It's weird that I hated Rectifiers for the first 23 years of their existence...

• Thread starter Thread starter killertone
  • Start date Start date
After years of selling G’s in the 90’s I’m glad my ears didn’t let me down when I instantly picked 3 as a G. Just not as mid forward as the others. Had that soft bloat that even shows up with a boost…😂
I liked the MW too in these clips but have never liked one in person. Still much prefer my Tremoverb which really doesn’t need a boost but a treble booster into Vintage Orange is really good.
Nice job on the comparison. Very glad you tweaked the amps to your liking and didn’t just do a, EQ at noon thing, which I always find frustrating that people think that makes it more scientific..lol

Last edited:
This video does an excellent job of showing the fundamental difference between the dual & triple MWs. I've had multiple of each & this checks out. It's not the same differences you see in a Rev G where the triple is significantly tighter. Which one is best? That's up to you. If I was answering that question I'd say the dual sat better in the live mix for me where the triple disappeared a bit.

The triple rectifier seems more DENSE.
I had a modded 3 channel triple before.
Probably still prefer the multiwatt.

I remember paying $600 for that triple originally.
LoL

I liked them all, but slightly preferred #4 if I had to choose. But this demo just confirms my opinion that Dual Recs are all incredibly similar and not worth the crazy price differences between the different models and revisions. I'm totally fine with a Multi-watt or Badlander.

I liked them all, but slightly preferred #4 if I had to choose. But this demo just confirms my opinion that Dual Recs are all incredibly similar and not worth the crazy price differences between the different models and revisions. I'm totally fine with a Multi-watt or Badlander.
I think like a lot of amps the most difference is in how it feels to play but under a mic, those differences aren’t making or breaking anything. Other than how it affects the performance from how it feels to you.

The big difference is on the orange channel. The multi watt red is on par with an F. The orange channel after rev g sucks though. Idk what happened. Way boxy and nasally compared to the early versions. If I didn’t use the orange channel so much I’d just get a multi watt and off my early revs.

The big difference is on the orange channel. The multi watt red is on par with an F. The orange channel after rev g sucks though. Idk what happened. Way boxy and nasally compared to the early versions. If I didn’t use the orange channel so much I’d just get a multi watt and off my early revs.
Yup, Orange on any 3 ch is not really anything like the 2 ch versions. Not sure what went wrong there,

Yup, Orange on any 3 ch is not really anything like the 2 ch versions. Not sure what went wrong there,
Maybe just something with ears on the builders. And I mean that with no disrespect. But the mark models are the same way. The V and JP2C are very boxy and nasally. Can’t say with the VII never played one.

It’s what keeps me from getting a newer one. On my T-Verb I live on the Orange channel. It’s got a smoothness to it while still being aggressive if you want, while 3 channel onwards just seem to be more grainy and indistinct. I can get juicy, tight palm mutes for rock or metal with no boost on my T-Verb Orange (but add a treble booster and BAM! 😉) but not on 3 channel models. The first 3 channel models to me are just terrible. That raw setting is just garbage.

Wonder if Mesa would mod my Tremoverb to run 6 power tubes ? Just remove the rectifier tubes.

same here, and i live on orange modern. i like red too and use it for a different tone, but orange is where its at 95% of the time.

Wonder if Mesa would mod my Tremoverb to run 6 power tubes ? Just remove the rectifier tubes.
A Tremoverb with the Roadking ability to have 34’s and 6L6’s in different combinations would be amazing to me as well. Or if someone would sell a RKII for a stupid low price, that would be even better….lol

I dig Orange Modern as well but it might be too dark on the F and G for me. It's hard to say....sometimes I love it and then I go to the red and I am like oh hell yes this is aggressioooooooooon! Hahaha!

I dig Orange Modern as well but it might be too dark on the F and G for me. It's hard to say....sometimes I love it and then I go to the red and I am like oh hell yes this is aggressioooooooooon! Hahaha!
As much as I’m primarily a plexi guy, Red modern, in the room, is about as much fun as you can have by yourself…..with a guitar I mean.

Last edited:
I had a 3 channel Dual Rectifier for almost 20 years. I never could get on with it. I would play it, say "meh" ... put it away for a year or two, pull it out and play it again just to say "meh" again. Rinse and repeat many times. I really tried to like it because so many great records have been recorded with Recs and I finally sold it last year.

My favortite Modern Hard Rock/Metal amp is the EVH 5150 III. I have two, the EL34 100Ws and the 100 Watt Stealth. Those amps ended my 40 year quest for the aggressive sound I was after. I give the slight edge to the EL 34. It's simply the most aggressive and unforgiving amp I have ever played.

This is true .

Back