Jazz III John Petrucci picks

• Thread starter Thread starter ElectricVoodoo
  • Start date Start date
I've only ever had the black ones - are the reds any different?

I use the carbon fiber jazz iii's. Last forever, great grip and the exact attack I desire. I have used them for a long time. 7

Monkey Man":325ve20o said:

I think the regular black and red Jazz IIIs are the same. The red Eric Johnson is a different chemical makeup of nylon though. I guess the story is Dunlop slightly modified the formula for the Jazz III picks and EJ didn't like the results. He asked them if they could continue making picks the old way for him so they just released them as an EJ sig. They're not vastly different. I prefer the EJ by a teeny bit, but use both.

I spent the last year or so on a pick quest. Jazz III user for decades. Petrucci has at least 5 sig picks now (didn't care for his brand-new Trinity pick) Of all of them, I like the one the OP uses (used it exclusively for a few years) and the JP 2.0 Ultex Flow. That fat Flow pick took a while to get used to, but it kinda got stuck in my head and I kept going back to it. I like the way it feels between the index and thumb and the tone it imparts is way more vibrant than you'd think a fat pick would have. Tonally, it's the best pick I've tried so far. My only struggle with it is the tip isn't quite sharp enough for me and fast individual note picking can sound a little smeared. I like the way you can really dig in if you want to with the sharper Jazz III tip.

The quest isn't over, but after a year, I waffle between the JP 2.0 Flow, a 1.5 Flow, and the EJ Jazz III.

You guys should try the Gravity 003 XL. Its It's really good and it's the same size as the Petrucci's.

wanted to like the JP but it was a little too thick and almost too rigid. I always seem to fall back to the Jazz III XL tortex 1.14.

I went on a quest last September and landed on the black jazz iii, the Eric Johnson jazz iii, JP jazz iii, JP flow, Andy flow. Coming from the standard pick size, the easiest transition was the Andy flow, but being a fan of EJ and JP, I kept going to the black jazz iii. I've settled on the EJ jazz iii, as it's ever so slightly larger than the black. The JP jazz feels a little too slick now. The flows on an acoustic are unmatched though. They have the weight of a gypsy pick, but the rounded edges just fly!

jinch0":odg6q5h5 said:
You guys should try the Gravity 003 XL. Its It's really good and it's the same size as the Petrucci's.

Always wanted to try Gravity picks, thanks for the heads-up. Just added a couple to my cart. $5 each though...ouch. :lol: :LOL:

I did try a couple of the Tradition Lite V-Picks (I think they're acrylic like the Gravitys). They were OK, but the tone of that particular type of plastic ultimately wasn't what I was looking for.

Kevin11":11t1a5x6 said:
Monkey Man":11t1a5x6 said:

I think the regular black and red Jazz IIIs are the same. The red Eric Johnson is a different chemical makeup of nylon though. I guess the story is Dunlop slightly modified the formula for the Jazz III picks and EJ didn't like the results. He asked them if they could continue making picks the old way for him so they just released them as an EJ sig. They're not vastly different. I prefer the EJ by a teeny bit, but use both.

I spent the last year or so on a pick quest. Jazz III user for decades. Petrucci has at least 5 sig picks now (didn't care for his brand-new Trinity pick) Of all of them, I like the one the OP uses (used it exclusively for a few years) and the JP 2.0 Ultex Flow. That fat Flow pick took a while to get used to, but it kinda got stuck in my head and I kept going back to it. I like the way it feels between the index and thumb and the tone it imparts is way more vibrant than you'd think a fat pick would have. Tonally, it's the best pick I've tried so far. My only struggle with it is the tip isn't quite sharp enough for me and fast individual note picking can sound a little smeared. I like the way you can really dig in if you want to with the sharper Jazz III tip.

The quest isn't over, but after a year, I waffle between the JP 2.0 Flow, a 1.5 Flow, and the EJ Jazz III.
Thank you, Kevin.

Back