Gibson G Force tuning. What a pile of sh.......

• Thread starter Thread starter marshallmel
  • Start date Start date
I highly recommend a (German made) Faber Tone Locking bridge. The current Gibson hardware is made in China, so the quality quite bad. Here's a pic of the Faber TL ABR-1 installed... I ordered mine with un-notched brass saddles, so I could align the strings myself. The difference in tone and sustain is immediate. Notice how I ever so lightly notched the saddles... You don't need to groove them excessively.

TrueTone500":3q2up6vv said:
...The current Gibson hardware is made in China, so the quality quite bad...
Actually, the ABR-1's and light weight stoptails on the Historics still come from the same metal shop in Nashville (outside vendor), and have been since the early 90's.

BackCrack":17653j1j said:
TrueTone500":17653j1j said:
...The current Gibson hardware is made in China, so the quality quite bad...
Actually, the ABR-1's and light weight stoptails on the Historics still come from the same metal shop in Nashville (outside vendor), and have been since the early 90's.
The aluminum tail pieces are USA made, the bridges are not. The bridges are made by a China based manufacturer of coffee pots. The pickup covers are also MIC.

I find it hilarious that enough time has passed that Norlin Gibsons are raved about...well guys consider yourselves fortunate. I'll never be competing with you to get one.... :lol: :LOL:
Unfortunately that says a lot more about current Gibson than it does 70's models.
Agreed about the new neck profile. Hate it.

I have 3 LP's, 2012 trad + (one piece board) a 2008 57 RI 3 PU beauty Custom and a 2009 R7 gold top -- all 3 are great, well built tone monsters. There are great LP's out there in all years just as there are crap LP's in every priceline and production year. Let your hands and ears do the talking, with inconsistencies in production you cant say all are great or all suck.

I also have a Faber ABR-1L with brass saddles, Faber ToneLock TP studs and Callaham steel TP on my trad, replaced nut with Tusq XL nut so it did take a bit to get that one to sound and play how I really wanted it to, also 36th ani dimarzios.

10369894_10204809765459440_6952583923993503227_n.jpg

11009141_10205006864066782_5177606308656891872_n.jpg

The new 2015 crap on the Gibsons is directly from Henrys FirebirdX ideas.
He pushed that flawed fuck as the ultimate,most folks laughed,he got even by incorporating the shit across many models..
Douche Bag.............

skoora":11i7km3l said:
I find it hilarious that enough time has passed that Norlin Gibsons are raved about...well guys consider yourselves fortunate. I'll never be competing with you to get one.... :lol: :LOL:
Unfortunately that says a lot more about current Gibson than it does 70's models.
Agreed about the new neck profile. Hate it.

I have an '82 Les Paul Standard ( Norlin Era ) that would blow your mind. Greg Platzer, who works on some of the best LP's ever made, did a refret on it and offered to buy it on several occasions. Persistent guy that Greg Platzer.

eh, Faber Germany bridges are made in China. They are made by ping, which is the same company that makes the bridges for Gibson.

acalaf":1tnarrwz said:
eh, Faber Germany bridges are made in China. They are made by ping, which is the same company that makes the bridges for Gibson.
True, but the level of QC in the Faber bridges is much better than what Gibson is putting out. The Grover hardware seems good, but the ABR-1 that was on my 2011 is some of the worst I've seen on a Gibson. No comparison between Faber and Gibson.

A popular pickup builder sent me the link that tracks what asian manufacturers USA based companies are using. I don't believe the bridges are made by Ping, but another China based company. As I recall, they are primarily known for making coffee pots and tea kettles. I think Grover tuners were also listed under Ping.

I don't recall any of my Norlin era LP's using Chinese made parts? So much for quality... :lol: :LOL:

Man, that is a lot of money for a LP Standard.

I almost hope they hit a rough period so they wake the hell up and get back to making amazing guitars.

AND FIX THE DAMNED WEAK NECK ANGLE!!!!

marshallmel":2pjsxjjy said:
18 month interest free financing at Guitar Centet is ending at the end of February. I figured I'd take advantage of it and get a LP Jr. Went with a Special DC with P-100's. Wasn't too keen on the automatic tuners, but I figured I could get used to them. The guitar wasn't staying in tune the best but I figured with new strings and a set up it would be fine. WRONG!!! What a colossal piece of shit this tuning system is. I put new strings on, stretched them out and yet I am still constantly having to tune this thing. Looks like instead of taking advantage of Guitar Centers 18 month interest free financing, I'll be taking advantage of their 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

My same exact experience with these at GC.

Played the same 2 guitars 3 different times for 20 min or so.
Each time stretched the hell out of the strings and would never stay in tune.

And the G system itself is a real POS, tuned it correctly about 40% of the time

Back