Votes: 17 58.6%

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
Techdeth
Techdeth
RESIDENT ROCK PROFESSOR
1EF4E2C6-EDD5-4896-A205-775C05B9D427.jpeg

New Guitar World got me wondering what you all think

Ha. Funny timing Nick. Just recorded some A/b clips today of my 2203 with 6550s and EL34. The differences aren’t huge when listening on playback. Definitely most noticeable for the player in the room. I like both but prefer the 34s for my style. It’s just about the mids for me. The 6550s do have a little more modern edge to them though which is nice. Bigger low end. But the 34s are just the sound for me.

I’ll post the video in a second

Ha. Funny timing Nick. Just recorded some A/b clips today of my 2203 with 6550s and EL34. The differences aren’t huge when listening on playback. Definitely most noticeable for the player in the room. I like both but prefer the 34s for my style. It’s just about the mids for me. The 6550s do have a little more modern edge to them though which is nice. Bigger low end. But the 34s are just the sound for me.

I’ll post the video in a second
Excited to see the video ! I like both a lot but atm I like el34s . I go back and forth

They both sound good. Just really depends on the tone and feel you like. For more classic vibes EL34’s are great. But if you’re into hard rock and metal, you may like the punch of 6550’s.

Back in the day when GE 6550’s were available and affordable, every Marshall I got was swapped over right away. When they went away tried the current models and didn’t care for any of them. Started using KT 88’s.
Not alot of difference in tone between el34 and 6550 but the low end holds together better and note definition in chords is better. Basing this on the GE 6550’s anyway.
Currently just running el34’s, don’t really care that much for them but it what is available.

Back