Marshall DSL100HR

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27494

Hey guys,

I got a Marshall DSL100HR recently. I've wanted one for a while. There's something about the DSL sound that I really enjoy. The gain tones have a nice fatness and richness to them that really make them stand out in a full mix.

I already owned the DSL20HR and DSL50 JCM 2000, those are nice in their own ways too but I really wanted this 100 because it's the best modern DSL there is in terms of tones, features and loudness for me personally. It does have a couple of quirks, the reverb level is super low and the clean tones aren't amazing but other than that I really dig it. It sounds quite different from all my others Marshalls, the DSL20HR aside of course since that sounds quite similar.

I imagine it sounds great with a boost too but I have yet to try it. Here is a little video demo that I made with some tones from clean to heavy:

What do you think of the DSL100HR? Have one? Any thoughts?

Those stock transformers feel like they're made of styrofoam. I had a DSL100H and did an OT and choke upgrade. Holy smokes, did that make a difference. I regret selling that amp and will do that project again when another 100H falls into my lap for a song. Oh, and I listed the stock OT on eBay and some guy in Russia bought it through the eBay Global Shipping Program. Couldn't believe it, but it's been several years and I never heard about it again.

I've not played the current HR, but I can say that I preferred the DSL100H to the JCM 2000. Build and tone wise.

At the same time I did the OT and choke upgrade on 100H, I also bought a JCM2000 DSL100 that had the same upgrade. I A/B'ed them extensively and the 100H always won out. I now have a JCM2000 DSL50 and also did the upgrade on it and it slays them all. Got it for a song and am never letting it go.

I prefer the older JCM2000 DSLs, especially on the green crunch channel with a boost, but these are a good amp at a great price.

I don't know about the build quality, but marshall has never been awesome about that, so I don't really think theres an advantage to the older ones considering the bias drift etc.

I could not disagree more strongly. A brand spanking new Marshall DSL100 watt tube amp that has been used by countless musicians including Jeff Beck and Gary Moore, for $999? There are many players who can save up a grand and be happy with this amp for the rest of their lives.
Well John...do you play to your own head?
Or in a legit live band mix?
That's the tail of the tape.
If I'm super picky about whatever, how's the music you created?
Not pieces mashed together blah, that's
why music sucks now, no blood sweat and
grinded gears..just sit there all perfect with the
perfect tone & tubes and create!!!
Anybody want to go all in?
Message me, let's f'n go man.
I'm ready, I'll sleep on downtown benches till the sun rises.. to go grind it out.
I have a lot to lose but I don't care anymore.
Computer's can't create human chemistry
amongst musician's.

I could not disagree more strongly. A brand spanking new Marshall DSL100 watt tube amp that has been used by countless musicians including Jeff Beck and Gary Moore, for $999? There are many players who can save up a grand and be happy with this amp for the rest of their lives.
tumblr_oikbkmV2tu1tooympo1_400.gifv

I couldn't disagree stronger lol.
Beck & Moore used the UK Bletchley made JCM-2000 DSL's
Couldn't tell you what Beck uses now but he gets his money for nothing and his chicks for free.
GDFR6O.gif

Last edited:
Yes, with the Marshall midi footswitch
midi footswitch not included with amp correct ?
Im sure the HR would get the job done for the average GP.
How long it holds up who knows.
Everything about the Vietnam DSL's just seem like a downgrade from the UK made JCM-2000 DSL series from the UK Dagnall transformers on down and i know earlier UK DSL's had bias problems.
Lets face it, Marshall moved manufacturing to VN cuz labor is a shit-ton cheaper than paying Brits. Not because VN is necessarily better.
Ive had two JCM2K DSL's a 2005 & still have a 2009. Awesome amps, never had a problem.
Never felt the need to get a newer DSL either.
I am partial to my 70's JMP Marshalls but my JCM 2000 DSL-100 will hang with it.

Last edited:
I had the head, my buddy had the combo. We both shit-canned the amp after a few months. Nothing really wrong with it but I didn't like any channel.
The Green clean channel, IMO was anemic. It took pedals like shit. Yes, they worked well enough thru the channel, but there was no tone. Anemic.
The Red "crunch" mode also sucked. With a Strat there is no decent available gain.
The lead channel......there was something in the distortion/ tone that wasn't for me. I love Marshalls. I've owned nearly everything they put out, including the JVM, the Satriani JVM, Vintage Modern, YJM100, on and on.
The DSL is cheap and IMO it sounds cheap. I don't miss it. IMO, good amp for a young kid because it's affordable. For me? A POS.

What exactly is cheaper about Vietnam made ones to UK ones ?
I had at least 5 UK DSL, even one with Mercury Magnetic iron, and none of them sounded better than H version . Slightly different. There is nothing magic about early DSL.

i have the 100H, i got it at the start of the lockdown along with a bunch of other gear and never really spent much time with it, one of these rainy days ill have to go through my guitars/boosts/cabs. i know i was disappointed in the green channel boosted which i heard so much about.

Back