Friedman SmallBox Boosted w/Timmy (second clip added)

• Thread starter Thread starter Crunchity
  • Start date Start date
Crunchity
Crunchity
Wanted to toss up a quick clip of the SmallBox and Timmy pedal pushing the BE channel just a bit. Those killer clips from yngzaklynch and his SAT modded Friedman had raised a few questions about getting that level of gain from a stock SmallBox with a boost. So for those that were curious...

FWIW, this is the BE channel with the gain at 2:00, Timmy set for a typical clean boost (volume way up, gain almost off). A complete mixed bag of nonsense, root/5th chords, open chords, a few bigger chords and an ugly wank with zero grease, etc, but hopefully the articulate, punchy vibe of the amp comes through!

Did you end up adding another mic to your 906/57 combo for more ambience or thickness? Sounds great by the way!

Kapo_Polenton":1ttd0v1i said:
Did you end up adding another mic to your 906/57 combo for more ambience or thickness? Sounds great by the way!
Thanks! That pic in the clip, it's my fav cab for for close recording, like a mutt cab. I have the original quad of 55hz G12H30 blackbacks it came with of course, but I yanked and stored a couple of them so I could fool around with other setups. The lower right is the blackback + 906/57 setup for all things crunch and tight (what you hear in this clip). The lower left setup is the r144 ribbon/i5 pair on a an old G12M for all things lead and spongey. I just pull up the Focusrite mix gui and select the stereo/input pair I'm wanting to use while muting the other pair. I'm not ready to experiment blending 4 mics at a time...beyond my pay grade lol!! FWIW, the solo in my sig tune is also the boosted SmallBox through that r144/i5 + Greenback setup...a lot warmer, more chew, etc. I gotta say though, after hearing yngzaklynch and his Friedman through V30's, I may have to pull another Blackback out of that cab and slap a v30 in!!

Thanks calvin!

I am also contemplating getting a V30. I find more and more that from a listening perspective, they record extremely well even if I am not the biggest fan of them in the room so to speak. Good idea on using diff mics for lead work. That is my gripe too. I now have a nice fat tone but I find it better suited to lead work while I prefer the cut of a 57 for rythm..

Sounds great! I love boosting the BE channel of my BE100 with my OCD. Friedman's stuff really responds well to boosts and OD pedals. I get board and run my BE through my Mesa OS412 from time to time but always come back to my Friedman cab with greenies and V30s.

Really sounds great! Didn't realize how punchy the BE side of the amp can sound. Thanks for posting.

Thanks again, all! I agree about the pedals...this is my first experience with a Friedman and it does sound really great regardless of which of the few pedals I've experimented with (the BB Preamp sounds killer for solo juicing with this amp).

I don't know if I posted this clip here, but this is the PLEXI channel and the Timmy Pedal again, trying to get some VH/Brown sound happening for shits and grins. I LOVE this amp!! I did have to notch up the drive on the Timmy (about 1/4) to get the hair needed on that cleaner channel of the amp.

Back