Has anyone played a Chandler Tube Driver?

• Thread starter Thread starter Telephant
  • Start date Start date
Telephant
Telephant
Ralph? Ratter? Jeebus? :D Im thinking this is one of those times when Carl could actually come in handy. :doh:

Im really just curious how much gain these pedals have. At home, I practice a lot though my Tweed Champ clone (1x8). Unless I crank it up loud, the amp always stays clean. So it would be cool if I could a get Marshall style crunch out of it at lower volumes with this pedal. But I hear this pedal is awesome at the overdrive thing... Which could be of some use with my Superbass as well.

Im >this< close to pulling the trigger on ebay for one.

Doooooooooo eeeeeiiiiiiittttttt!!! :D

I haven't played one personally, have heard a local guy or two with one though, and they've always had a great sound so I'd say it couldn't hurt.

StevieRaveOn":0b478 said:

I haven't played one personally, have heard a local guy or two with one though, and they've always had a great sound so I'd say it couldn't hurt.
How much gain do you think these things have? If its like Tubescreamer amount... Its not worth it to me. If its like OCD amount, than its totally worth it.

In fact I was actually considering an OCD just because it has quite a bit of gain, but I want to continue my boycott (for selfish reasons of course :D ) of teh Fulltone.

Telephant":0befa said:
StevieRaveOn":0befa said:

How much gain do you think these things have? If its like Tubescreamer amount... Its not worth it to me. If its like OCD amount, than its totally worth it.

In fact I was actually considering an OCD just because it has quite a bit of gain, but I want to continue my boycott (for selfish reasons of course :D ) of teh Fulltone.

If it's because Mike can be a prick, just buy used... That way you're not really supporting... If it's something else, fill me in. :)

StevieRaveOn":06e62 said:
Telephant":06e62 said:
StevieRaveOn":06e62 said:

If it's because Mike can be a prick, just buy used... That way you're not really supporting... If it's something else, fill me in. :)
Thats exactly why. He was a dick to my friend who techs for EJ, same guy who built my pedalboard. But more than that, Fulltone pedals have never impressed me. Although the OCD did.

I dont actually boycott them per se, but you know... :lol: :LOL:

Telephant":38e46 said:
Thats exactly why. He was a dick to my friend who techs for EJ, same guy who built my pedalboard. But more than that, Fulltone pedals have never impressed me. Although the OCD did.

I dont actually boycott them per se, but you know... :lol: :LOL:

I hear ya, I just go used, and they don't see a dime. I don't think my playing one adds any "endorsement value" to the products since I'm a nobody. :D If I ever had a problem with a manufacturer and wanted to use the product high-profile... rehousing's a snap.

I have one of the old Hughes and Kettner Tubemans which does very good for a tube overdrive and used can be had cheap. I just got a Menatone/Fargen VOS and am very impressed with the tone and overall sweet overdrive. Check out the clips on the Fargen amp web site. The VOS was $299 shipped overland mule express but worth the bucks. My tubeman is a spare for lightweight no pedalboard practices.

Telephant":81d0f said:
Ralph? Ratter? Jeebus? :D Im thinking this is one of those times when Carl could actually come in handy. :doh:

Im really just curious how much gain these pedals have. At home, I practice a lot though my Tweed Champ clone (1x8). Unless I crank it up loud, the amp always stays clean. So it would be cool if I could a get Marshall style crunch out of it at lower volumes with this pedal. But I hear this pedal is awesome at the overdrive thing... Which could be of some use with my Superbass as well.

I used to have one of the originals, bought it around 1989 if I recall correctly.

It was pretty cool and had a nice clear overdrive, I sold it to one of my guitar buddies who was a real purist and wanted an all tube signal path including the overdrive pedal :lol: :LOL:

I'm pretty sure the pedal had enough gain that you could run it into a clean channel but you had to max it out it's been so long I can't be 100% sure though.

Telephant":d1555 said:

hey man, I use to own one years ago. Its an interesting pedal. Like Eric Johnson, I replaced the stock tube with a Yugaslavian one that are REALLY hard to find and really wakes up the pedal. It's a different type of OD in that it has warm/tubey and a bit of soft fuzz to it. The maxon 880 OD is the same kinda animal...which i like better actually. It will also make your strat sound fuller, but don't expect a Crunch metal riff pedal tight bottom thing..great for soaring leads!

i believe satch used one on the surfin with the alien album

Telephant":8b88d said:
StevieRaveOn":8b88d said:

OCD = RULES!

Steve

I had one and thought it was cool...but too clean for my liking

Telephant":962ad said:

Sorry man, I'm not much help here. I actually owned the rackmount version many moons ago, but to be honest I can barely remember what it sounded like. And that was with a rack setup, so it wouldn't really apply to your champ or marshall. . But based on what EJ and Andy Timmons get out of it, it must be cool.

It worked better with some amps than others. It had some old marshall like tone (midrange) - but in a fake kinda way. It well not make it sound like a stack. I had one for 17 years and did not use it much. If I wanted that sound I would use a different amp. I like the OCD much better.

Telephant":b206d said:

Since you're in Austin you might know David Holt (http://www.davidholtmusic.com/index.htm) ? If so, he's got one that was made for Eric Johnson and it's signed on the bottom from Butler to EJ. David told me that EJ gave it to him. I guess it's one of the "good ones" whatever that means. Every time I've worked with David he's played that pedal and it always sounded good, but I haven't played it myself.

Back