Favorite Pickups for Les Paul Custom?

• Thread starter Thread starter jbru91
  • Start date Start date
The thing is the vintage Mighty Mites, Bill Lawnreces, Jackson J90, Schaller, Hagstroms, and Japanese pickups can be had for similar prices to the Aldrich (the Schaller's are underratedly cheap). I guess looking now on reverb Dirty Fingers went up in price, but these other ones are all reasonable, I'd actually argue even great values in tone per dollar (if we could quantify that lol)

The Aldrich is nothing like the DF like you said (not much really is), different flavors, but I feel for the relative strengths of what that pickup offers the vintage Mighty Mite 1400, Bill Lawrence L100, Jackson J90C or some Schaller's think all can potentially render the Aldrich obsolete depending partly on what exact quality one hones in on liking in it

I understand the Aldrich and some of these other pickups can all potentially be good/"right" fits for the right guitar and styles, I just as a goal always like to push for how we can do even better, not just settle when we don't always have to. My goal is more to try to intend well rather than argue lol

I love the Schaller Golden 50 pickups. Same with Lawrence L-90, Jackson J-80c and the old Mighty Mites. I hate the L-500's old and new. The first DiMarzio X2N's, back when the were called "X2N Power Plus" are great in the right guitar.

Not my intent to argue. Just chattin' about pickups. :)

Last edited:
I love the Schaller Golden 50 pickups. Same with Lawrence L-90, Jackson J-80c and the old Mighty Mites. I hate the L-500's old and new.

Not my intent to argue. Just chattin' about pickups. :)
Yeah that model Schaller is really good. I’m even more impressed with their higher output models, but all their stuff is very underpriced for what it is as well as their strat and tele pickups

Have you tried the earliest version 500L’s with silverbacks rather than plastic backs? Maybe still not your cup of tea, but those version 500L’s I liked as well as the 510L’s. The later ones I didn’t like as much. My favorite Bill Lawrence’s overall though are the L100’s and L90’s. I have also their vintage Strat and Tele pickups, both their traditional output ones and stacked ceramics. All their old stuff was cool with their own sound

Had Aldriches in my 77 Standard, and they were good. This guitar REALLY loves Duncan customs for whatever reason, so I changed back to those.
I'm debating on changing over to my Tonenerd Sykes. Torn though, as why fix if it's not broken?

Honestly, you have tons of options. Some that come to mind are the MCP 2nd Degree Black Belt and WCR Icebucker (maybe a Godwood since he doesn’t make the Icebucker any more and they’re supposed to be similar) in that beefed up PAF range. If you want a bit more heat, the PRS Metal or Tremonti. For a bit more modern voicing while style having some flexibility, the Lundgren Black Heaven.
The Tremonti is just a 500T in PRS clothing albeit a tad more calm. In my Tremonti guitars I use the stock Tremonti bridge and neck, fantastic pickups...those will not change as years ago I went searching for to replace the bridge in my main Tremonti guitar only to come back to the stock pup and wonder why I had wasted the time and money.

Yeah that model Schaller is really good. I’m even more impressed with their higher output models, but all their stuff is very underpriced for what it is as well as their strat and tele pickups

Have you tried the earliest version 500L’s with silverbacks rather than plastic backs? Maybe still not your cup of tea, but those version 500L’s I liked as well as the 510L’s. The later ones I didn’t like as much. My favorite Bill Lawrence’s overall though are the L100’s and L90’s. I have also their vintage Strat and Tele pickups, both their traditional output ones and stacked ceramics. All their old stuff was cool with their own sound

I had a Les Paul XR1 (I think that was the name) in the early 80's. It came stock with Dirty Fingers pickups. I figured all Gibson pickups were shit since they did make so many clunkers. (Hey, I was young. Live and learn. LOL) I tried the silverback L-500's in there and I hated them. All the gnarly crunch was gone. The DF's went right back into my Les Paul.

Last edited:
I had a Les Paul XR1 (I think that was the name) in the early 80's. It came stock with Dirty Fingers pickups. I figured all Gibson pickups were shit since they did make so many clunkers.(Hey, I was young. Live and learn. LOL) I tried the silverback L-500's in there and I hated them. All the gnarly crunch was gone. The DF's went right back into my Les Paul.
Dirty Fingers are killer no doubt. Vs the 500L I find the DF is definitely more raw, organic, thick and low mid growly, but the 500L I find is more about being tight, articulate, bright with strong uppermids. Interesting you liked the L90 though. I like the L90 more too, but think both can be really good. I also like the cream L90XL that’s hotter. I loved all the Bill Lawrence’s up till sometime in the mid ‘80’s or so

Had Aldriches in my 77 Standard, and they were good. This guitar REALLY loves Duncan customs for whatever reason, so I changed back to those.
I'm debating on changing over to my Tonenerd Sykes. Torn though, as why fix if it's not broken?

The Duncan Custom (SH-5 and TB-5) is freakin' amazing. Seymour really knocked it outta the park when he created that pickup. I prefer them over JB's.

I have an Aldrich in my '87 Kramer and it's never leaving that guitar.

I've got several pickups sitting on the shelf waiting to be tried out, but your post reminded me why I love the Duncan Custom. I think the next humbucker I get will be the SH-5 or TB-5, so thank you!

After the Custom, next up will likely be a DiMarzio EVO2 (DP215). I'm really surprised that the EVO2 isn't much more popular. I love it just as much as the Custom. Different tone but just as awesome. The EVO2 slays in alder body Superstrats and the clean tones are reeeally good. The EVO2 uses DiMarzio's Virtual Vintage technology. Crazy good harmonics too...they fly outta that pickup.

Last edited:
Dirty Fingers are killer no doubt. Vs the 500L I find the DF is definitely more raw, organic, thick and low mid growly, but the 500L I find is more about being tight, articulate, bright with strong uppermids. Interesting you liked the L90 though. I like the L90 more too, but think both can be really good. I also like the cream L90XL that’s hotter. I loved all the Bill Lawrence’s up till sometime in the mid ‘80’s or so

Funny story about the black L-90: Mid 80's. All original music...hard rock and metal. I was playing drums in that band. Guitarist had one of those Gibson "The Paul" guitars with the walnut body & neck w/ebony board and the stock pickups into a RAT and into a Fender Twin with Altecs. Sounded massive. Next amp rig he got was that same guitar into an old Tube Screamer into one of the old Hiwatt heads with six EL34's into a Sunn 4x12 with the stock speakers. Also massive.

I worked at a local music store doing guitar repairs and they had an old black L-90 in the store. I bought it as a gift for our guitar player because he was a great guy. I figured if he could make those stock Gibson pickups sound so good, the L-90 would make him sound even better. Oops. I wired the pickup in and he fired up the Hiwatt. At first, amazing sound. Next level. THEN the sound changed...nowhere near as good...lost a lot of balls. He got a big smile on his face and said "Wow, I don't have to hit the strings as hard with this pickup. It's so much easier to play!". Me and the bass played looked at each other with that "Oh, no" expression. We huddled and talked about how do we tell him it sounds lame when he doesn't play hard and he needs the old Gibson pickup back in that guitar?" We were nice about it, and he played hitting the strings hard like he normally did and the sound was amazing again but something was missing for him. He played some more and said yeah, you guys are right, dammit. Bro can you put the Gibson pickup back in?" I did, and all was well with the world. LOL

And so I learned a big lesson about how much the hands matter. A LOT. :)

Funny story about the black L-90: Mid 80's. All original music...hard rock and metal. I was playing drums in that band. Guitarist had one of those Gibson "The Paul" guitars with the walnut body & neck w/ebony board and the stock pickups into a RAT and into a Fender Twin with Altecs. Sounded massive. Next amp rig he got was that same guitar into an old Tube Screamer into one of the old Hiwatt heads with six EL34's into a Sunn 4x12 with the stock speakers. Also massive.

I worked at a local music store doing guitar repairs and they had an old black L-90 in the store. I bought it as a gift for our guitar player because he was a great guy. I figured if he could make those stock Gibson pickups sound so good, the L-90 would make him sound even better. Oops. I wired the pickup in and he fired up the Hiwatt. At first, amazing sound. Next level. THEN the sound changed...nowhere near as good...lost a lot of balls. He got a big smile on his face and said "Wow, I don't have to hit the strings as hard with this pickup. It's so much easier to play!". Me and the bass played looked at each other with that "Oh, no" expression. We huddled and talked about how do we tell him it sounds lame when he doesn't play hard and he needs the old Gibson pickup back in that guitar?" We were nice about it, and he played hitting the strings hard like he normally did and the sound was amazing again but something was missing for him. He played some more and said yeah, you guys are right, dammit. Bro can you put the Gibson pickup back in?" I did, and all was well with the world. LOL

And so I learned a big lesson about how much the hands matter. A LOT. :)
Some of those Gibson pickups from that era weren’t great, but some also imo were great like the Tarbacks, some single coils and the Shaw PAF’s (I’ve got one close to 16k). I compared some to real PAF’s in the same guitar and they were one of the closer ones I’ve found. The vintage Gibson pickups I never liked were the T-Top’s (thin, wiry, not as complex)

The L-90 is very different animal than those Gibson pickups. It’s hotter, more compressed and more even/homogenous/less dynamic. I see it more as 2 different ingredients that I would use a little differently. I think sometimes when guys use 2 very different pieces of gear the same way without adapting it it’s a little bit like saying ketchup is a bad product because it tastes bad on my ice cream (not used right), but I also may not be 100% understanding all of the scenario. I usually feel most at home still with lower output vintage pickups. I like the extra grit and nuance, but it is nice to work less hard with the hot ones and have those beefier chugs

Last edited:
For Les Pauls, my current two favorite sets are the Suhr Aldrich and the Duncan Slash 2.0s.

The Aldrich set is just blazing. Big fat tones.

The Slash 2.0 was actually a big surprise to me. They behave like lower output pickups when played clean, but when you throw some dirt on them they behave more like higher output pickups. Big percussive bottom end and the highs remain sweat. These have replaced the Aldrichs in two of my Les Pauls.

Same guitar...

Aldrich:

Slash 2.0:

I like the 49x series in R and T in any guitar that has all mahogany. Hated them in my gold top Les Paul Tribute - so so bright, but in an SG, and Explorer, Flying V or LP Custom, they often sound great.

i have everything from EMG's to motor city pickups in mine. My favorites are the EMG 85 & The MCP Afwayu

Some of those Gibson pickups from that era weren’t great, but some also imo were great like the Tarbacks, some single coils and the Shaw PAF’s (I’ve got one close to 16k). I compared some to real PAF’s in the same guitar and they were one of the closer ones I’ve found. The vintage Gibson pickups I never liked were the T-Top’s (thin, wiry, not as complex)

The L-90 is very different animal than those Gibson pickups. It’s hotter, more compressed and more even/homogenous/less dynamic. I see it more as 2 different ingredients that I would use a little differently. I think sometimes when guys use 2 very different pieces of gear the same way without adapting it it’s a little bit like saying ketchup is a bad product because it tastes bad on my ice cream (not used right), but I also may not be 100% understanding all of the scenario. I usually feel most at home still with lower output vintage pickups. I like the extra grit and nuance, but it is nice to work less hard with the hot ones and have those beefier chugs

The L-90 sounded great in that guitar as long as he was hitting the strings hard like he did when the Gibson pickup was in there. It's when he didn't hit the strings as hard that his tone suffered.

The L-90 sounded great in that guitar as long as he was hitting the strings hard like he did when the Gibson pickup was in there. It's when he didn't hit the strings as hard that his tone suffered.
Ah ok interesting, I may sort of be able to see that. I wonder also how close those pickups were to the strings in the guitar

Back