Is the slo all it’s cracked up to be ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dyllheaven88
  • Start date Start date
Already been said but it's not ideal for modern metal IMO, especially pre 2000's stock models. I'm not sure how deep the depth knob effects the lower frequencies with the latest models but if its the same as the Haynes mod, its an improvement for sure. Sucks as a bedroom level amp so you gotta crank that bastid! :rock:

Funny, I've had 6 IIC+ and the only one I regret selling was also a 60 watt SR. Best tone & feel of them all, no question.

Back on track of the SLO I did post this thread a week or so ago. Interestingly enough, more than half the people watching the thread though the SLO sounded best whereas the sound man, the other bands & myself in the room thought it sounded soft & undefined.
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...ark-ii-coliseum-a-slo-walk-into-a-bar.235582/
Yes, you and me both with the 60w C+...my heresy goes like this...the very first C+, was a 2C SRG blonde combo. This amp, was to be my first official C+ and I scored it for a very cheap 649 at a GC in upstate NY. Of course, I had to gig with it a little before sending it to Mike B for the upgrade. This friggin amp, was UNFNREAL...the most raw, open, rich(harmonically) tone machine I'd EVER imagined playing...tone for freakin days. My sound guy STILL reminds me about that amp, and how I ruined it lol...
I mean, I HAD to send it in! My first opportunity to have a real C+. So I send it, wait a month and it comes back...sounds great but it lost that open raw amazing tone and became smooth and a bit compressed.
Still a killer amp, and the best of ANY C+ I've had but man, as a non uprgraded C it was on a whole other level.

i don't know what you mean by low volume, but my wizard definitely sounds it's best at 103-110 decibels. that is around 9-1030 on the master,
The Speakers come into play and start to add meat to the sound when they really start moving.. This is what's always what's missing with low volume recordings (mine!) ..

These days, I strive for the best edge of break-up tone I can get.

Removing the shield from the V1 (12AX7) tube may have some effect, I'm not sure? It certainly does with the EF86 channel in my AC15. The most noticeable difference happens with line voltage. Monitoring/adjusting the line voltage keeps the sound/feel pretty consistent. The way you perceive sound can change from day to day; dictated by weather conditions. I don't beleive weather has any effect of the amplifier and speakers, but, I could be wrong.

Tube Shields reject Radio Frequencies.. Taking them off can sound subjectively more open.. Day to day exposures definitely affect how you hear things.
Humidity will be absorbed by speakers which will slightly affect the highend..

Yes, you and me both with the 60w C+...my heresy goes like this...the very first C+, was a 2C SRG blonde combo. This amp, was to be my first official C+ and I scored it for a very cheap 649 at a GC in upstate NY. Of course, I had to gig with it a little before sending it to Mike B for the upgrade. This friggin amp, was UNFNREAL...the most raw, open, rich(harmonically) tone machine I'd EVER imagined playing...tone for freakin days. My sound guy STILL reminds me about that amp, and how I ruined it lol...
I mean, I HAD to send it in! My first opportunity to have a real C+. So I send it, wait a month and it comes back...sounds great but it lost that open raw amazing tone and became smooth and a bit compressed.
Still a killer amp, and the best of ANY C+ I've had but man, as a non uprgraded C it was on a whole other level.
One of us has to get that amp back and send it to Mike B or whoever we can to make it a regular C again

6L6/6V6 for clean.
EL34/EL84 for edge and distortion.
While this may be true more often than not, it’s way too much of an over generalization. Some of the very best cleans I’ve ever had were EL34 or EL84 amps (Alessandro HoundDog,1967 Marshall Tremolo 50, Hiwatt DR103, 1963 Vox AC30TB) and some of the most growly, raunchy amps I’ve had also had 6L6’s or 6V6’s (my friends ‘60’s Gretsch 6151 (like more pissed off tweed champ), Naylor, Purpleface VH4 Protoype)

While this may be true more often than not, it’s way too much of an over generalization. Some of the very best cleans I’ve ever had were EL34 or EL84 amps (Alessandro HoundDog,1967 Marshall Tremolo 50, Hiwatt DR103, 1963 Vox AC30TB) and some of the most growly, raunchy amps I’ve had also had 6L6’s or 6V6’s (my friends ‘60’s Gretsch 6151 (like more pissed off tweed champ), Naylor, Purpleface VH4 Protoype)
I tend to run my amps quite loud. I find 6L6 tubes are best at keeping things clean and transparent at high volume. If I'm going for compresed cleans at high volume, Marshall SL and VOX AC30 are my go-to. I no longer own any 6L6 amplifiers, nor will I ever. Not unless I happen to find another Boogie 60 watt combo.

Tube Shields reject Radio Frequencies.. Taking them off can sound subjectively more open.. Day to day exposures definitely affect how you hear things.
Humidity will be absorbed by speakers which will slightly affect the highend..
Humidity is regulated via HVAC, so I doubt that's an issue.

I love my SLO through Greenbacks although I admit I used it more as a shredder/rock/blues thing vs \m/etal chugging. It's just the perfect lead players amp. It does killer crunch rhythm stuff too of course, especially with a boost tossed in front, but man, the lead tones...yum.

I tend to run my amps quite loud. I find 6L6 tubes are best at keeping things clean and transparent at high volume. If I'm going for compresed cleans at high volume, Marshall SL and VOX AC30 are my go-to. I no longer own any 6L6 amplifiers, nor will I ever. Not unless I happen to find another Boogie 60 watt combo.
This is why I use KT77's.

There was too much "weight" in the bottom-end gain dept. The 5751 solved the issue. I'm a 70's rock fan, so that's the sound/feel I was going for. It worked-out well, but I missed the character of VOX and Marshall. Give me a Marshall 1987 50 watt, KOT and an Echoplex, and I'm set.
Man I just went from a Slo 100 to a sSo 30 and got it all dialed in then plugged into my Friedman Pink taco 20 and was like wow that's even better. With a LP it's that total 70's Bad Co early Ac Dc and High n Dry Def Lep tones. Pure bliss!

Man I just went from a Slo 100 to a sSo 30 and got it all dialed in then plugged into my Friedman Pink taco 20 and was like wow that's even better. With a LP it's that total 70's Bad Co early Ac Dc and High n Dry Def Lep tones. Pure bliss!
So are you saying you prefer the PT20 to the SLO 30, at least for those sounds ?

Yeah it was on another level….my only hope is to find another 2C maybe..
Hopefully still enough left that weren’t “upgraded” to + or ++’s. Would be interesting if others discovered non-plus C’s (never tried one myself) and then there was demand for some to maybe get there’s to go from a c+ to c. If I had more than one like some collectors I’d be interested in having at least one non-plus C

So are you saying you prefer the PT20 to the SLO 30, at least for those sounds ?
Last night with my LP I did! Depends on the tone and degree of hot rodded Marshall your ears want. Two flavors of face melting goodness really.

The brand new Slo 30 I just picked up has a much more useable MV than the one I owned before. Crazy, the one that was no more than a year older never got the MV above 2.2 to 2.5 ever. Last night I had the MV at noon with air to breath. Maybe I'm more deaf but I don't think so. The PT 20 never has it's volume near noon. Close to 9 o'clock

Last night with my LP I did! Depends on the tone and degree of hot rodded Marshall your ears want. Two flavors of face melting goodness really.

The brand new Slo 30 I just picked up has a much more useable MV than the one I owned before. Crazy, the one that was no more than a year older never got the MV above 2.2 to 2.5 ever. Last night I had the MV at noon with air to breath. Maybe I'm more deaf but I don't think so. The PT 20 never has it's volume near noon. Close to 9 o'clock
Do you think the SLO 30 is a good bedroom amp? Good crunch at reasonable levels?

Do you think the SLO 30 is a good bedroom amp? Good crunch at reasonable levels?
My opinion is the only good bedroom solution is a fractal or similar. You can use the new Slo 30 for bedroom use but it would be all pre amp sizzle/gain and cannot get close to the tone it is designed to provide.

Back