I want a Fryette Ultralead, but can´t find one - what´s the best alternative?

• Thread starter Thread starter amp maniac
  • Start date Start date
Had a ampfest my place. Maybe 8? Years ago?
Buddy brought his ultra lead. Probably 12 amps there. Full band set up jammin.
I had a Rivera KR7 and was playing that along with my buds UL. Tone was damn near identical.
That was one of the amps I was looking at when I got into Fryette.
Before the KR7 became his signature amp he was using a UL. They sound and feel different. But there absolutely is some similarities. It's a great amp.

Regarding the UL vs CL vs Classic - the classic is very similar in feel to the older ULs (first few years when they still had 1/4" jacks for switching). The CL and CLX are closer to the newer ULs IMHO. I'm guessing they changed in the late 90s!?!?

Last edited:
Regarding the UL vs CL vs Classic - the classic is very similar in feel to the older ULs (first few years when they still had 1/4" jacks for switching). The CL and CLX are closer to the newer ULs IMHO. I'm guessing they changed in the late 90s!?!?
They were changed and to the OP if you do find a UL make sure it's the later model. Frankly the first few years UL were not good at all. I've never played an updated UL but I had a 1994 UL and a 100CL, the CL was much more agressive.

The UL is one amp I've never tried. I've had/tried almost everything out there but still have never seen an UL in person anywhere. Would love to play around with one.

Thanks guys! What I liked most about the UL is that very tight feeling with an immediate attack and feel, so I don´t need all three channels. It also had a very "focused" feel to it. So I guess I just have to wait. I was told that currently the UL is unavailable as there will be a new version, however there´s no date yet.

I will likely buy the 4 channel UL when it comes out. As mentioned it might be awhile.
Steve's obsession with doing things right the first time combined with everything slowed down via Covid-19 it is impossible to guess when that might happen.
There is two Fryette groups on Facebook. I see one for sale there occasionally.

Yeah. pittbull, ul, sig x...I always thought they were interchangeable. It is very interesting. I have listened to a bit of fryette's live youtube chats, and it was really cool. But i don't know that I really have a better understading of the differences as much as the history. I can tell you I would love to try an early deliverance with the choke.

Back