Iron Maiden: Powerslave - 1984

• Thread starter Thread starter Janky
  • Start date Start date
I remember waiting up for my two step brothers who saw the World Slavery Tour in Rochester, NY.
They brought home the big program book which I stared at for weeks...

I love Maiden!
I got to see Fear of the Dark tour and another show a couple years ago in Buffalo.

What a masterpiece!!!! One of my all time favorite albums!
Powerslave is one of the very few albums that I can listen, from the first to last song, without skipping a single song!
Rime of the ancient mariner is still one of my favorite metal songs of all time.

Saw the tour here in San Francisco

79B4B286-F6F0-4B22-805A-5825042A9EE8.jpeg

It's a decent album until you listen to the Di'Anno era stuff then you realize how lame Maiden became once they brought in Dickinson. Yuck. You went from street level material to some wannabe opera singer prancing around the stage in masks and spandex.

It's a decent album until you listen to the Di'Anno era stuff then you realize how lame Maiden became once they brought in Dickinson. Yuck. You went from street level material to some wannabe opera singer prancing around the stage in masks and spandex.

Both eras/singers are great in their own way

If you had heard the last four maiden LPs you would BEG for the days of Dickinson on powerslave 😂

People are similarly combative about Helloween. I think Kai, Michael, and Andi are all amazing in their own way - it's like having three different kickass bands.

Same with maiden, except it's two kickass bands. (Gays Gayley was awful in maiden, although he was decent to good in leatherwolf/etc)

Both eras/singers are great in their own way
I'll preface my post by saying I have been warning about getting combative on this subject matter for a while.

Too much fluff and stupid theatrical crap for my tastes after Dickinson was fully integrated. I hate gimmickry and stupid theatrics. I bought Seventh Son of a Seventh Son as a kid and worked backwards to Somewhere in Time, Powerslave, LIve after Death, Piece of Mind, then Killers etc and it was obvious to me that the Di'Anno era stuff was raw like metal should be. I don't dig the medieval fantasy novel approach they decided to take. Yuck.

Man, screw the cover, this album is IMMORTAL, man

There's no filler on it
So close for me. Never a big fan of 'The Duelists' or the instrumental 'Losfer Words'. However, this cover song from the Powerslave sessions kicks all kinds of ass. Image how heavy it'd be with a crushing guitar sound?

Powerslave...Very solid album. That said, I think I might be one of the few that prefer the first two records with Paul D on vocals. Those two records still seem tougher, rawer and meaner to me overall. And the songs are killer.

Man..I still remember buying this the day it came out at Sound Warehouse. I had been so excited waiting on the new album and then seeing the cover for the first time - to this day, it is my all-time favorite album cover. Such great songs throughout, I've heard Two Minutes enough for a lifetime so usually skip over that one but Losfer Words, Flash Of The Blade, The Duellists...hell, the whole album is great. This would be the first time I saw them live, WASP opened at the eold Houston Summit and then I saw them on the next two tours with Seventh Son being the last. Such a great album and great band.

Can’t say Powerslave is my favorite Maiden album, Killers was my first exposure.

However, Maiden does carry my lunch!

And I’d take Priest Live! over Live After Death…

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpeg
    IMG_3078.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
DiAnno material is lame AF.

DiAnno couldn't sing his way out of a wet paper bag.

Maiden became Maiden with Bruce.

DiAnno material is lame AF.

DiAnno couldn't sing his way out of a wet paper bag.

Maiden became Maiden with Bruce.
The addition of Bruce brought on the slow decline and "maiden became maiden" as each album got progressively worse and more gay sounding with worse song writing and cheesier production. Even devout fans recognize this but like you will deny it's related to anything regarding fantasy novel boy Bruce.

The addition of Bruce brought on the slow decline and "maiden became maiden" as each album got progressively worse and more gay sounding with worse song writing and cheesier production. Even devout fans recognize this but like you will deny it's related to anything regarding fantasy novel boy Bruce.
IMO and from talking Maiden with lots of folks, the older guys started walking away at Somewhere in Time.
I love that album.
But there is a change from Powersalve to Somewhere in Time and then more change going into Seventh Son for sure...

Fucking Pandora…listening to Powerslave inspired me to fire up a Maiden channel. As Number of the Beast plays I think, Metallica may be the biggest metal band of all time commercially, but really the best two metal bands of all time are Maiden and Priest. So right after Number of the Beast, Pandora plays Riding on the Wind and then Battery.

And then as I'm about to post this, it kicks into Mob Rules as if to have Dio and Sabbath say Fuck you and your Maiden and Priest! 😂

IMO and from talking Maiden with lots of folks, the older guys started walking away at Somewhere in Time.
I love that album.
But there is a change from Powersalve to Somewhere in Time and then more change going into Seventh Son for sure...
Those later album are ok but are pretty pathetic once you hear Killers or the self titled. When fear of the dark came out I never listened to another Maiden album again.

Back