• Thread starter Thread starter TheMagicEight
  • Start date Start date

Les Paul with P90s or Strat?

• Strat

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Les Paul w/ P90s

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
I'm fond of tmy Sadowsky tele-strat style with a 5 way.
Obviously it's a tele style body but it's got three Lollar P90s. A Les Paul with P90s sounds like a Les Paul with a hint of Telecaster; this has a greater nod to the Fender type sound with bolt on neck and longer scale.

redwoodrocksturned.jpg

redwoodfinishedobliqueslate.jpg

Jimredwoodshreddingwah.jpg

Les Paul w/ P-Rails. You'd get single coil, P-90 and humbucker tones all in one.

I'd probably choose the Les Paul w/P90s.

My housemate has an ESP Explorer with three P90s.

I love the Glassy Fender Twang for clean tones, sounds heavenly. But otherwise I need that warm thick chunk, so I play my Les Paul (copy) with a pair of Suhr aldrich humbuckers. For cleaner stuff I can split them to single coils.

That's a bad ass guitar Jim. :rock: :rock:

I just put a down on my first LP - a Bonamassa. Wish P90s would fit in a humbucker route. Would love to swap some pups for testing. Always played super strat type guitars, so looking for a good change. I don't get along with traditional strats with 3 single coils and that friggin volume knob right up on the bridge. Anyway I voted LP P90s, just from the ones I've been able to play at Tone Merchants. Really great classic rock vibes.

Shark Diver":1fl9jeom said:

I just put a down on my first LP - a Bonamassa. Wish P90s would fit in a humbucker route. Would love to swap some pups for testing. Always played super strat type guitars, so looking for a good change. I don't get along with traditional strats with 3 single coils and that friggin volume knob right up on the bridge. Anyway I voted LP P90s, just from the ones I've been able to play at Tone Merchants. Really great classic rock vibes.
Thanks Dave !

Bare Knuckle and I Lollar make humbucker size P90 or P90 ish pickups.

This is my R4 goldtop with Lollar P90s. It sounds incredibly sweet but doesn't get that spank and chime of Fenders. It does it's own thing very very well.

13960_100640763296577_100000519610386_15581_1842211_n.jpg

GtsfromLcloseup.jpg

Tawlks":97kzfsgq said:
sandman31774":97kzfsgq said:
i'm definitely a strat guy :thumbsup:

Same.

I prefer a really fat strat sound (Think Gilmour) over 95% of Paul tones. Though those Black Beauty's with P90s are the sex!
IMO, one of the best solos Gilmour ever did was with a p90 lp and a boogie, just sayin. My vote is for LP w/p90 Lollars(quiet ya know)

If you're digging the strat tone and want to get it out of a Les Paul there's a couple options I've found.

1. Les Paul w/Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90s. In the middle position, hum-cancelling and very strat-like. I have an Epi LP standard with this config and it NAILS all of the 70's rock tones and can do even more with a high-gain amp or a boost.
2. Split the coils. I have an Epi LP that I put a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge, Gibson 490R in the neck, then wired them to a push-pull pot. Excellent strat tones.
3. If you're looking for the neck position strat tone in a Les Paul (or any other humbucker-equipped guitar) put a Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell in the neck position. Smooth and sweet. I put one in the neck of an Ibanez S540 and it NAILS the neck position strat tones, especially with a Dimarzio Cruiser Neck in the middle.

Cheers,

IntenseJim":1jcoywvd said:
Shark Diver":1jcoywvd said:

Thanks Dave !

Bare Knuckle and I Lollar make humbucker size P90 or P90 ish pickups.

This is my R4 goldtop with Lollar P90s. It sounds incredibly sweet but doesn't get that spank and chime of Fenders. It does it's own thing very very well.

13960_100640763296577_100000519610386_15581_1842211_n.jpg

GtsfromLcloseup.jpg

Nice Goldtops, :rock: :rock: yours?

Yep: 71 Deluxe routed for humbuckers and and R4 relic'd by the good boys at RS Guitarworks.

IntenseJim":1jfgr9ir said:
Yep: 71 Deluxe routed for humbuckers and and R4 relic'd by the good boys at RS Guitarworks.

So how do you intonate the P90 Gibson, since you are using the tail piece as a bridge. Just noticed this today, not sure how I missed it before. :)

You can't intonate it. But it works fine for me.
Some have use a Pigtail bridge.

Back