• Start date Start date

G.I.T vs Berklee

• G.I.T

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Berklee

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
adam":ef096 said:
Any chance you could tell me the Pro's and con's of either of the two.

Is there any other place that might interest me other than Berklee or MI.

If you did decide to go the GIT you should learn a lot before you go, or just get a lot of the basics out of the way so you won't waste time there with it. Learn all your chords and scales before you go so they can show you what to do with them. Learn every which way to play a minor or a major7th or a dominant chord.

My one friend went there in 89 but he could shred before he went. He did get some lessons from Gilbert. My friend could shred like a Demon but around 1995 he discovered alcohol, pussy and Hendrix and his shred days were over.

adam":972e3 said:
well, i dont know anything bout theory..

I don't know how it is now, but GIT used to have a minimum requirement for admission, and not knowing about theory isn't one of them. You need some background before you jump in at either school. Even if they let you in, you'd be ripping yourself off to go without having a good foundation to build upon.

Well bear in mind il be doin a lot of theory these next 2 years at Music college.

I went to GIT in 95-96 (one year program). It was cool...the GIT 4 year degree program is alot more comprehensive and most likely covers all the same stuff as Berkelee. Make sure you get your reading down before you go!

im leanin towards GIT at the mo, im just readin thru their site and PDF documents. You mean sight reading right? il work on that.

Greazygeo":a164c said:
I went to GIT in 95-96 (one year program). It was cool...the GIT 4 year degree program is alot more comprehensive and most likely covers all the same stuff as Berkelee. Make sure you get your reading down before you go!

How is GIT these days as far as stylistic diversity? That's one of the things that at least some years ago, I think Berkley had over GIT.

Bob Savage":49801 said:
How is GIT these days as far as stylistic diversity? That's one of the things that at least some years ago, I think Berkley had over GIT.
They pretty much covered everything and had playing workshops too. The core curriculum is alot of jazz emphasis. This was ten years ago too. When I went it was the last of the one year programs, they were going to extend it to two years so I don't know what they changed since then.

adam":dd5ff said:
im leanin towards GIT at the mo, im just readin thru their site and PDF documents. You mean sight reading right? il work on that.
Not really sight reading, but reading in general. They have a GREAT reading program, but the more prepared you are, the more cool stuff you can take advantage of.

They are both great schools, just which "sites" you want to see!

like the other people have said, GIT focuses on playing guitar, berklee focuses on making you a well rounded musician. but berklee does have the biggest guitar department of any school in the world, even bigger than GIT, so keep that in mind. i went to berklee as you know so if you have any questions feel free to ask..

consider the $$ as well. GIT was a chunk of change in the early 90's when i looked at it, and it isn't cheap to live around there either

I haven't looked into it in years, but they used to have a "Summer Session" where you could go and get your feet wet. Might be worth a look for next year.

Try to find somebody locally who went there and pick their brain.

Danyeo hit it on the head. Definitely look at their admissions package where they ask you about chords and scales. If it doesn't make sense, i'd get up to speed before attending.

Gitfiddler":3faa2 said:
consider the $$ as well. GIT was a chunk of change in the early 90's when i looked at it, and it isn't cheap to live around there either

How does the cost of living in Berkeley compare to L.A.? Berkeley is right across the bridge from San Francisco, where the cost of living is ultra-high.

Shiny_Surface":0a755 said:
I thought it was in the Boston MA area :?

Whoops, I think you're right. I was thinking of Berkeley Berkeley, not Berkeley. :o

Bob Savage":8eeea said:
Whoops, I think you're right. I was thinking of Berkeley Berkeley, not Berkeley. :o

lol....ok. its BERKLEE for the record. 150 mass ave boston.

Stratboy151":c1b32 said:
lol....ok. its BERKLEE for the record. 150 mass ave boston.

See, I wasn't even thinking Berkeley Berkeley, or Berkeley, but I should have been thinking Berklee, and not Berkeley Berklee either, just Berklee Berklee, or Berklee. DOH! <we need a Homer emoticon>

Bob Savage":d2cb8 said:
See, I wasn't even thinking Berkeley Berkeley, or Berkeley, but I should have been thinking Berklee, and not Berkeley Berklee either, just Berklee Berklee, or Berklee. DOH! <we need a Homer emoticon>
#-o :headbash: :löl:

danyeo":25667 said:
I knew a few guys that went to GIT. Back in the late 80's and early 90's it was the place to be. But going to GIT or Berkeley doesn't mean it will get you into a good band. I remember when grunge hit there were ads from bands looking for guitar players that specifically stated, "NO GIT and NO pointy headstocks".

I often found that by networking yourself with other people and bands can really take you places.

As far as practicing and being a better player is concerned...well with the internet, Instructional video tapes and DVD's, tablature books, online lessons, etc etc etc, you probably could fill up your day for years on end with stuff to practice without going to any school. At this point in my life i strongly believe that some people just "have it". Those that don't can get better with practice. I mean look at Paul Gilbert or Jason Becker, those guys could shred like hell by the time they were 16. They just have talent and they probably did practice a lot at home but i bet they didn't struggle as much as most of us, having long spider fingers probably doesn't hurt either.

A lot of it is also how motivated you are. My problem was always self discipline. Can you practice for 2 hours straight without watching TV or going on the internet?
Except being able to "shred" does not make you a good player.

Back