I'm taking lessons again.

• Thread starter Thread starter Gainfreak
  • Start date Start date
Gainfreak
Gainfreak
After comming back from NAMM, I decided to take lessons in hopes of taking my playing to the next level.(been playing the same shit for 20 years!) That said, since I'm to lazy to learn from books.... Methinks Getting a teacher was the way to go!

That is all!!

:rawk:

What direction are you trying to go? I'd love to get better at the acoustic. Maybe flaminco. But let me be honest... I'm a metalhead from the 80's school and I ain't running from it.

Learn some Classical Guitar will get your chops in top shape. Seriously.

>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch":73705 said:
What direction are you trying to go? I'd love to get better at the acoustic. Maybe flaminco. But let me be honest... I'm a metalhead from the 80's school and I ain't running from it.
Try something you normally would not and you will be surprised at the results. Go for it.

>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch":a2f4f said:

Im learning theory. I have absolutely no knowledge of theory at all.
I want to keep in the direction that I have been going in but I want to expand on a theme (if that makes sense)

>|<>QBB<
simbasa":18c11 said:
Learn some Classical Guitar will get your chops in top shape. Seriously.

I love classical guitar and will probably study it one day but Im on a different mission right now. hahaha.

I though about that too a little while back but, I took a look at my almost a $1,000 or so of Instructional Books, CDs, VHS', and DVD's that I never look at or use and thought the better of it. Now I crack one open here and there when I get a chance.

>|<>QBB<
Robotechnology":49fa8 said:
I though about that too a little while back but, I took a look at my almost a $1,000 or so of Instructional Books, CDs, VHS', and DVD's that I never look at or use and thought the better of it. Now I crack one open here and there when I get a chance.
Yeah bro, I have a shitload of GREAT books but being that I am a lazy shit, I need someone to push me. It's easy for me to not crack open a book but it pretty hard to walk into a lesson and not come prepared!! I would feel like a complete arse. Another thing is that you can;t ask a book a question!

Very inspiring! So will you mainly just be learning theory as it applies to guitar?

>|<>QBB<
Code001":0d388 said:
Very inspiring! So will you mainly just be learning theory as it applies to guitar?

Yes for now !! The guy who I am taking lessons from has music scoring knowledge and variuos stuff like that... I want to learn that later on. For me its baby steps since I have always had a mental block when it comes to learning theory Ill start off with guitar and then hopefully move on.

cool, i'd have no idea where to find a teacher for some advanced stuff around here (michigan).

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":289e2 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yes for now !! The guy who I am taking lessons from has music scoring knowledge and variuos stuff like that... I want to learn that later on. For me its baby steps since I have always had a mental block when it comes to learning theory Ill start off with guitar and then hopefully move on.
Cool!
What better thing is there to invest more time into than something that you've already loved doing for many years anyway. 8)

good luck man,

learning theory is HARD starting off, after a while tho most people kinda naturally adapt their knowledge to the stuff they're used to playing...and oneday 99% of that previously useless knowledge will click!

it was a few years of frustrating study for me to get to that point, and i'm still not great with all of it

i wanna get into taking jazz lessons again, but don't have the time

>|<>QBB<
flying_high":8e340 said:
cool, i'd have no idea where to find a teacher for some advanced stuff around here (michigan).

It really is a pain in the ass trying to finda GOOD teacher.
I have been to guys who sucked and I have also been to teachers that had a huge amount of knowledge but could not teach !
I have to drive an hr and 5 mins to get to my teacher but its well worth it. The guy has ideas and skills that I want to add to my playing, he is cool as hell and he really can teach.

I really want to start up again but I have to find the right guy, he has to of course be of metal mind but I want a strong Jazz/fusion background.......like that John Perry guy :)

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":5aa4f said:
>|<>QBB<Cool!
What better thing is there to invest more time into than something that you've already loved doing for many years anyway. 8)

WORD!!!

>|<>QBB<
cobrahead1030":d278f said:
good luck man,

learning theory is HARD starting off, after a while tho most people kinda naturally adapt their knowledge to the stuff they're used to playing...and oneday 99% of that previously useless knowledge will click!

it was a few years of frustrating study for me to get to that point, and i'm still not great with all of it

i wanna get into taking jazz lessons again, but don't have the time
Yeah, I have a huge learning curve ahead of me!

I hear you, Finding the time is a pain in the ass!

I think that's pretty damn ballsy. Taking lessons after 20 years of already being considered an advanced player is ok in my book. :2thumbs:

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":09501 said:
After comming back from NAMM, I decided to take lessons in hopes of taking my playing to the next level.(been playing the same shit for 20 years!) That said, since I'm to lazy to learn from books.... Methinks Getting a teacher was the way to go!

That is all!!

:rawk:

I did the same thing 6-7 years ago and was glad I did. It pushed me to the next level.

After about 3 years I got burned out and had to stop, and then my teacher moved away. Glad I did it though.....

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":6ebab said:
I really want to start up again but I have to find the right guy, he has to of course be of metal mind but I want a strong Jazz/fusion background.......like that John Perry guy :)

John is just scary good and he has the touch and feel that most of the Jazzier guys lack IMHO. I like the fact that he weaves in and out rock and Jazz and he can sit comfortably in any situation.
That said, you would probably have to take lessons from John because there arent many teachers like Him around IMHO!.

Back