Heaven and Hell & Mob Rules

• Thread starter Thread starter SQUAREHEAD
  • Start date Start date
SQUAREHEAD
SQUAREHEAD
Just revisited these two after a few years.
Masterpieces…

So, I always thought Tony used a Mesa MkI on these albums, somewhere I read that, a long time ago.

It seems he was using Marshall Superleads though.

Overall, I think I (slightly) prefer Heaven and Hell over Mob Rules, but you can’t deny, ‘Sign of the Southern Cross’, ‘Voodoo’, ‘Mob Rules’, ‘Falling Off the Edge of the World’.

My personal favorite Black Sabbath era.

IMG_8548.jpeg

Yep,
It’s great too, DC.
I understand, by the time they were done with it, it was pretty much a studio album.
But, I still like the raw edge to the ‘somewhat’ live recordings👍
Yeah it seems that a few of those "live" albums of the era had some studio magic added.
I have just always gravitated towards live or somewhat live albums over the studios.

But you're right with the Dio Sabbath era, fucking rocks!
Of course I'm odd, I'm a JEL era Ozzy guy too.

Jake is amazing. I was at BATM 1984 tour (Toronto, Canada). Man, he was on fire!

Ratt opened, Warren is phenomenal too.
Ratt coulda been so much bigger with a better Frontman, Vocalist.
In my opinion, Steven Pearcy is horrible.
Ive recently gone back to the first couple Ratt albums.
Great songs and tone!

Jake is amazing. I was at BATM 1984 tour (Toronto, Canada). Man, he was on fire!

Ratt opened, Warren is phenomenal too.
Ratt coulda been so much bigger with a better Frontman, Vocalist.
In my opinion, Steven Pearcy is horrible.
I'm seeing Pearcy in a few weeks. I never got to see Ratt live so a mini bucketlist.

The first time I heard "Voodoo" I was in a buddy's car and we were heading to a guitar store. That song gave me goosebumps for some reason. Tony is the riff master.

I like both albums but wish I could take songs from each and mix them. Neon Nights is one of my favorites and watched a stripper dance to Lady Evil when I was on a work trip to Florida while in the military, so that has special memories....lol.

Dio Sabbath is killer. Mob Rules was the first one I heard; I was 12 yo when HH came out...I heard it on the Heavy Metal soundtrack record I bought in the early 80s.
I had always read that HH was Marshall; and MR was Mesa. The tones between both albums seem to fit that analogy.

The first time I heard "Voodoo" I was in a buddy's car and we were heading to a guitar store. That song gave me goosebumps for some reason. Tony is the riff master.

I like both albums but wish I could take songs from each and mix them. Neon Nights is one of my favorites and watched a stripper dance to Lady Evil when I was on a work trip to Florida while in the military, so that has special memories....lol.
I used to sing Neon Nights 30 yrs ago lol....prob my fav of all the Dio Sabbath.

I guess this is gonna be kinda like the Maiden thing for me except I like Dio even less than Dickinson.

Outstanding albums. What a resurgence of a career for Iommi and Sabbath to get Dio and produce those two albums.

Reactions: rsm
I guess this is gonna be kinda like the Maiden thing for me except I like Dio even less than Dickinson.
My mom had met Ronnie a number of times and my uncle, her older brother actually fairly knew him.
This is way back when he was still touring around Utica and the rest of NYS.
My uncle ran a club that Ronnie would play at, Ronnie would stick around for the after hours poker games.

That’s the song that caught me immediately on that album also.
Geezer’s bass lines on Voodoo are
incredible…
Just pummelling.👍🙏

Back