Is this an amp collecting club?

• Thread starter Thread starter Japetus The Great
  • Start date Start date
Japetus The Great
Japetus The Great
On the real, sometimes I feel some of you guys are just in it to collect amps...not really giving a fuck about tones that will fit in a band situation.

It pisses me off.

It's always the "new thing"

Believe it or not, there are amps being built on the advice of these same people!!!

Some of us don't play in bands, so yeah we like to mess with lots of different sounds.
Don't let it bother you man.

>|<>QBB<
Oblivion DC":bbb99 said:
Some of us don't play in bands, so yeah we like to mess with lots of different sounds.
Don't let it bother you man.

It's not about bands really, it's just about playing guitar...

it just seems like some people will never be happy.

Are you talking about constant buying and selling, or just buying tons of stuff?

given enough time and money and space it can go way overboard. Cheaper than collecting cars and easy to store. I think you will come to a conclusion and settle for what really works in the end. For me my search ended at the begining. My amp is a 1959 Guild 20 watt with tremelo. Great vintage tone but not real loud so I always mike it.

>|<>QBB<
Japetus The Great":154d1 said:
On the real, sometimes I feel some of you guys are just in it to collect amps...not really giving a fuck about tones that will fit in a band situation.

It pisses me off.

It's always the "new thing"

Believe it or not, there are amps being built on the advice of these same people!!!

Don't let it piss you off, Bro!
Remember, this "is" the amp section of Rigtalk... Just like a Corvette forum, there are going to be extreme fanatics. I appreciate all the amps these guys buy and sell as their reviews give me great insight for what might fit my needs!
Take the positive from it... you know? "Glass half full" vs "Glass half empty"

Keith

I've had my Mesa since August of 05. :D
If it hasn't gone anywhere yet, I highly doubt it will ever leave..

Love it.

Zach

thats kinda why i dissapeared for awhile, i just wasnt into "gear" anymore. im still not really lol. but i pop in and out to check out if theres something cool that people are messin with, hence the "new thing"

That's a lot of the problem with this place and HC... I know bands take up a lot of time, and many people are really busy... but no one makes 100watt amps so they can sit all pretty on top of your boutique, pristine condition cab in your house.

Really? I thought amps were meant to be played by guitarists. ;)

I think a lot of it also is that people buy this stuff as an investment. If you are smart in the amps you are buying, especially if you buy used, you can usually break even or make a little money if you need to sell your gear. I'm only 24, but when I get out of grad school and get a decent job, I plan on picking up some nice amps and cabs. Its a hobby, something I enjoy, owning amps & playing them, recording and the like. I've been in bands and enjoy that gig a lot, but I don't have time for it ATM. The only reason I have most of the gear I do (and I don't hold a candle to most) is that I landed an awesome paid internship the summer before last. Luck I suppose you could say.

I just enjoy reading other peoples takes on gear and its nice to be able to talk with others who share a common interest.

>|<>QBB<
blargh":3adeb said:
That's a lot of the problem with this place and HC... I know bands take up a lot of time, and many people are really busy... but no one makes 100watt amps so they can sit all pretty on top of your boutique, pristine condition cab in your house.

True... That's not the reason 100 Watt amps were built. BUT, who cares
if someone has a Diezel VH4 in their basement and he gets great joy in going downstairs when everyone's out and playing for a few hours? Is that wrong? How does it affect you and me?
What's wrong with a hobbie like this?
So... going out and blowing $300.00 a week at a strip club drinking with the boys is ok? But saving that $$ and buying a real nice 100 watt head for your enjoyment in your own house is wrong?
lol... I see the point of 100 watt heads, but do you see mine?

take care,
Keith :)

Sorry I'm late for the amp collecting meeting.....
I've currently got 13 guitar amps and all of them I use to consider tones and tunes for a band situation. I was a working guitarist for years on the road, with several of them still in their road cases. I don't consider myself a collector so much as a guitarist who has a number tools in his arsenal. I wouldn't trade any of them or sell them unless I was flat broke...with that said I understand what I think you are trying to say Japetus is that some players are chasing their tails collecting and buying the latest boutique, handwired class A beauty and hoping that the sound will come out of the amp on it's own or they have to have the latest NAMM Show advertised amp to outshine their competition...It all boils down to what you like and can afford and have room to store, but theoretically will use to make music with.

Marshall 100 watt head and 412 bottom w/ Celestion 25's.
Fender Showman (64') pre-CBS blackface head
Fender Stage 100 head
Fender Tonemaster 2-12 blonde tolex bottom
Fender Bandmaster 2-12 bottom w/ vintage Jensen's.
MusicMan RD-100 head
MusicMan RD-50 head
MusicMan 4-12 bottom
Laney 100 watt Bass head
Fender Blues Deluxe combo
Fender Frontman 15R with 8" speaker
Vox Pathfinder 15 w
Danelectro Nifty-Fifty wit 8" speaker
Silvertone tweed with 8" speaker
Peavey Envoy 110
Peavey Basic 50 Bass amp

:kaffee:

I do have some items that I bought now because I could not afford them back in the day like my Jackson Soloist.

I have to weed the guys out imo, some buy and sell because they are looking for something different and there are some I have no clue what they are doing :?

>|<>QBB<
blargh":97eb2 said:

And they don't make 100Watt amps so they can be run at very low volumes in small clubs, but people still use them for that. That must be wrong :?

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":0cd0a said:
Here's my take on the situation (which isn't anything groundbreaking...)

Guys that are now in their 30s and 40s used to dream of owning a bunch of guitars, amps, pedals, etc... when they first started getting into playing at age 14 or whatever. Of course, they could only afford a piece of crap guitar and amp back then, because they were so young.

Now that these same people have careers, they can afford to buy a bunch of stuff that they always wanted. I personally think it's as simple as that, but that's just my opinion. I know that's the category I fall into for sure.

Alot of kids you see online nowadays already have nice crap at the age of 18 or whatever. That amazes me, as I had nothing but junk for a long time! And no, I'm not jealous. I'm just saying...

Chris

Heh. I worked for my shit :)

>|<>QBB<
Johnny59":a0da2 said:
Sorry I'm late for the amp collecting meeting.....
I've currently got 13 guitar amps and all of them I use to consider tones and tunes for a band situation. I was a working guitarist for years on the road, with several of them still in their road cases. I don't consider myself a collector so much as a guitarist who has a number tools in his arsenal. I wouldn't trade any of them or sell them unless I was flat broke...with that said I understand what I think you are trying to say Japetus is that some players are chasing their tails collecting and buying the latest boutique, handwired class A beauty and hoping that the sound will come out of the amp on it's own or they have to have the latest NAMM Show advertised amp to outshine their competition...It all boils down to what you like and can afford and have room to store, but theoretically will use to make music with.

Marshall 100 watt head and 412 bottom w/ Celestion 25's.
Fender Showman (64') pre-CBS blackface head
Fender Stage 100 head
Fender Tonemaster 2-12 blonde tolex bottom
Fender Bandmaster 2-12 bottom w/ vintage Jensen's.
MusicMan RD-100 head
MusicMan RD-50 head
MusicMan 4-12 bottom
Laney 100 watt Bass head
Fender Blues Deluxe combo
Fender Frontman 15R with 8" speaker
Vox Pathfinder 15 w
Danelectro Nifty-Fifty wit 8" speaker
Silvertone tweed with 8" speaker
Peavey Envoy 110
Peavey Basic 50 Bass amp

:kaffee:

Hehehe!!
Nice collection, Bro!!
My collection is basically old Marshall 100 watters...

1966 100 watt Plexi KT66 JTM45 - aluminum chassis
1967 100 watt JMP Plexi
1968 100 watt JMP Plexi
1970 100 watt JMP Metal front
1972 100 watt JMP
1972 100 watt JMP - Jose modded
1973 100 watt JMP
1974 100 watt JMP (pcb)
Bogner Xtcy 100B
Bogner Xtcy 100B
Bogner Xtcy Classic
5150 Block logo - (old one-like it makes a difference-lol)
Pearce G2r - 200 watt SS - Best SS amp ever!

I think that's it. I sold three Marshalls a few months
ago to pay for another toy...lol

Keith :)

I don't see a problem. I can stop anytime.
People say addiction, I'm not addicted.
I could stop today if I wanted too.
No really I can quit cold turkey.

Man I wish that new Marshall would get here! :?

DSCF0024.jpg

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":eaa7e said:
Here's my take on the situation (which isn't anything groundbreaking...)

Guys that are now in their 30s and 40s used to dream of owning a bunch of guitars, amps, pedals, etc... when they first started getting into playing at age 14 or whatever. Of course, they could only afford a piece of crap guitar and amp back then, because they were so young.

Now that these same people have careers, they can afford to buy a bunch of stuff that they always wanted. I personally think it's as simple as that, but that's just my opinion. I know that's the category I fall into for sure.

Alot of kids you see online nowadays already have nice crap at the age of 18 or whatever. That amazes me, as I had nothing but junk for a long time! And no, I'm not jealous. I'm just saying...

Chris

That's pretty much how I see it too.

I don't have a big collection of gear, but I've went through a lot to zero in on the tone that I'm after. It's not '87 anymore.....and my budget Dean/Gorilla rig is gone. I always wanted a Marshall halfstack back then. So, band or no band, there will always be one around my house now. Besides that I'm one of those that HAVE to practice with the same gear/volume that I would use with my mates in band practice.

Anything other than the given heavy, HB loaded guitar and a Marshall halfstack for me is just experimenting with other stuff, and making up for all those hours/months/years of not having any other choice but to be happy that I just had a guitar and amp.

I can't speak for the cats with those crazy amp lists.

Back