friedman sound" doesn't work for me. However, it does work for a lot of people.

Different horses for different courses. The "Friedman sound" doesn't work for me. However, it does work for a lot of people.

The Plex is unique in that it's a legit Marshall Plexi circuit, and not part of the polished "Friedman Sound" like the rest of his line. It's a 50watt Plexi with variable Bright-caps, PPIMV and Variac. There's no pre-amp gain emulation of classic circuits like his other amps.

The Plex is unique in that it's a legit Marshall Plexi circuit, and not part of the polished "Friedman Sound" like the rest of his line. It's a 50watt Plexi with variable Bright-caps, PPIMV and Variac. There's no pre-amp gain emulation of classic circuits like his other amps.
Yup, I throw some verb in the loop of my PS2A and use a standard tele and it sounds glorious. Very versatile amp.

Original, 5150, Plex. But, I can barely see the Plex dials; everything on 10. Which NEVER works ever with ANY amp I've tried that with. So, whoever dialed that in needs to maybe re dial it better.
I'm sure there are amps that are OK sounding dimed but I've never owned one. In fact, they all sounded like ass. There's a sweet spot in any amp including old Marshalls, and 10 ain't it.
The Plex with everything on 10, except 0 on the bass channel, sounds great. It's pretty tight, too.
I had to pull the preamp and bass back on my 4104 for a close tone match.

The ppimv is great, too. It keeps most of the tone, but adds quite a bit of saturation when down below 2 on the dial.
I need to find out what circuit that is.

The ppimv is great, too. It keeps most of the tone, but adds quite a bit of saturation when down below 2 on the dial.
I need to find out what circuit that is.
If he's using the recent one he's been talking about, it's been mentioned on here before. In the Tech section I think. If I recall, the basic idea is replacing the bias feed resistors with a pot to vary the loading and hence gain of the phase inverter. With some nuances 'n stuff that I'm eliding.

Something is definitely up with that video. It’s like someone purposely made the Plex sound bad. It rips in person.

Back