Hiwatt Super Hi 50 blackout

• Thread starter Thread starter RedPlated
  • Start date Start date
Not the most amazing audio since it was like TV volume, but here's the one I had

Is this on 3 stages? I feel like your amp had more compression and saturation than mine at that gain setting.

I’ve been using mine with G12H30’s. I think my greenback/ v30 cab may be a better match. I’ll try that later today.

I’ll try to make a clip soon. I’ve been slammed working on amps the past two weeks.

Is this on 3 stages? I feel like your amp had more compression and saturation than mine at that gain setting.

I’ve been using mine with G12H30’s. I think my greenback/ v30 cab may be a better match. I’ll try that later today.

I’ll try to make a clip soon. I’ve been slammed working on amps the past two weeks.

I don't remember, I think both videos have both 3 and 4 stages. Hit the footswitch at some point. Could also be due to power tubes and bias setting. I was using JJ EL34s (not E34L). Biased to about 65%. One video is with Mesa 2x12 w/V30s. The other video is Bogner 4x12 w/G12H75 Creambacks.

I don't remember, I think both videos have both 3 and 4 stages. Hit the footswitch at some point. Could also be due to power tubes and bias setting. I was using JJ EL34s (not E34L). Biased to about 65%. One video is with Mesa 2x12 w/V30s. The other video is Bogner 4x12 w/G12H75 Creambacks.

I didn’t notice the channel switch. I’ll rewatch.

The first video shows as private. Can’t see it.

Also, where is the schematic with pot values? The layout I have doesn’t have them
marked.

Last edited:
I didn’t notice the channel switch. I’ll rewatch.

The first video shows as private. Can’t see it.

Also, where is the schematic with pot values? The layout I have doesn’t have them
marked.

Oh, does it work now?

Schematic and my unfinished layout are on SLO Clone in the Super-Hi thread.

I pulled that schematic from sloclone. I really wonder if the amp is supposed to have 250KA masters. I’m going to have to put one in and compare it. I also just realized the bias splitters are 100k. I bet it’ll sound way better with 150k or 220k. Lower values are too brown and soft sounding for me. Even within.0047 PI couplers. I’m going to try different values splitters.

I pulled that schematic from sloclone. I really wonder if the amp is supposed to have 250KA masters. I’m going to have to put one in and compare it. I also just realized the bias splitters are 100k. I bet it’ll sound way better with 150k or 220k. Lower values are too brown and soft sounding for me. Even within.0047 PI couplers. I’m going to try different values splitters.

Just be careful you don't exceed the total resistance for the tube in that part of the circuit. Read the EL34 data sheet for that. The amp has 22K input grid stoppers. So if you use 220K grid leak/bias splitters, you have to add 22K + anything else the grids see.

Also, it's a typical DR504 PI and power section. That's where the Hiwatt sound comes from.

Last edited:
Just be careful you don't exceed the total resistance for the tube in that part of the circuit. Read the EL34 data sheet for that. The amp has 22K input grid stoppers. So if you use 220K grid leak/bias splitters, you have to add 22K + anything else the grids see.

Also, it's a typical DR504 PI and power section. That's where the Hiwatt sound comes from.
Are those typical Hiwatt PI values ? I thought they were taking more cues from Larry. He uses .047 uF couplers a lot. I know he uses 100k bias splitters on some amps, but with .1 uF to keep the bass similar.

I did throw a small bright cap on the gain pot with great results. It tightened the slight looseness and added a bit of saturation. But it’s small enough that it doesn’t get wonky at lower gain settings.

Last edited:

Back