Marshall JCM 800 or an X reissue?

• Thread starter Thread starter Wayniac3
  • Start date Start date
Bought one last year. Fantastic sounding amp! It even sounds good at low volumes, which surprised me since most people say they do not (I have a PowerStation and don't really use it with the 2203x).

Engaging the loop does suck a bit of high-end, similar to using a high-capacitance cable. I use the loop to hook up a Synergy dock to add a foot-switchable clean channel when I need it so it is worth the small trade-off IMO. Otherwise, you can just bypass the loop.
Also, the Hot Mod V2 is a great add-on to the amp or just boost it with your choice of OD pedal.

Yes it does, but that's not always a bad thing since these amps are so freaking bright already.

I use the loop to hook up a Synergy dock to add a foot-switchable clean channel when I need it so it is worth the small trade-off IMO. Otherwise, you can just bypass the loop.

Can you explain more about this? My 2203X is modded with an extra gain-stage so there is no longer usable cleans in the amp. Does the Synergy module somehow bypass the amp's own preamp?

Can you explain more about this? My 2203X is modded with an extra gain-stage so there is no longer usable cleans in the amp. Does the Synergy module somehow bypass the amp's own preamp?

Yes, the Synergy SYN1 or SYN2 will bypass the amp's preamp and go straight into the power amp. You're also able to bypass the Synergy and use the amp as normal. It's basically like adding an extra channel to your amp.

Yes, the Synergy SYN1 or SYN2 will bypass the amp's preamp and go straight into the power amp. You're also able to bypass the Synergy and use the amp as normal. It's basically like adding an extra channel to your amp.

Interesting. I wonder how good it would work to add a Plexi style pristine/chimey clean tone.

Any issues with ground loops?

Interesting. I wonder how good it would work to add a Plexi style pristine/chimey clean tone.

Any issues with ground loops?
I haven't had any issues with ground loops even with running multiple units.
Here a decent video of how it all works.

I sold my `83 2203 in favor for a 2020 2203x which i had at the same time for the same reasons: "but the newer ones have "fresher" components and might require less maintenance (caps, etc)..."
A Marshall(JMP, JCM 800, Jubilee) is a VERY uncomplicated amp. Unlike, say, a Mesa. There's really only 2 things to look at...the can caps, and the bias caps. Those are the only 'possible' service items. The can caps, as it's been stated here before by a certain builder who is very knowledgeable, are almost immortal. For whatever reason, must be what they used, the old Dalys(60s-70s) and later LCRs(80s-90s) just don't die. If the amp has not been played for years on end, then they 'may' need replacing, but you can still re form them yourself. Changing can caps is very easy, if I can do it anyone can.

When it comes to transformers, well, the new ones are from Vietnam, I'd much rather trust an old British Dagnall/Drake than something coming out of nam.

But, that's me. In all the years, 60+ Marshalls only ONE came to me with caps that needed changing. 60 bucks and 1 hour of my time later, it was a killer machine. My 72 Tremolo? Original EVERYTHING. The 67 50w I had a year ago? Original EVERYTHING.
They both sound fantastic.

A Marshall(JMP, JCM 800, Jubilee) is a VERY uncomplicated amp. Unlike, say, a Mesa. There's really only 2 things to look at...the can caps, and the bias caps. Those are the only 'possible' service items. The can caps, as it's been stated here before by a certain builder who is very knowledgeable, are almost immortal. For whatever reason, must be what they used, the old Dalys(60s-70s) and later LCRs(80s-90s) just don't die. If the amp has not been played for years on end, then they 'may' need replacing, but you can still re form them yourself. Changing can caps is very easy, if I can do it anyone can.

When it comes to transformers, well, the new ones are from Vietnam, I'd much rather trust an old British Dagnall/Drake than something coming out of nam.

But, that's me. In all the years, 60+ Marshalls only ONE came to me with caps that needed changing. 60 bucks and 1 hour of my time later, it was a killer machine. My 72 Tremolo? Original EVERYTHING. The 67 50w I had a year ago? Original EVERYTHING.
They both sound fantastic.
Yes, i know. I paid 750€ for the old one and put a set of tubes for 100€ in it. After i got the new 2203x for 850€ (which has the Malta-"Dagnall" in it) i compared them for some time and i decided to sell the 83, as they sounded almost identical and i simply did not want to bother with it. I was left with a new amp and 1000€.

Last edited:
If the Vintage one has original trannies and isn't modded by an idiot, then they are hard to beat.

Reissues are cool, but they don't have Drakes in em, and new ones have Asian trannies...which I know are cool with a few cats here, buy don't cut my mustard.

I had 2 of the 2203x heads about 15 years ago. They were all right, but they were only going for about $1k back then. When it came time to buy another 2203, I had one built for me. It has a Mercury O100-JM OT in it, and it sounds and feels great.

I had 2 of the 2203x heads about 15 years ago. They were all right, but they were only going for about $1k back then. When it came time to buy another 2203, I had one built for me. It has a Mercury O100-JM OT in it, and it sounds and feels great.
That is cool. But, resale on custom built amps is horrid. A vintage Marshall holds value much better. So money well spent imho.

I’d be curious to hear a reissue next to an OG. I’ve where played a reissue but people I trust have said they’re great.

I’d be curious to hear a reissue next to an OG. I’ve where played a reissue but people I trust have said they’re great.

This is what makes things so wierd. They will always be different. 2 new ones will sound different. It's all just a spectrum and within that spectrum... the same damn circuit will be here and there, old and new. So many other factors to consider when people make these type of comparisons.

This is what makes things so wierd. They will always be different. 2 new ones will sound different. It's all just a spectrum and within that spectrum... the same damn circuit will be here and there, old and new. So many other factors to consider when people make these type of comparisons.
Definitely a valid point. As far as I’m concerned at the end of the day, if it makes you play - it’s a good amp

Ceriatone 2203 with Marstran spec’d transformers. Ask Nik to design it to have an all tube effects loop with passive send/return levels. If you want stock Marshall that’s the best there is today for the money IMO

Ceriatone 2203 with Marstran spec’d transformers. Ask Nik to design it to have an all tube effects loop with passive send/return levels. If you want stock Marshall that’s the best there is today for the money IMO
We had a small amp fest in Chi last fall. Jeff(Beyond Black) and I both brought our Nick 'mutant Aldrich' modded amps. Mine started life as a 69 Major, that someone made into a Superlead using a pair of 70s Dagnall transformers. Had all the stock mustards, Daly caps etc. Jeff's amp was a clone, built to a 1968 Superlead specs using all the good modern repro stuff....Marstran PT/OT, good modern caps/resistors and ARS caps. Both killer amps, and you have a Nick modded amp so you know how good they are.
It was no comparison....my 'Frankenmarshall' absolutely slayed the 68 clone with all the good modern repro stuff. Same awesome mod, by Nick, yet the original was WAAY better.
So, I will always say, get an original vintage Marshall. They always and every time, sound, feel and hold value better than any new 2203X, or modern clone.
If you're patient, you can find deals. I just scored an 81 2204 for 1700.

We had a small amp fest in Chi last fall. Jeff(Beyond Black) and I both brought our Nick 'mutant Aldrich' modded amps. Mine started life as a 69 Major, that someone made into a Superlead using a pair of 70s Dagnall transformers. Had all the stock mustards, Daly caps etc. Jeff's amp was a clone, built to a 1968 Superlead specs using all the good modern repro stuff....Marstran PT/OT, good modern caps/resistors and ARS caps. Both killer amps, and you have a Nick modded amp so you know how good they are.
It was no comparison....my 'Frankenmarshall' absolutely slayed the 68 clone with all the good modern repro stuff. Same awesome mod, by Nick, yet the original was WAAY better.
So, I will always say, get an original vintage Marshall. They always and every time, sound, feel and hold value better than any new 2203X, or modern clone.
If you're patient, you can find deals. I just scored an 81 2204 for 1700.
Yeah I was there too. No contest. I have a feeling a Marshall reissue JCM800X or SLP reissue probably would’ve sounded better with that mod. I’d actually think the best affordable option would be a ‘90’s Sovtek MIG with the mod. I prefer Marshall’s, but they’re equally raw and organic sounding imo as stock amps and at least a hell of a lot better than the Ceriatone or other modern cheap alternatives for possibly also even less money than those. Maybe their inherently fatter sound than Marshall’s could also yield more of that Uber sound from the Mutant mod, which I didn’t hear in the your guy’s 2

My Nick mod is in a 1996 1959 reissue and rips. It was done a long time ago for a fellow forum member that has since passed away due to cancer.

The mutant mod is not what this one is. It’s a straight up PTP clone of a Cameron Aldrich. No Bogner resonance control or any other additional changes. It just has a passive loop as well that isn’t buffered.

I’ll be putting it under the knife to add a dedicated footswitchable clean channel with a simple tone knob and second master on the back. I’ll keep the passive loop as I’m not a fan of LND150s.

Back