Fixing shit. What do you hate the most?

• Thread starter Thread starter billsbigego
  • Start date Start date
I can do a little of everything, but I don't particularly enjoy it. I just do it to save money.
I probably do more of it then most average people, but in my small group of friends and acquaintances I’m nowhere near the best or most knowledgeable at it.

My favorite part of building a house is the framing. Love that. Sheathing sucks, wrapping sucks too. Siding is tedious. I'm like Bill though, I hate drywall.

Most drywall guys are drunks. And painters….and roofers…I’m weird because painting is my jam…and I hardly drink…🤪

Most drywall guys are drunks. And painters….and roofers…I’m weird because painting is my jam…and I hardly drink…🤪
Bricklayers and hod carriers are the biggest drunks. Bricklayers had beer breaks in their contract into the 90s.

Most roofers are Mexicans.

Around here Carps hang the drywall.

Bricklayers and hod carriers are the biggest drunks. Bricklayers had beer breaks in their contract into the 90s.

Most roofers are Mexicans.

Around here Carps hang the drywall.
Biggest drunk I have ever know was a bricklayer (friend of my dads) when I was growing up in the 80s. It always amazed me how he could get up at 5:30am and drive an hour to work, drink on the job then drink on the way home from work, yet never got a DUI. Then of course continue drinking late into the night, get up at 5:30 and do it all over again.

In my experience painters are usually the stoners. I let it slide though because they can’t really hurt anything. I’d agree that hardscapers in general most often show up to work hungover.

I just learned how much it sucks to replace 4x6 foot sections of screen. Was a bitch to get that shit tight and not look like shit. Only finished one…which was the one that was torn. Only have 10 more to go. 🤣

I just learned how much it sucks to replace 4x6 foot sections of screen. Was a bitch to get that shit tight and not look like shit. Only finished one…which was the one that was torn. Only have 10 more to go. 🤣
It's like grill cloth. Only easier. :ROFLMAO:

Fiberglass screening can be a bitch. Once it’s in, it’s great that it has a little stretch to it, but the stretch makes it a pain in the balls to get tight too

Fiberglass screening can be a bitch. Once it’s in, it’s great that it has a little stretch to it, but the stretch makes it a pain in the balls to get tight too
My wife is very good at it.

Any sort of fiddly bullshit like that is irritating as fuck. I hate doing electronic shit on guitars, pedals because its fiddly as fuck a lot of times.

right now I'm fighting my big ass mower. Rebuilt the deck and everything is good. Now my drive system is acting up. Going to service the tranny(lol) and replace the drive belt. Hopefully that will fix it. Not sure what is going on with it but like everything it's a learning curve. I just despise getting out there and rolling around on the ground in the heat fucking with this shit.

right now I'm fighting my big ass mower. Rebuilt the deck and everything is good. Now my drive system is acting up. Going to service the tranny(lol) and replace the drive belt. Hopefully that will fix it. Not sure what is going on with it but like everything it's a learning curve. I just despise getting out there and rolling around on the ground in the heat fucking with this shit.
I fixed up my mower a few weeks ago and now my wife does all the mowing. Maybe you’ll get lucky too!

Just finished this. Commute was good. 2 houses down :D
I suggested PVC risers, and convert the whole deck to composite, but the railing job was almost 6k with the painting and they are moving.

Attachments

• deckkk.jpg
    deckkk.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 17
Plumbing in general. Your either dealing with shit or constantly wet. If you fuck up it’s going to cost thousands to repair. Plus you always seem to have your neck craned at some weird angle for hours at a time. Il do everything that dosent involve shit.
Outside of that I’ll do everything else because I’m cheap and spiteful and somehow manage to do it correctly.

Just finished this. Commute was good. 2 houses down :D
I suggested PVC risers, and convert the whole deck to composite, but the railing job was almost 6k with the painting and they are moving.
looks great bro!

Plumbing in general. Your either dealing with shit or constantly wet. If you fuck up it’s going to cost thousands to repair. Plus you always seem to have your neck craned at some weird angle for hours at a time. Il do everything that dosent involve shit.
Outside of that I’ll do everything else because I’m cheap and spiteful and somehow manage to do it correctly.
There's no inbetween with plumbing. It's either an easy fix or a fucking nightmare.

Jack of a few trades here - carpentry/framing, can drop/buck/split trees, have transplanted/relocated a ton of shrubs in our yard, have done a stone patio & outdoor bar, built a shed on a friends property, helped friends with decks, etc.

Cannot stand doing auto work (dodged too many thrown wrenches as a kid), not a fan of electrical or plumbing, but will do when needed. Use dto do all my guitar work, but my eyes are not what they used to be.

I hate scope creep when my wife wants to do a project - ALWAYS becomes a monstrosity of a job, and I tell her she always prefers the "path of most resistance".

HGTV needs to be banned, as my wife gets wayyyyy too many ideas from that hack channel and all the hack flippers.

Back