JP-2C Traditional or Standard 4x12?

• Thread starter Thread starter Simon Dorn
  • Start date Start date
I think both cabs sound great, and the difference is more aesthetic than anything else :dunno:

I would grab whichever one looks the coolest and maybe do some speaker fiddling and swapping if I wanted to change the sound.

Pretty sure the JP2C was designed along with the Standard as a reference cab.

I've never tried one with the traditional but I have had one with a Standard and it sounded amazing. Sat in the live mix perfectly and no boom whatsoever.

Traditional is smaller, like a Marshall 1960B and will be tighter. Standard is the Recto oversize cab; not super loose but not as tight/focused as the Traditional.
Both sound killer with any/all non Marshall amps I've played through them with. Don't care for most Marshalls and V30s; other than a Jubilee. Except my 1980s version Marshall Vintages...they rule with everything.

I got both cabs, but I stack them with my Mark V. I always preferred the Traditional 4x12 to the Rectifier cab, because it is tighter to my ears, but I always hear both at once these days. Really, both at once is the only correct answer here.

Ok so I'm a weirdo... I like the smaller standard slant 4x12 live in the room with an actual amp BUT I like the straight oversized "traditional" 4x12 for recording.

Ok so I'm a weirdo... I like the smaller standard slant 4x12 live in the room with an actual amp BUT I like the straight oversized "traditional" 4x12 for recording.
You've got them backwards.
Traditional=smaller, tighter like a vintage cab.
Standard=Oversize Recto cab; wall of sound/big lows. Looser than the Traditional.

You've got them backwards.
Traditional=smaller, tighter like a vintage cab.
Standard=Oversize Recto cab; wall of sound/big lows. Looser than the Traditional.
Ah, sorry about that. I always get them confused. Basically, I like the smaller slant for live playing but I like the oversized straight cab for recording.

I've got a standard OS Mesa cab and a traditional sized Avatar cab that I use with my Mark IV (which has a similar tone to the JP2C), and it really depends day to day which one I like more. They both have their strong points. The OS has that big wall of sound and a lot of thump to it, but the traditional sized is tighter, more focused, more mid forward. Yesterday I was playing thru the Mesa OS and it sounded killer.

Ah, sorry about that. I always get them confused. Basically, I like the smaller slant for live playing but I like the oversized straight cab for recording.
You know because of the vertical front baffle on a straight cab there is a small amount of phase cancellation on a straight cab, which takes out a bit of mid range content. Try mic'ing the slanted speakers on your slant cab and you might like the results. The result is usually bigger mids. It is hard to beat the low end punch on a OS straight cab though, so I can see why you go for that.

Back