I played two seconds of my new EQ pedal. Amazing! Ive been in a cave

• Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
I only ran an EQ in the loop of an old Vox modeling amp I had. That said, my ADA rack rig back in the day had the MP-1 and MQ-1 EQ, you can see it here, the MQ-1 was magic IMO

ADA-Main-Rack.jpg

I have a Source Audio EQ2 now, and I usually only run it in front of the amp; even if the amp has an effects loop. Basically I get the sound I want from the amp, then use the EQ for a lead tone.

on amps with 2 or more channels, I'll use it for rhythm variations on the same channel , and for a lead variation as I'll usually have a clean, rhythm and lead channel (e.g., JVM410).

The EQ2 has presets and can be controlled by MIDI to access different patches.

One of the reasons I dig my new-to-me ISP Theta Pro MS is that it has a pre- and post- preamp semi-parametric EQ; 3-bands pre, and 5-bands post.

I only ran an EQ in the loop of an old Vox modeling amp I had. That said, my ADA rack rig back in the day had the MP-1 and MQ-1 EQ, you can see it here, the MQ-1 was magic IMO

View attachment 274740

I have a Source Audio EQ2 now, and I usually only run it in front of the amp; even if the amp has an effects loop. Basically I get the sound I want from the amp, then use the EQ for a lead tone.

on amps with 2 or more channels, I'll use it for rhythm variations on the same channel , and for a lead variation as I'll usually have a clean, rhythm and lead channel (e.g., JVM410).

The EQ2 has presets and can be controlled by MIDI to access different patches.
Noice rack!!!

Reactions: rsm
It is a pretty significant change to my Orange 1x12 combo with that EQ. It is like a car stereo set at stock settings and then you adjust the knobs and comes to life. I'm sure some amps need it more than others.

I like EQ pedals in front, but every time I've tried them in a loop, it took away from the overall tone. Sounded smaller, just not as good. Sure, you can mold the tone better with one but the net result was not what I liked. The only amp that benefitted from an EQ in the loop was a Randall RD 100, which was a garbage amp IMO but needed that loop eq to even sound OK.
But I've used one out front for years...the Dano Fish n Chips, Boss GE10...they were on my board for a long time.

I have the silver one with the eye searing blue, lol. I have an Orange Super 100 and love it but felt it needed some tone sculpting, especially with a 1x12 solid state.
Eye searing blue is incredibly accurate lol. that SOB will blind you on a dark stage lol

I’ve been messing with my old boss ge7

Is that considered a good eq pedal ?

But I've used one out front for years...the Dano Fish n Chips, Boss GE10...they were on my board for a long time.
Fish N Chips is highly underrated, actually one of the best sounding EQ's I've heard.

I like EQ pedals in front, but every time I've tried them in a loop, it took away from the overall tone. Sounded smaller, just not as good. Sure, you can mold the tone better with one but the net result was not what I liked. The only amp that benefitted from an EQ in the loop was a Randall RD 100, which was a garbage amp IMO but needed that loop eq to even sound OK.
So I’ve messed around with one for a few minutes and get where you’re coming from. The amp does sound smaller but I think it’s very similar to a mic’d up sound.

Like an EQ in the loop and then mic’d and EQ’d further at the board might be overkill and take away too much…but at home or practice without a mic at the cone is a sound I’m liking. It’s just seems finished in a good way although I could probably dial it in better with time.

I'll be coming by to see you Braddah - stay tuned!!! WE GET SOME PIT TIME!!!!!! 😎

Sick Aipa man!!!!!

And yes, super slick fiddle (but I'd expect nothing less from you)
ho ripper!
ps the gtr isn’t mine—almost was……. i was just comparing my AipaBolt to “burning water”🥳

I have the silver one with the eye searing blue, lol. I have an Orange Super 100 and love it but felt it needed some tone sculpting, especially with a 1x12 solid state.
A dab or two of dark blue nail polish over each LED will fix the blinding effect ;)

I’ve been messing with my old boss ge7

Is that considered a good eq pedal ?
I used to have one a bazillion years ago, as I recall, it was a great sounding EQ but could be a little on the noisy side. YMMV

Definitely enjoy the EQ in the loop.

Anybody use/try the Archer Rockaway in front?
6 band EQ and a little gain bump as well, if needed.

Steve Stevens was using this one. Turns out it's a cool pedal.

Definitely enjoy the EQ in the loop.

Anybody use/try the Archer Rockaway in front?
6 band EQ and a little gain bump as well, if needed.

Steve Stevens was using this one. Turns out it's a cool pedal.

I like mine. It’s one of 3 boosts I rotate thru. The EQ curve is really strong. Never thought of it until now but I might try it in the loop tonight with gain off and volume at unity.

As a lead boost it has a little cocked wah vibe to it that’s always there. But it’s really only noticeable when playing certain lead stuff. It works pretty well as a boost that keeps the feel unless you really push the gain or volume.

I like mine. It’s one of 3 boosts I rotate thru. The EQ curve is really strong. Never thought of it until now but I might try it in the loop tonight with gain off and volume at unity.

As a lead boost it has a little cocked wah vibe to it that’s always there. But it’s really only noticeable when playing certain lead stuff. It works pretty well as a boost that keeps the feel unless you really push the gain or volume.

Agreed, I do like the option of the boost (not too much), but it's great as an EQ either way. I don't really think of it as a LEAD boost, but rather a way to add different flavors with an alt EQ setting and a little push. Maybe I need to try some more things.

Back