Let's Talk About Tuning..

• Thread starter Thread starter MontiCristo
  • Start date Start date
This is my experience. Those VH tuning posted above sound great on those particular songs but sound worse than standard tuning on other songs.

I had a Buzz Feiten guitar and that guitar sounded great for certain more complex chords but at the expense of sweet sounding 5ths so power chords didn’t sound as sweet. Probably good for jazz but not so much for rock.

Guitarists over the years just learned to avoid those bad intervals (or tune to sweeten a particular interval or chord that occurs a ton in a song). Often changing where and which strings you play can make a sour interval much sweeter.

This is why everyone should have 53 guitars minimum, one for each micro-tuning.

This is my experience. Those VH tuning posted above sound great on those particular songs but sound worse than standard tuning on other songs.

I had a Buzz Feiten guitar and that guitar sounded great for certain more complex chords but at the expense of sweet sounding 5ths so power chords didn’t sound as sweet. Probably good for jazz but not so much for rock.

Guitarists over the years just learned to avoid those bad intervals (or tune to sweeten a particular interval or chord that occurs a ton in a song). Often changing where and which strings you play can make a sour interval much sweeter.
You think the jazz guys don’t use 5ths?

That's true for all but one of them.

One of them is teh magic tuning that put's all chords in tune across the entire neck.

:cool:
Well then you still don't get it. That's not possible, I thought we were past that part.

so which tuning are you saying "magically puts all chords in tune across the neck" which one above?
I use a Peterson StroboPLUS HD on my recording desk, and after trying damn near all the VH offset tunings, I came up with my own tuning.

J8LEYEN.jpg

Have you even tried the tunings ?

That's what I thought.

:ROFLMAO:
Of course, many years ago when someone else posted them. Maybe not the specific ones you posted but the different tunings for early VH were posted a long time ago. At least due in part that they weren't actually A 440, Ed and Michael just tuned to each other. I mostly didn't like them but the tuning is just the open string anyway. Soon as different players on different guitars start fretting notes it's not going to yield the same result.

It stands to reason that if Ed did all this work to have perfect tunings for each song that he would also have intonation offsets...but we'll never know.

The fact remains there is no tuning that sounds perfectly in tune in all keys across the entire fretboard with straight frets. It's just not physically possible.

This is not just a guitar issue, it is the 12 notes per octave basis of western music.

Many people have tried microtonal options to add more notes per octave, but none of those ever became popular music. They are interesting oddities that may prove a point few care about.

It’s an imperfect system that has worked good enough for centuries, by people much better than us, accept it, and move on with your musical journey, you’ll be much happier in the end.

Of course, many years ago when someone else posted them. Maybe not the specific ones you posted but the different tunings for early VH were posted a long time ago. At least due in part that they weren't actually A 440, Ed and Michael just tuned to each other. I mostly didn't like them but the tuning is just the open string anyway. Soon as different players on different guitars start fretting notes it's not going to yield the same result.

It stands to reason that if Ed did all this work to have perfect tunings for each song that he would also have intonation offsets...but we'll never know.

The fact remains there is no tuning that sounds perfectly in tune in all keys across the entire fretboard with straight frets. It's just not physically possible.

This is not just a guitar issue, it is the 12 notes per octave basis of western music.

Many people have tried microtonal options to add more notes per octave, but none of those ever became popular music. They are interesting oddities that may prove a point few care about.

It’s an imperfect system that has worked good enough for centuries, by people much better than us, accept it, and move on with your musical journey, you’ll be much happier in the end.
Ol' Wolfgang Amadeus made due.

Right and I've been playing 20+ years and have been just fine. Just thought I would reach out and see what approaches my guitar peers have used to combat the issue. Really surprised at the level of diatribe this post has received.

...and this is the material that's on the cover page.

I regret even skimming through this snoozefest of useless information that also had zero entertainment value whatsoever.

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Buy a guitar with true temperament frets or just remove all of your frets.
Multiscale will also get you closer, depending on where the neutral fret lies in conjunction with the scale lengths, string gauge, action, tuning, etc...
Seems like this thread is resolved.

Sounds like you need to adjust the intonation of your guitar.

Back