Going to Tokyo, need guitar buying advice

• Thread starter Thread starter mincy
  • Start date Start date
mincy
mincy
Hey all, going to Tokyo for my first time this November and I've always heard the music stores are out of this world. I'm looking for suggestions on places to go while I'm there. Also, doubt I'll be able to carry much back with me on the plane, so if anyone has had stores there ship to the USA or had to ship it themselves from Japan, any advice on that would be much appreciated too. Thanks!

I'm hoping to go within a year so I'll be watching this thread

anime is big there:

anime-guitar.jpg

Happy hunting & enjoy!

This is the mecca https://maps.app.goo.gl/jvovXZtVXFgUzEQXA
Ochanomizu: 15 minute walk from Akihabara or take the train to ochanomizu station. Put a day or two or three aside and wander through all the floors of the various shops on this street and down the side streets. Shibuya has a couple of guitar and amp stores too, but it's more mainstream stuff.

Reactions: rsm
I’ll be there in late September through mid October. Never been. Cool thread.

Tokyo is amazing. But every guitar you see. Some of the early 80s Greco and Tokai are KILLER! You must immediately buy everything you see!

This is the mecca https://maps.app.goo.gl/jvovXZtVXFgUzEQXA
Ochanomizu: 15 minute walk from Akihabara or take the train to ochanomizu station. Put a day or two or three aside and wander through all the floors of the various shops on this street and down the side streets. Shibuya has a couple of guitar and amp stores too, but it's more mainstream stuff.
Sweet, noted. I'm a few subway stops from there, so shouldn't be hard to get to. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: rsm
Tokyo is amazing. But every guitar you see. Some of the early 80s Greco and Tokai are KILLER! You must immediately buy everything you see!
I'm literally hoping to buy 3 or 4 guitars and really looking for stuff I'll never see in the states. But every guitar I see might be a bit ambitious, lol.

From what I understand get ready for the best customer service ever. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would ship home for you.

From what I understand get ready for the best customer service ever. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would ship home for you.
there's youtuber that has a used gear shop; he goes to local guitar shows, pawn shops, etc. in the states, and travels to Japan to buy gear and make videos about it. They make arrangements with a local bulk shipper, and have the stores in Japan ship to their bulk shipper who take care of getting things to their shop in the US.

If you plan on buying a lot of gear, could be an option.

I'm literally hoping to buy 3 or 4 guitars and really looking for stuff I'll never see in the states. But every guitar I see might be a bit ambitious, lol.
If you like Les Paul’s, check out the early 89s Greco,Tokai and even Burnt. I’ve played some absolutely amazing Greco Les Paul’s. I played a killer Tokai about a year ago but the seller was asking way too much.

If you like super strats there are some great builders in Japan. Crews Les Paul’s are also amazing if you find a higher end model. The pickups that come in them are also amazing.

Back