Fixing shit. What do you hate the most?

billsbigego

Got this idea from another thread. What do you hate the most? As far as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc?

For me, it's drywall. Grew up building houses with my dad. Absolutely couldn't stand hanging that shit. Swinging the hammer upside down to put in strapping. My arm still hurts. My old man could go all day.

But for me, it's drywall and any mud. Absolutely can't stand the shit.

My 3 biggest jobs that sucked the most in no particular order because they all sucked equally :LOL:

1. Garbage disposal
2. New (heavy) overhead microwave (by myself + floor jack)
3. New hot water heater in our old Dutchman 27' camper

My 3 biggest jobs that sucked the most in no particular order because they all sucked equally :LOL:

1. Garbage disposal
2. New (heavy) overhead microwave (by myself + floor jack)
3. New hot water heater in our old Dutchman 27' camper
Hate trying to line up the cabinet holes with the microwave. Never works out. End up making a huge hole and using a 2" washer to cover the carnage :doh:

When you buy something used and it appears that a tweaker got their hands on it at some point and rigged something in a way that makes you want to pull your hair out.

I love fixing shit, but the only thing I find unpleasant is bathroom sink drains. It's just a gross mix of hair, soap and the crap you spit out when brushing your teeth. I'll work on shit pipes all day without a problem, but bathroom sinks are disgusting.
After that I'd say generally anything European that does not have English manuals

I'm a jack of all trades kind of guy so no real good direct experience in anyone thing like dry wall or plumbing etc. Generally I hate plumbing. And roofing. Wait until @Floyd Eye sees this thread. I think he can do everything from what I've read....Like build a house from scratch kinda guy. My buddy who helps me with shit at my cabin is like that. Mad skillz.

I want to like plumbing, and worked for a plumber for 2 years when I was younger. But I don't know WTF the parts are called. Everytime something breaks, it's some small part that I can't identify. Even with the internet, it's like a fucking dark art, knowledge only shared with a few. Last time I attempted to replace all the guts inside my toilet, I had to go to Home Depot like 3 times. I ended up just replacing the whole fucking toilet. When my wife tells me there's an issue with one of our 3 toilets, I just say get me $300 out of the safe and go buy a new one. For me, it's easier replacing the whole god damn thing. Even if I buy a good brand like AS or Kohler, the fucks change the parts every 2 years.

We’ve hung a microwave which absolutely sucked drilling the vertical mount holes. You’re trying not to fuck your cabinets but also trying to balance an 80 lbs microwave on your head trying to find the fucking screw holes that don’t align for the 3rd time.

I’m great with yardwork and lawnwork. I can do woodwork but I don’t like to. I work on my own car and don’t mind it but I set aside time to do it - I hate it if I have to rush it or do it in the winter.

I fucking hate drywall and electrical. Too many codes to know to do electrical right and drywall has to be done perfectly which requires a lot of sanding and that shit gets old fast with the dust and wearing a mask.

I’ve done roof patch repair before and I’m not against doing it again but never on a steep pitch roof and never when there’s rot or mold repair involved. Fuck that I’m calling the pros.

I actually don’t mind cutting down and cutting up trees. I’ve saved tens of thousands of dollars the past year managing my own tree cleanup from storms.

This was Valentine’s Day a few years back. Believe it or not I want to do it again on the other side of the house.

Plumbing for sure, tapping into the main line and dumping shit over myself to tap for another laundry machine. Those moments are priceless.

Attachments

• IMG_3171.jpeg
    IMG_3171.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
This was Valentine’s Day a few years back. Believe it or not I want to do it again on the other side of the house.

Plumbing for sure, tapping into the main line and dumping shit over myself to tap for another laundry machine. Those moments are priceless.
WTF am I looking at here?

I have totally redone my grandparents house and my great grandmother’s house. My grandparents house is built in (I know I’m spelling it wrong) Jenny Lynn style. No stud walls or standard framing. It’s all built out of rough cut chestnut and a little oak. True two by. Some of the boards are gigantic. Can’t screw or nail them. You have to drill a pilot hole first. Basically they set big ass corner posts and then nailed up solid plank walls, ceilings and floors. No plywood…lol. You talk about a nightmare…

I have totally redone my grandparents house and my great grandmother’s house. My grandparents house is built in (I know I’m spelling it wrong) Jenny Lynn style. No stud walls or standard framing. It’s all built out of rough cut chestnut and a little oak. True two by. Some of the boards are gigantic. Can’t screw or nail them. You have to drill a pilot hole first. Basically they set big ass corner posts and then nailed up solid plank walls, ceilings and floors. No plywood…lol. You talk about a nightmare…
Original studs in my house are rough cut oak. Actual 2x4s. Hard as fuck. So a lot of furring out to match when rebuilding shit.

Back