Jazz III John Petrucci picks

• Thread starter Thread starter ElectricVoodoo
  • Start date Start date
ElectricVoodoo
ElectricVoodoo
I've never gelled with a pick as much as I do with these.
Decided to buy a pack the other day to try out and I think they are great.

Slightly bigger than a standard Jazz III but small enough not to be too big. May not be for everyone but I've tried soo many different picks and these are easily the best I've ever had.

Attachments

• 20200207_163816.jpg
    20200207_163816.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 1,422
I have been a Jazz III guy for a long time now. Picked up a pack of the Petrucci's and like the slickness but I prefer a little give to the pick and those are just too stiff for me. The smaller Jazz III size is ingrained in my brain now also.

They are pretty good picks though.

The JP picks are all I’ve used for the past six years. They are just the perfect size. Love them.

Jazz III for me as well. I'll have to try the Petrucci and see if we have a winner.
:rock:

Damn, the dude has 4 different signature picks out? Looks like the above pictured Jazz III Petrucci (1.5), the Jazz III Primetone (1.38) red, Jazz III Primetone (1.38) black, and a 2.0mm flow pick with a Dream Theater logo. Which one does he actually use?

I noticed that also. I just just went for these. I don't k ow what the difference is in the other picks.

Ive been using jazz III for a while as well, maybe 7 + years?? I brought a pack of the dunlop Yngwie picks and they were way to big and bulky. Seems to work for him though.

But yeah, I like the JP more than the standard for sure. Has a hair extra that makes it really nice.

I've been using the John Petrucci picks for years now. I've bought so many packs that I don't think I'll run out in my lifetime. Recently though I tried out the Ernie Ball Prodigy picks and I really like the thickness and the grippy texture of them. I still love how the JP pick glides over strings for leads with that polished tip, but sometimes it'll just move around or slip out of my fingers. Not to throw a wrench in your post, I go back and forth between the two undecided.

Aa2Ci6G.jpg

I was a die-hard Jazz III user until I tried the Petrucci 2.0 Flow. It's an outstanding pick as far as feel, control-ability and speed.

I like the feel of those, but the problem for me is they don't last. I wear them out too fast. I stick to the regular Jazz III's. I can get more life out of those.

Jazz III user since EJ mentioned them in his TEG videos. I love the size of the JP Jazz III but prefer the material of the EJ Jazz III (which is only a tiny bit bigger than a reg Jazz III). The JP material is a little too clicky for me (prob just bad technique). Now I need to try that 2.0 Flow.

Jazz III guy here too, but as I've said in pick threads here and elsewhere before, I graze my knuckles when switching to shuffle-rhythm playing (like funky).

I've always thought that something a tad bigger, but not "full-size", and perhaps with better grip, would be just-the-ticket for me. The JP range fits this bill on paper, but the extra stiffness I'm reading about "gives me pause for thought", as they say in the classics.

Hmm...

For shuffle-rhythm or whatever I rotate the pick and use a more blunt corner and it helps but that may vary for each player (I hold pick with thumb and middle finger which changes the geometry a little).

I cant remember, does the JP do pick scrapes well? The red ones (EJ or not) suck at that.

SpiderWars":294jo5ek said:
Jazz III user since EJ mentioned them in his TEC videos. I love the size of the JP Jazz III but prefer the material of the EJ Jazz III (which is only a tiny bit bigger than a reg Jazz III). The JP material is a little too clicky for me (prob just bad technique). Now I need to try that 2.0 Flow.

Yep. I liked playing with the JP but it was too chirpy.

Currently using the red Eric Johnson Jazz III picks.

vultures":1bxf920w said:
I've been using the John Petrucci picks for years now. I've bought so many packs that I don't think I'll run out in my lifetime. Recently though I tried out the Ernie Ball Prodigy picks and I really like the thickness and the grippy texture of them. I still love how the JP pick glides over strings for leads with that polished tip, but sometimes it'll just move around or slip out of my fingers. Not to throw a wrench in your post, I go back and forth between the two undecided.

Aa2Ci6G.jpg

2mm. Wow
That's thick lol. One day I'll give em a spin.

Rex Rocker":26vdz7rz said:
I like the feel of those, but the problem for me is they don't last. I wear them out too fast. I stick to the regular Jazz III's. I can get more life out of those.

Hopefully they have some kind of longevity to them.
That point may wear rapidly. I'm on my 3rd day so far...

I like the Petrucci Jazz III’s but my new favorite is the Hetfield white fangs

SpiderWars":b12dip71 said:
For shuffle-rhythm or whatever I rotate the pick and use a more blunt corner and it helps...
Yeah, good tip(!); thanks man.

I've tried the same thing 'cause it requires less positional (height) accuracy, but I still can't avoid the knuckle scraping unless I switch to a larger pick. :doh:

Decided to revisit all these just to make sure my tastes haven't changed. Can't find my Hammet or Bonamassa Jazz IIIs. IIRC, they were both workable. The JP is bottom right.

mQHtfrll.jpg

Still like the EJ for electric but forgot how fun the Minidug Acetate was for acoustic (the one with the finger contour, there is a thumb contour on other side).

Back