I trust you tone experts here. Help me pick a Marshall head!

• Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
romanianreaper
romanianreaper
I have an EVH 5150-III 6L6, Orange Super Crush 100, and Quilter power amp...but I love that Marshall tone. You guys know tones and really looking to pin down something. Here is what I'm looking for:

- Loud enough for gigs but able to be bedroom amp at home
- Around $700-$1500
- Something that captures everything from early 80s rock to hair metal, etc.

I was originally looking at 20 Watters but those are either not loud enough or paint peeling loud. I was going to get a Froedman Plex down the road but it might be a one trick pony for me and not sure it is worth the price for my needs.

My 5150-III is made in Vietnam, so not worried about where it is made really. I'm leaning towards a 50 watt JVM, DSL 100 (newer) or older 50 watt DSL used.

I had a JVM 100 watt years ago but didn't have it long enough to appreciate it. I like the plexi tones of DrMartini, etc from the 80s and know these amps don't nail those but I also know a lot of that sound is from cranking a Plexi, etc. To be honest, I'd like to just have a great Marshall tone.

In this quest, I seem to find amps that sound great but have to be cranked, or sound phenomenal but are expensive, etc, etc. I really value everyone's opinions.

I've glanced at Ceritone, Friedman, etc. and like I said, not sure paying so much is worth it for what I'm trying to do. Wondering if a $800 DSL 100 will be fun to have and not too much.

I just got a Marshall 2x12 vertical cab. Open to all views and like hearing what people think. I'm selling some stuff and thought it would be great to have a Marshall head again. Like I said, I have other amps to fill different roles if needed whether lighter, solid state, EVH grind, etc.

Thanks!!! RR

JVM.

Any of them will do it.
205-410

It dials a little different than other Marshall's per its design so be aware of that.

Before you spend money you don't have to spend, try a Marshall Origin 50; I have the 1x12 combo, it was good enough to also get the 50H head. It gets you from JTM 45 to plexi, and with dirt/boost may get you to JMP or JCM 800.

The trick is to have the power amp at 3 o'clock or higher; and the power scaling works very well IMO. I don't use the built in boost; set the tilt to noon, dial in your sound, then adjust the tilt (counter clockwise is like the normal channel, clockwise is like treble channel, noon is like jumpered)

The heads are often under $600 new, and often go on sale...

FWIW, I have a JVM410 and 1959HW, and the Origin is great for the price.

Last edited:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50. or 100, but if you get the 100 be sure it is after the bias drift issues were resolved.

I have owned the JVM, Origin, several Jubilees, Studio 800, Studio Vintage, plus tons of 800's and JMP
Aside from the vintage amps, I think my DSL50 sounds better than all of them . It is also the most versatile other than JVM and does not need any pedals, although it takes them well.

Marshall Studio Classic would be a good fit, since you already have the vert 212 to go with it. I would put that up there as another top choice.
Studio Vintage is cool, but it only sounds good cranked.... forget about any good tone at bedroom volumes. I had one for a few months thinking it would be good around the house. Nope. I used with Boss Waza TAE and it was good, but that adds a lot of cost to the equation. Good luck in your decision. Curios how it pans out.

If it does not have to say Marshall on it, The Friedman JEL 20 would be my first recommendation. It does everything you want, but it is red... Lol
I embraced the color and bought the matching cab. Lol. great amp snd sounds like optimized JMP on one channel and hot rodded 800 on the other.

Marshall JCM2000 DSL50. or 100, but if you get the 100 be sure it is after the bias drift issues were resolved.

I have owned the JVM, Origin, several Jubilees, Studio 800, Studio Vintage, plus tons of 800's and JMP
Aside from the vintage amps, I think my DSL50 sounds better than all of them . It is also the most versatile other than JVM and does not need any pedals, although it takes them well.
Separate from the DSL 50, would you pick JVM 50 watt? And can it do bedroom levels?

If it does not have to say Marshall on it, The Friedman JEL 20 would be my first recommendation. It does everything you want, but it is red... Lol
I embraced the color and bought the matching cab. Lol. great amp snd sounds like optimized JMP on one channel and hot rodded 800 on the other.
Oh man. I've had the PT20 V2 and have thr JJ Jr (my stepson uses it). I'm wondering if the JEL is loud enough for gigs? Cool it covers those tones though!

New or old one?

I bought the 100HR new and liked it quite a bit. Some say the H and 2000's sound better but I don't know about that. Maybe the older version sounds more familiar or something. Brighter from what I understand was the main tonal difference and the HR is more versatile with the controls.

I would much rather go with a 2204 clone and a pedal than one of the DSL’s, UK or Vietnam. Actually I would do the Origin 50 instead as well. I have an Origin 20 that was modded for a bit more gain and the Master now acts like a regular master. Loop still works. It’s glorious. The same kind of thing done to the 50 would make it a gigging, rock n roll machine.

Back