G.I.T vs Berklee

• G.I.T

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Berklee

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
adam
adam
Just weighing up my options for september 2008. Im doin National Diploma in Music Practice for 2 years startin this sept.

berklee is in boston.
G.I.T is in Hollywood CA. (Home of Boogies) :)

So whats your views on this.

Bob Savage":9f7de said:
What are your goals?

keep practicing for 5 hours a day, build it up gradually to 10 hours. Do these 2 years and practice for ages everyday, and do my best and id like to perform professionally in the future maybe. Il take it step by step.

adam":69cd3 said:
keep practicing for 5 hours a day, build it up gradually to 10 hours. Do these 2 years and practice for ages everyday, and do my best and id like to perform professionally in the future maybe. Il take it step by step.

So you're only concerned about being a great guitar player?

Bob Savage":c848a said:
So you're only concerned about being a great guitar player?

Like i said i have no idea what i wanna do, but thats wat id like to do, perform professionally.

adam":a645e said:
Like i said i have no idea what i wanna do, but thats wat id like to do, perform professionally.

O.K., I have no recommendation.

adam":858a1 said:
But have you got any idea's of what i could possibly do?

You could possibly go to GIT or Berkley.

adam":c5aab said:
Can u fill me in on any info about these places?

No, not really.

Here's why I was asking though. If you just want to focus on guitar, GIT is sufficient. In my opinion, however, you will be exposed to far greater possibilites at Berkley. In other words, if being a musician, as opposed to a smoking guitar player, is your goal, I would consider Berkley.

Yea id be more interested in composing, arranging, and everything about music. But who says i cant be smokin from berklee? :P

Im leanin towards berklee at the mo.

adam":6ba2b said:
Yea id be more interested in composing, arranging, and everything about music. But who says i cant be smokin from berklee? :P

I don't know, who says that? I haven't seen anybody say it.

Chances are that you're going to end up a teacher at best if you rely on a school to get you a career.
They will teach you how to get the most out of your ability. But what you make of it is up to you.
personally I'd pick MI over Berkely, unless you want a more trad. Jazz edumacation.

degenaro":16c65 said:
Chances are that you're going to end up a teacher at best if you rely on a school to get you a career.
They will teach you how to get the most out of your ability. But what you make of it is up to you.
personally I'd pick MI over Berkely, unless you want a more trad. Jazz edumacation.

Will MI teach me about composition, arranging and all music theory?

Im not into jazz.

adam":51cf2 said:
Will MI teach me about composition, arranging and all music theory?

Im not into jazz.
Neither school will unless you take the courses in compostion and arranging.
Theory is taught by both.

Any chance you could tell me the Pro's and con's of either of the two.

Is there any other place that might interest me other than Berklee or MI.

I knew a few guys that went to GIT. Back in the late 80's and early 90's it was the place to be. But going to GIT or Berkeley doesn't mean it will get you into a good band. I remember when grunge hit there were ads from bands looking for guitar players that specifically stated, "NO GIT and NO pointy headstocks".

I often found that by networking yourself with other people and bands can really take you places.

As far as practicing and being a better player is concerned...well with the internet, Instructional video tapes and DVD's, tablature books, online lessons, etc etc etc, you probably could fill up your day for years on end with stuff to practice without going to any school. At this point in my life i strongly believe that some people just "have it". Those that don't can get better with practice. I mean look at Paul Gilbert or Jason Becker, those guys could shred like hell by the time they were 16. They just have talent and they probably did practice a lot at home but i bet they didn't struggle as much as most of us, having long spider fingers probably doesn't hurt either.

A lot of it is also how motivated you are. My problem was always self discipline. Can you practice for 2 hours straight without watching TV or going on the internet?

Back