Gaustad at it again...Fair Warning deep dive

• Thread starter Thread starter SpiderWars
  • Start date Start date
So, I see he talks about the pickup using Short Rough Cast A5. Ive been arguing this theory hard, (see previous posts) as Gibson had standardized on these mags by 61, the year of the ES335 Ed pulled the PAF from. This is easily my favorite mag. Not at harsh as an A5. Not as squishy as an A2. And using the shaken was good call because the PAF would’ve been rewound by hand, and removing slugs and screws to use the machine winders isn’t typical for rewinds. I’m curious why the overwound screw coil and not the slug

Cool stuff. His tone still seems to be missing clarity and "pop" to the strings. Could likely be that he's not using "new" speakers (meaning he doesnt have access to the original speakers EVH used "as new")

I still cringe when people play the intro to Mean Street wrong. I had a friend who could play it perfectly and would do it on a Gibson hollow body jazz guitar. People would freak out.
He also mentions the 250k pot. That’ll definitely neuter some clarity

Cool stuff. His tone still seems to be missing clarity and "pop" to the strings. Could likely be that he's not using "new" speakers (meaning he doesnt have access to the original speakers EVH used "as new")

I still cringe when people play the intro to Mean Street wrong. I had a friend who could play it perfectly and would do it on a Gibson hollow body jazz guitar. People would freak out.
There is something missing, I was waiting for someone else to say it. It also could just be the recording.

Is there something specific that most people miss in the intro that you're talking about? Is it the 'fade in' part itself? For me that's the hardest part, the timing of that fade in part. Always sounds clunky and not machine-like.

So, I see he talks about the pickup using Short Rough Cast A5. Ive been arguing this theory hard, (see previous posts) as Gibson had standardized on these mags by 61, the year of the ES335 Ed pulled the PAF from. This is easily my favorite mag. Not at harsh as an A5. Not as squishy as an A2. And using the shaken was good call because the PAF would’ve been rewound by hand, and removing slugs and screws to use the machine winders isn’t typical for rewinds. I’m curious why the overwound screw coil and not the slug
After I played the Jalen Hybrid with stock A2 for a while I wanted more sizzle and tightness and put a short, rough A5 in it and that did it. I love that pickup. In that video he said he wasn't sure of the DCR but if it's like mine it's not 14k4 like he suggested. Mine are one coil 7k2 and the other 4k5 (1 coil Franky; 1 coil '78), just like you spec'd it I think. That's for 50mm.

After I played the Jalen Hybrid with stock A2 for a while I wanted more sizzle and tightness and put a short, rough A5 in it and that did it. I love that pickup. In that video he said he wasn't sure of the DCR but if it's like mine it's not 14k4 like he suggested. Mine are one coil 7k2 and the other 4k5 (1 coil Franky; 1 coil '78), just like you spec'd it I think. That's for 50mm.

Yeah, I’d like more info. While he did mention asymmetric, he didn’t indicate different wire gauges like the hybrid has. He mentioned 17%. That could have been 17% coils mismatch or 17% DC.

There is something missing, I was waiting for someone else to say it. It also could just be the recording.

Is there something specific that most people miss in the intro that you're talking about? Is it the 'fade in' part itself? For me that's the hardest part, the timing of that fade in part. Always sounds clunky and not machine-like.
There is a hammer on with the left or right hand that doubles up on that tapping intro. Seems nobody can get that same attack Eddie gets on the album. Eddie has swing while doing it. Everyone else sounds like a robot.

Good sleuthing Sherlock Spider....:p

I know Celestion made a 150 watt Sidewinder speaker in 1983/1984 because I owned an 84 combo amp with one. . I remember seeing G1270's in the 80's so The G1270 was early 80's I can't find a birth date on them. I'm not sure when the T75 watt started being made but according to a quick search I found this....

The G12T-75 first appeared in 1985, as the new version of the G12M-70. Curiously enough, this speaker is in production until today and is found almost everywhere, also being used in the current Marshall 1960A and 1960B cabs. It's offered in both 8ohms and 16ohms.

For the G1265 this is direct from Celestion....

Originally created in the late 70s using more modern materials and techniques for a higher power handling the G12-65 is widely regarded as one of the best guitar speakers ever produced for use in a 4×12 cabinet. With its fast attack and tightly controlled low end the G12-65 had become a firm favourite with hard rock players by the early 80s. The precisely tuned mid-range and crisp defined top-end contribute to an aggressive crunch sound that punches through the mix while the mid-range warmth and detail give weight and depth to single notes.
I think it was '84 when the T75 first came out and they were just a one part difference from the G1265 that it replaced, I think it was the material that changed on the former or something and gave it another 10w power handling. @Racerxrated would know all this, friggin encyclopedia on this stuff. I have an '84 cab with these T75 and I love them but they are still markedly different than a Green/Cream/Blackback.

I built a '68 12000 series Metro clone like that one in the video and it nailed the tone. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it. I'd build another one, but the transformers are pretty hard to come by these days. My tech says Hammonds will do just fine, but I kind of want Merrens.

Last edited:
I think it was '84 when the T75 first came out and they were just a one part difference from the G1265 that it replaced, I think it was the material that changed on the former or something and gave it another 10w power handling. @Racerxrated would know all this, friggin encyclopedia on this stuff. I have an '84 cab with these T75 and I love them but they are still markedly different than a Green/Cream/Blackback.
Yep I have one of those cabs as well, speakers are date coded to May 1984, cab even has the wrong ID plate on the back with the 65's power rating..

Side by side the 75 has slightly extended highs and extended lows than the 65...but the mids are the same. I have had an 83 B cab with the vented T75; I think that was the first year.

I would like to see Al Estrada play through that rig. It's impressive sounding to say the least. Maybe he should rent it for the last DLR shows.

So I ordered one of these Hybrid pickups from Jalen. Installed it in my oldest Warmoth (Alder/Maple top) yesterday and it is HOT and CRISPY! It really does have a PAF-ish voice but just way more. But then later I remembered that Gaustad said he was using a 250k volume pot with it. I'm still using the 500k volume and I do have a 500k tone pot connected. Rolling back the tone helped but it was still a lot. But even so, I still liked it. It feels great and the tone when rolling back the volume is really great. I need to go back in and cut the springs anyway, they are fully compressed and I'd like to go a tiny bit higher. I love the way the Bourns Vintage Blues feel (and I paid enough for it!) so I'll prob just put a 470k across it...or maybe I'll try a 1M (333k total) then add another 1M (250k total) and decide.

Last edited:

Back