Is the Marshall DSL 20 loud enough for a gig?

• Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
romanianreaper
romanianreaper
I was thinking of picking one up since I just got a Marshall 2x12 and really like the Marshall tone. As a reference, I gig with an Orange Super Crush 100 combo and have a 5150-III 6l6 50w.

I suppose if you're mic'd.
I have a Marshall Origin 20 combo thats plenty loud but not as much gain as a DSL.

a sweetwater rep said the jvm 410 should be in stock in july, though there were 41 pending orders. Haters gonna hate, but its 100w and sounds like a marshall. I dig (DSL too)

You can mic a 10 watt amp..
Even less. Or more. You know.

However even for a bar, I'd be at a minimum DSL40c

But you will be fine. Dudes have played with tiny line 6 mic'd. Mics make many things possible.

You can mic a 10 watt amp..
Even less. Or more. You know.

However even for a bar, I'd be at a minimum DSL40c

But you will be fine. Dudes have played with tiny line 6 mic'd. Mics make many things possible.
I agree.

These little toy 15-20 watt amps are great for fun at home. But I’ve found you need at least 30 watts for a live show

I agree.

These little toy 15-20 watt amps are great for fun at home. But I’ve found you need at least 30 watts for a live show

Yesh.

But don't let that stop him from micing up a gorilla amp and shaking the venue down.

🤣

a sweetwater rep said the jvm 410 should be in stock in july, though there were 41 pending orders. Haters gonna hate, but its 100w and sounds like a marshall. I dig (DSL too)
Yeah the price difference is about $1000 and heavier, but was thinking about the JVM 205H as well. I'd definitely be able to play at home ans gigs with that.

I owned a 410 back in the day.

I've had a couple of DSL20's .... pre Covid when you could score the head on GC for 275-300 .... they are the best sounding heads out of that 20 watt line up IMO ....
I was running it into a widebody closebacked Mesa 1X12 .... it sounded huge and amazing .....but I have a feeling even mic'ed up .... if it's sitting even remotely close to a real acoustic drum kit .... I think it will get lost ... the Girth just isn't there with the 20 watters .... they'll get you closer than a EL84 type I think ... but not much
now if your drummer is playing a " digital " kit ..... you might be just fine

Yeah the price difference is about $1000 and heavier, but was thinking about the JVM 205H as well. I'd definitely be able to play at home ans gigs with that.

I owned a 410 back in the day.

Those are really great amps!
You can't go wrong with a JVM.

The only thing is the weight thing. The whole purpose of getting the 20 watter was because I was trying to make my rig smaller. Now I have a damn Marshall 2x12 vertical can and looking at Marshall heads....lol

The only thing is the weight thing. The whole purpose of getting the 20 watter was because I was trying to make my rig smaller. Now I have a damn Marshall 2x12 vertical can and looking at Marshall heads....lol

People who work out (without steroids) live longer as a whole. All things considered. Assuming their diet doesn't suck with other bad habbits. Usually, lifting a slight bit into old age is a very good way to hold off the aging process.

So, you should consider the pros of picking that lil 2x12 and a Lil 25lb head, be sure to use good form though. That's when you'll see the best benefits and recieve the lease muscle pain. 👌

My Rivera Clubster Royale is 25w and through a 2x12 keeps up with drums Not so sure about the DSL 20 specifically, I feel somehow it may be a bit too weak or get lost unless it was running through a 4x12 or something like that. May just go with a larger model and run it through a 2x12 or even 1x12 depending.

Ask TGP, anything over 15 watts to those guys is screaming loud because they play with drummers taking estrogen. If I had a 20 watt amp I would install a LGBLTQIAAAA++++++ grill cloth so I can always pick the gay amp out of the lineup.
Yeah, I don’t get TGP’s love affair with small combos. Who are these drummers they’re playing with? I’m mostly a home player, but I jam with some childhood friends periodically. Rock stuff. My buddy on drums has MS, yet if I bring an amp lower than 50 watts he will totally drown it out.

Yeah, I don’t get TGP’s love affair with small combos. Who are these drummers they’re playing with? I’m mostly a home player, but I jam with some childhood friends periodically. Rock stuff. My buddy on drums has MS, yet if I bring an amp lower than 50 watts he will totally drown it out.

Jam bands. I live in jam band central and all those dudes play a PRS into some 1x12 combo, those drummers are never hitting hard or riding crash cymbals

Back