Huge beefy pickups for thin bright strats.

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
I have a JB in my maple bodied G&L. It sounds awesome, and I usually don't like JBs much. Pretty sure it's an 80's JB though, so that might have something to do with it.

Are you going for high output? Moderate?.. The AT-1 might be good in that guitar.

metalmaniac93":1zr4vglz said:
MCP Afwayu!!!

+1 :thumbsup:

But, seriously I can't imagine a better choice. Maybe it's just something inherent to the guitar...just sayin'.

barnesjd":yemzj2pt said:
metalmaniac93":yemzj2pt said:
MCP Afwayu!!!

That's what the OP states is currently in the guitar... :confused:

Then he must not have it wired correct because every Afwayu I have played in at least three strat guitars have been beefy. And maybe he want the lifeless muddy TZ sound?

se7en":1ixul9pq said:
metalmaniac93":1ixul9pq said:
MCP Afwayu!!!

+1 :thumbsup:

But, seriously I can't imagine a better choice. Maybe it's just something inherent to the guitar...just sayin'.

I have even had underwound Afwayu's installed in an maple neck thru/alder sides RR Jackson and it slayed!!! It is actually my buddies guitar and I sold them to him since they were to thick/bassy in one of my Carvin Super Strats. Man that thing destroys for metal!!

I just threw an afwayu into my thin American standard start and it got considerably fatter.

Try a 250k pot as suggested if this isn't enough.

I'm waiting for a solid rosewood neck to arrive , should fatten her up some more.

I have a 50th Anniversary with Fender custom shop 57s and it's the fattest Strat I've ever played.

The afwayu did fatten the guitar ...I'm just looking for something's big thicker and beefier with more lows low kids and mids...sweet highs

Crunchtime":73zloo4p said:
Dimarzio Breed or Dominion.

Was coming in to recommend the Breed. Dominion isnt as beefy as the breed. But, based on your thread title alone, I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend a Breed.

veji":1ct36rwa said:
The afwayu did fatten the guitar ...I'm just looking for something's big thicker and beefier with more lows low kids and mids...sweet highs
For bridge pickups, an A2 magnet humbucker will get you fat mids and sweet highs, but the bottom end might be too loose for even standard tuning. I put a EVH Frankenstein into a maple neck/board, basswood Ibanez that was very spanky and somewhat scooped sounding, I get more mids, a lot of sizzle in the mids and nice harmonics. You could look into swapping in an A8 magnet for more mids, or get a Duncan Alternative 8.

Honestly, if an Afwayu sounds thin, I'd toss the guitar in the trash.

I've played an Afwayu for a while, and it's a huge sounding pickup.

RockStarNick":2ghs3ojm said:
Honestly, if an Afwayu sounds thin, I'd toss the guitar in the trash.

I've played an Afwayu for a while, and it's a huge sounding pickup.

:thumbsup: Yep, then the guitar needs to go!!! If the Afwayu does not do it, I do not know what will except the Tone Zone or the dull Holy Diver.

Honestly, I think you'll still see a bigger difference if you get a new neck (rosewood fretboard) over dicking around with pups.. going to a 250 or 300k pot will kill your dynamics and detail. Better with no tone pot but if you plan to keep the tone pot, it will be flat and uninspiring. (no matter what everyone tells you about seymour designing the JB for 250k pots..which to me only sound good on guitars with a single vol knob)

Back