Jimi

• Thread starter Thread starter RaceU4her
  • Start date Start date
I have never seen a vid of him playing thru anything but marshall's. And guess what? Still sounds like the maestro....lol....Carl-awesome clip...thank you! Any details? That drummer is killer....

June 22, 1969 Newport Pop Festival, Devonshire Downs, Northridge, Ca. He played with the Experience two days earlier. Didn’t like the performence or the rowdy crowd, and came back two days later to jam. Those were not his amps, they were the back line. Drummer was Buddy Miles.​

I got to see most of Jimi's gear at the Experience Museum in Seattle. In awe checking that stuff out.

Jimi was a huge influence on me. Very much when I was young.

His Father lived across the ally from me in Skyway in 1988. I would often see him at the bowling alley and have a conversation with him.
His Nephew was a close friend of mine. He had a bunch of his clothes and other stuff. His Brother introduced my band at the Firehouse when we opened up for Robin Trower. Howard Leese came up and did three songs with us.
His Sister and the rest of the family was there.

I often think of what it would have been like if he did not die.

Only person who was a bigger influence on how I play would be Page. ...

By the way any of you notice he uses the Benson method for how he uses a pick. It has a lot to do with how he sounds.

When I was in my early 20's I really didn't give a shit about JH.. I was into Metal and what would be called Grunge was about to hit full swing..

Anyhoo., a friend and his sisters boyfriend and me went out one night to party.. This guy had some Acid, so we tripped out and partied down town Detroit at 3 Floors of Fun.. He had a Hendrix Cassette and the Acid was like putting on glasses for the 1st time and then you could see. Suddenly, I understood.. LOL

Right after that I tried to seek him out. This was right before Internet and I was car less at the time. I looked in a Phone Book and found this Video Store and rented Live At Monterey that I walked too.. The 6h interval things he did was new to me and really cool.

He was great and a flash in the pan.. 67-70. 3 years of recording and touring and people still try to cop that vibe.

Hendrix remains relevant more than 50 years after his death. Changed guitar playing and rocked the world. You still hear his songs in between football games on national television selected by various manufactures to market their goods. Hendrix had the total package and the NY Eve performances with Band of Gypsy's remains the pinacle of live guitar tone in my opinion. Machine Gun being an example of improv and tone and complete expression.

I was suspended for three days in 7th grade for climbing the flag pole and lowering the flag to half staff the day he died. Yes I am old as fuck but Jimi had it all and very few, if any since had the abilities he had.

Last edited:
Any of you guys hear, “Taking care of no business”? One of my favourite songs by Jimi. Just an acoustic guitar and a hummed out solo.

Another cool one is the version of “Look over to Yonder” on South Saturn Delta.

He was a big influence for me as a musician as well, but I can’t play like him worth a dime.

I've been picking apart bits & pieces of what Hendrix did, since I was in high school in the late 90's. We'll never run out of things we can learn from what he did.

There are many producers/engineers (I read their books) that claim that Hendrix always sounded very "heavy" live, but Eddy Kramer failed to get the "heavy" Hendrix sound on most of his records, he was more about using fx etc. which were new at the time. Not my words, but he did sound heavier playing live. Actually I am reading a book by Tony Visconti right now, and he basically said this too....though I've heard it before.

I try to learn as many different picking hand techniques as I can. I can switch between the different methods fluidly.

The Benson method has a very different attack and much deeper thicker tone. The slower attack gives a more compressed smooth sound and feel. I believe less than 5% of guitar players are familiar with the technique.

This is the method Hendrix used. I first learned it in 1976.

Back