Is the Marshall DSL 20 loud enough for a gig?

• Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
Yeah, I don’t get TGP’s love affair with small combos. Who are these drummers they’re playing with? I’m mostly a home player, but I jam with some childhood friends periodically. Rock stuff. My buddy on drums has MS, yet if I bring an amp lower than 50 watts he will totally drown it out.
Small combos are great for the studio I just don't buy the "15 watts is all you need to gig" stuff. That's if the drummer is either a total wimp or for maybe a extra low volume dinner gig where the drummer is using rods. Otherwise you aren't gonna have access to much of a clean tone cause the amp is always full tilt breakup. That's why I don't care for Deluxe Reverbs, no clean power with a rocking band.

One thing I appreciate about the average metal drummer is there is no hitting like a bitch in metal or you just don't have a gig. I don't even play rock music and I didn't call a lot of drummers back for gigs because I couldn't hear their backbeat. No rim shots. That leads to a lack of concise meter amongs the band because it's the glue. I didn't think I was asking for much but most drummers have ZERO authority anymore. Low testosterone. Low grip strength. I don't care whether it's metal, rock, blues, blues rock, etc you are playing, if the drummer isn't a powerhouse your band sucks. I've had a lot of trouble with this kind of stuff. Pussy drummers are a modern post 90's plague. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM THAT FEATHERWEIGHT SHIT AIN"T TASTY!!! Rant off.

I ran a 20W Orange Micro Dark in a variety cover group and it was loud enough for all our gigs, indoor and outdoor, though we weren't exactly doing stadium stuff. Backyard, pub, school quad sorta deals. Setlist included stuff like Mississippi Queen, Panama, No One Knows, and Black Sheep, as well as cleaner poppy stuff like LAX or Decode, and there were a bunch of different guitars and guitarists going through it and a bunch of different drummers. Usually there was a second guitar going through a 5153 too. Only issue I had was one guitarist who seemed determined not to play audibly. I had the amp cranked, a boost in the loop cranked, and still couldn't hear anything from her. Other guitarists, would've been way too loud. Usually the volume was around noon or a bit lower, and the clean boost in the loop was just to compensate volume when you rolled down the volume knob on your guitar for cleans.

Back