Finally gave in and bought a noise gate. Oy.

• Thread starter Thread starter GearGasms
  • Start date Start date
Noise gates aren't exciting. Except when you have a noise machine like the red channel of the EVH 5150III EL34 50 watt head. "Normal" noise gates won't do anything for that constant hiss. Many folks run two noise gate pedals, one in front and one in the loop. That gets expensive.
Until I discovered the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor pedal! It's two gates in one and hooking it up in the four cable method puts it in your signal chain twice! It's confusing, or it was for me, as to how to hook it up but I finally figured it out and I'm sharing it with you all today!
Have a great weekend and Celebrate Mediocrity!
alan

I used a Rocktron 2CX noise gate for years until I bought a Zuul, haven’t looked back.

Wait, you guys don’t use noise gates? Or there’s a population who doesn’t like em?
I’ve never owned one but my BE-OD deluxe when stacked with anything makes so much fuckin noise that I’ve startes to consider one.

I made one like this. I forget all the details, but I know you replace the switch with a pot so you get more than 2 levels. The other pot replaces the resistor going into the detector circuit so you can control the level going into it. That one helps a lot.

I have 3 of them I made. 2 standard versions, and the modded version.

That pot controlling the input level is the key, it really makes the circuit more user friendly and easier to use than a standard zuul

That pot controlling the input level is the key, it really makes the circuit more user friendly and easier to use than a standard zuul
Yeah, I agree. I actually find the stock version too choppy, so I never use the key input. I think it works great without it. The input pot helps fine tune this.

Yeah, I agree. I actually find the stock version too choppy, so I never use the key input. I think it works great without it. The input pot helps fine tune this.

100%

I've had multiple versions of this circuit and have never needed the key input because of it

It functions way smoother and is easier to dial in than the Fortin
i Have the Zuul Plus & i just set everything to 10 o'clock & it works perfectly.....even if i crank the gain on the red channel of my 5153 50 watt. Which for the record i only did once to see how good the Zuul Plus is.

I used a Rocktron 2CX noise gate for years until I bought a Zuul, haven’t looked back.
I Actually Loved the Guitar Silencer Rackmount i used for years. Liked that unit so much i owned 4 of them at one time.

i Have the Zuul Plus & i just set everything to 10 o'clock & it works perfectly.....even if i crank the gain on the red channel of my 5153 50 watt. Which for the record i only did once to see how good the Zuul Plus is.

I'm glad it works for you, it was always way too choppy for me. I had to turn it off every time I played a lead, and I don't play with a ton of gain at all

I'm glad it works for you, it was always way too choppy for me. I had to turn it off every time I played a lead, and I don't play with a ton of gain at all
I use the Zuul+. I turn it off for lead and clean playing usually. Pretty much how I use all noise gates.

I've never had a problem with leads & i run delays & reverb when i play a lead or clean....well clean, i run a delay/reverb/chrous.

yeah with the LWA circuit you don't have to :dunno:
That's Strange cause i've heard that Joe just copied the Zuul like Lots of other builders did. they are of course a copy of the Gate from the KK Marshall.

That's Strange cause i've heard that Joe just copied the Zuul like Lots of other builders did. they are of course a copy of the Gate from the KK Marshall.

He added the input level feature shask and I were talking about - it works, really, really, really well

I Actually Loved the Guitar Silencer Rackmount i used for years. Liked that unit so much i owned 4 of them at one time.
I had 2, still have the early made unit. They used to build them not far from my house.

I have a feeling the Zuul+ is a copy of the LWA, but I dont have any proof.
According to Grammy winning Producer Steve Lamm EVERY GATE since the 1980's is Based off of or a Direct Copy of the Boss NS2. I do not agree but he made sure to remind me he won a grammy back in 2008. He used to work for Joel Osteen so i guess i should take his word for it.

My ns2 is always on. Yes it changes the tone slightly, maybe reducing the gain and high end a little. But if I can compensate and still get a tone I like then so what? It only matters if you believe the sound before the ns2 is more “pure” or something.

Back