If nobody actually needs a 100 W amp anymore, why are we still buying them?

• Thread starter Thread starter mightywarlock
  • Start date Start date
THAT is one amazing view. Wow. :love::rock:

We worked hard for it! I wish I could get my camera to show how big the mountains in the background are because they don't look that small in person. Had to stay in an apartment for a while too while the house was being built. Pretty much the only time I couldn't crank my amps (other than when kids are asleep). Funny, it was one of the reasons I joined the forum a few years ago was to find an amp that I could play at lower levels at the time.

Only when the amp is due!

Speaking of due, didn't Larry say he was pregnant recently?
I mean I know the Germans are historically ahead a bit in technology, but...

Id rather buy a handful of tube amps once than spend an eternity of headaches staring at a various computer screens fucking with latest updates that are trying to tweak an emulation of one only just to sound so close. Fuck all that mess. When I need them to sound good I turn them on. When I’m done I turn them off. If they’re heavy you lift weights or buy handtrucks. It’s worked for me for ages.

The point of them is to be inspiring. I need the big iron for that to happen. They’re also dumb reliable if maintained correctly. Spill a beer on an axe fx iii or have someone vomit on your quad cortex on the floor and see what happens. I also hate the push for smaller lighter super expensive modelers that are asking to be stolen at regular gigs.

Yes, and to put it another way, if you order a Larry amp today you can have 6 pregnancies by the time it's ready!
No thanks. Two was enough for me and I don't plan on joining the Latter Day Saints anytime soon.

Beat me to it, but this.

Buying a new 100W NMV these days seems a little over the top, but if it has master like most do then the '100W is too loud' argument doesn't make much sense. A 100W Wizard, Soldano, Bogner etc. sounds excellent with the MV low and then you have headroom and SPL to burn should you ever need it.

But personally I feel that 50W with an excellent OT and healthy plate voltage is the sweet spot. Loud as hell when required, but a little less cost and bulk than 100.
My Plexi disagrees with you about NMV amps. Sometimes things aren't necessary. :D

Last edited:
Diezels sound better loud.
Marshalls sound better loud.
Even Kranks sound better Kranked up.
Loudness opens up a Rectifier.
5150’s sound better loud as well.

Is there an amp that doesn’t sound good loud?

You'll have to bring me up to speed.
I don't click on links.

This is giving me Ricola vibes.

Probably not that high in elevation.
On the plus side I am shielded from what I would guess are world war three targets.
At least, according to the internet.
There's also more wildlife than a Disney cartoon.
So, there's that.
Dirt road is fun.
Unless it snows.
No Swiss.
Plenty of horns, though.

1720242127661.gif

Back