I'm taking lessons again.

• Thread starter Thread starter Gainfreak
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
PeteLaramee":25b72 said:
I think that's pretty damn ballsy. Taking lessons after 20 years of already being considered an advanced player is ok in my book. :2thumbs:

Thanks for the kind words Bro! That said, you can always learn more. I have been such a lazy sack over the years that I really need this haha! One trip to NAMM shows you real quick that you don't know crap :hys:

>|<>QBB<
Shiny_Surface":e16b1 said:
>|<>QBB<

I did the same thing 6-7 years ago and was glad I did. It pushed me to the next level.

After about 3 years I got burned out and had to stop, and then my teacher moved away. Glad I did it though.....

That's cool that you did that. I'm pretty sure that I will eventually burn but to but for now, Im stoked!

Good luck Ralph. But who could be a teacher for you?

Btw: since I saw this thread I just have this old Level 42 song in mind - LOL

All I know is that the teacher is going to shit when he hears your vibrato :D

Go Ralphie!!! I wish I had the drive to do that... or even practice.

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":a4e5a said:
>|<>QBB<
Yeah bro, I have a shitload of GREAT books but being that I am a lazy shit, I need someone to push me. It's easy for me to not crack open a book but it pretty hard to walk into a lesson and not come prepared!! I would feel like a complete arse. Another thing is that you can;t ask a book a question!

I'm with you bro!!! I went back to lessons about 2 years ago, but my teacher was very uninspiring. I really need to be pushed as well. I'm totally swamped with family stuff right now, but I'm definitely going to be on the hunt for a new teacher pretty soon.

>|<>QBB<
duesentrieb":a8697 said:
Good luck Ralph. But who could be a teacher for you?

Btw: since I saw this thread I just have this old Level 42 song in mind - LOL

Hey Olaf!!! How are you bro!! I still have the amp for you but I pissed away the money to ship it out to you!!(darn credit cards) Just expect a package to show up One of these days !!

I Love Level 42!!

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":65efb said:
Go Ralphie!!! I wish I had the drive to do that... or even practice.

I'm pushing myself Bob!! You and I are definitely alike, so you know how lazy I am :D ! I figured that since the band situation fell through, I would try and do something else. It would be good to know WTF I was playing once and for all!! :D

>|<>QBB<
AmpliFIRE":bdd75 said:
>|<>QBB<

I'm with you bro!!! I went back to lessons about 2 years ago, but my teacher was very uninspiring. I really need to be pushed as well. I'm totally swamped with family stuff right now, but I'm definitely going to be on the hunt for a new teacher pretty soon.

Your family is more important bro. That said, you can always go back to learning when you get the time!

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":5cfe1 said:
>|<>QBB<

I'm pushing myself Bob!! You and I are definitely alike, so you know how lazy I am :D ! I figured that since the band situation fell through, I would try and do something else. It would be good to know WTF I was playing once and for all!! :D

As a lazy bastage like yourself, I admire your drive to do this. I can say almost without a doubt that I will never seek out an instructor or get beyond the 3rd page of an instructional book. Rock on my brutha!!!!

Been fighting with this idea for over 6months now Ralph. I was thinking that paying for lessons would force me to find the time to repolish my chops. Unfortunately the wife and kids ate up all my extra money and they are still looking for more :o

That said after taxes get done in the next week or so, I may put it back on the books and just do it.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":67bbb said:
I really want to start up again but I have to find the right guy, he has to of course be of metal mind but I want a strong Jazz/fusion background.......like that John Perry guy :)

Werd... My old teacher is ALL up in the fusion stuff, and taught metal when it was big, but it was kinda pulling teeth to get it out of him sometimes. There was the one time I went to one of his gigs and he was shitfaced, he started calling out changes to the band and just started the most awesome combination of soulful penatonic riffs and sweet 3-note-per-string runs... I've thought about going to buy him drinks again to see if he'd do it again. :)

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":6a24a said:
I'm seeing a friend regularly that lives nearby (and actually talking alot with Warren 'blackstratblues') that's a great player, he's teaching me to broaden my bag of tricks alot....and think more in terms of theory...insinuating chord changes with your lead playing...things like that.
I don't think of it as going backwards (at first i did)...it makes learning easier actually if you are already a good player, because alot of it I was already hearing, but I didn't really know technically what it was I was doing....getting bored means you have to move ahead...or grow stagnant and lose interest.

You already have the hands/feel...that's the hardest thing to acquire really. ;)

>|<>QBB<
tweed":83350 said:
Been fighting with this idea for over 6months now Ralph. I was thinking that paying for lessons would force me to find the time to repolish my chops. Unfortunately the wife and kids ate up all my extra money and they are still looking for more :o

That said after taxes get done in the next week or so, I may put it back on the books and just do it.

DO It!!

>|<>QBB<
Mark Cameron":80c40 said:
>|<>QBB<

Ralph Just play, other wise you'll make me have to go learn more bad licks for next NAMM jamm :lol: .
I want to take some lessons from Chris Polland to learn that crazy shit he does but I have no time.

On the L42 stuff ....Mark King is an amazing bass player. I have a JD fret-less bass, Its the most fat sounding rubber-bandy tone, kind of like Tony Franklin's. It kind of looks like the one he had in The Firm vid's

Bad licks my ass!! (Wait.... That didn't sound good!!)
I think taking lessons from Chris would be huge but I can see how you would not have any time brother! Can;t wait to hear your amps Mark!! You and Chris are da man...... er Men!!!!!

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":1a044 said:
>|<>QBB<I'm seeing a friend regularly that lives nearby (and actually talking alot with Warren 'blackstratblues') that's a great player, he's teaching me to broaden my bag of tricks alot....and think more in terms of theory...insinuating chord changes with your lead playing...things like that.
I don't think of it as going backwards (at first i did)...it makes learning easier actually if you are already a good player, because alot of it I was already hearing, but I didn't really know technically what it was I was doing....getting bored means you have to move ahead...or grow stagnant and lose interest.

You already have the hands/feel...that's the hardest thing to acquire really. ;)

Thats where Im hopefully headed as well and congrats on learning more stuff Adam!! YOU ROCK!

Hey Ralph, that's pretty cool. It would be nice to find a good teacher for myself too, right now I'm rather bummed out about not having a good teacher so I'm gonna try the instructional stuff and see how it goes.

Back