Marshall JCM 800 or an X reissue?

• Thread starter Thread starter Wayniac3
  • Start date Start date
W
Wayniac3
Thinking I need to get a Marshall back into my stable... trying to finalize, downsize and end my GAS. Currently have a 5150, 5150II, and ENGL artist. Any of which I may part with
Are the older Vintage 800's (2203/4/5) better than the current reissues?
As a child of the 80's, I know the old ones had MOJO when you got a good one, but the newer ones have "fresher" components and might require less maintenance (caps, etc)...

In the past, I'd run a PQ3 in front - I'll either end up running a boost in front or a Legendary tones module in it regardless.

Any guidance is appreciated

Well, the new ones have an effects loop. So, if that is important, then I'd probably get a new one. I keep eyeballing them, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

for what they are charging for re issues ..... you can get a Vintage for the same price basically .....

as long as I could make sure the vintage wasn't modded and in good health .... I'd go Vintage in a heartbeat .

You never know what you're getting with the older amps, unless you get pics which you hope are accurate and current, or have a chance to look inside yourself; you also need to know what components should be inside for a given model/year. The early Marshall's used whatever they had available so lots of variablility.

last year when the prices dropped, I got a new 1959x. Much less than the vintage 1959 around, no immediate maintenance needed, and no need to wonder what's inside or spend time investigating to know what I'm actually buying.

I know the vintage are likely to sound better, but there are also some vintage dogs. The new modern versions have more consistency IMO

Bought one last year. Fantastic sounding amp! It even sounds good at low volumes, which surprised me since most people say they do not (I have a PowerStation and don't really use it with the 2203x).

Engaging the loop does suck a bit of high-end, similar to using a high-capacitance cable. I use the loop to hook up a Synergy dock to add a foot-switchable clean channel when I need it so it is worth the small trade-off IMO. Otherwise, you can just bypass the loop.
Also, the Hot Mod V2 is a great add-on to the amp or just boost it with your choice of OD pedal.

for what they are charging for re issues ..... you can get a Vintage for the same price basically .....

as long as I could make sure the vintage wasn't modded and in good health .... I'd go Vintage in a heartbeat .
This.

The old iron sounds better...maybe in 20yrs the 2203x iron will age nicely? But when I've had a reissue, and A/Bd the vintage the vintage always wins. Just get good pics and make sure the amp had original Dagnall/Drakes and you're good.

GC has a few Vintage ones right now ..... along with a couple of re issue's ... at least over the weekend they did ... all priced about the same ...

from 2500 to 2000 .......

I would get a vintage off of them and have it checked out .....worst case you're out 35.00 bucks for shipping ... if you need to bring it back

I almost grabbed the 2204 they had to turn it into a JEL to see if I could flip it ...

New.... doesn't need new caps... hasn't been raped a dozen times...

How much is cork worth to you?

Get new. The old ones are NOT worth fuckin 2-2500 it's dumb. Just 4 years ago even JMP were everywhere for 12-1500.

Then the modded marshall trend started and builders started hoarding everything like the 2c+ guys did. Its always a marketing scheme to inflate prices further than they already have at this point.

Well the current X has Vietnam transformers so if thats a thing .... {?}
For $2500 i'll pass.

Last edited:
Thinking I need to get a Marshall back into my stable... trying to finalize, downsize and end my GAS. Currently have a 5150, 5150II, and ENGL artist. Any of which I may part with
Are the older Vintage 800's (2203/4/5) better than the current reissues?
As a child of the 80's, I know the old ones had MOJO when you got a good one, but the newer ones have "fresher" components and might require less maintenance (caps, etc)...

In the past, I'd run a PQ3 in front - I'll either end up running a boost in front or a Legendary tones module in it regardless.

Any guidance is appreciated
I sold my `83 2203 in favor for a 2020 2203x which i had at the same time for the same reasons: "but the newer ones have "fresher" components and might require less maintenance (caps, etc)..."

If you can find a late 70s or early 80s 2203 with original iron for the right price, that'd probably be my first choice. Any tech who's versed in Marshalls can check caps and other components, and make sure it's a prime example of what's so great about those amps.

I went with a Ceriatone 2203, with a 3-way bright switch and NFB control rather than a 2203x. If I didn't like the character of Ceriatone's stock OT, there are several aftermarket transformers I could use instead, that I think are at least as good as what Marshall's been using.

Back