Marshall JVM clip using the "direct out" feature...

• Thread starter Thread starter Digital Jams
  • Start date Start date
Yup, it is already good.
And currently Peter is making it even better (also on Herbert) - now a load is needed, after the upgrade not anymore.

:|::QBB:
SgtThump":fced3 said:

Also, when you turn the gain down to 10:00 or something, you can hear the amp getting slightly thinner. That gain control also controls thickness, so it sounds better up high, but is a little too much distortion.

I could definitely hear that at the beginning of the clip. That lower gain Kiss song sounded thin. Got much better when you moved on to higher gain.

Shit now I really want one! Anyone still got one forsale?

All these clips are killing me plus the direxct out sounds great. Need to keep fighting :doh:

SgtThump":2a6b0 said:

Yeah, that was OD1/Orange, meaning that there are other modes that have more distortion. That was also the "gain" knob set at 11:00 o'clock.

I think this amp has just a little too much distortion for me on the OD1/OD2 channels. It's not quite enough in the green modes on those channels and a little too much in the orange modes. Also, when you turn the gain down to 10:00 or something, you can hear the amp getting slightly thinner. That gain control also controls thickness, so it sounds better up high, but is a little too much distortion.

what you just described is the immediate impression i got from the amp at NAMM.

the clean tone was very cool, a fresh sound from marshall, and stuck with me.

next, i could have used more "fleshy" jtm 45 type quality in the lower gain modes than i heard, where the amp is really bluesy/growly and dynamic with the gtr volume cranked, without needing preamp gain, and then when you roll it back it gets really glassy and clean, yet still bouncy feeling, without loosing the highs. i'd love to hear clips of that area of the amp, played pretty loud, with NOS tubes.

when i tried to find that caliber/type of sound in the vintage modern i played, which is the amp i'm guessing they made to specialize in that area of tone that the JVM doesn't focus on, i had no success either. but again, with the right tubes/pickups, who knows...

back to the JVM, it seems to sort of skip over the ability to really extract those lower gain classic tones, and move quickly into higher gain modern sounds (very nice marshally high gain tones), which i suppose 90% of the gtr world wants to hear from amps these days.

carlygtr56":06ee6 said:

Not quite....those classic tones required a pedal for higher gain, and there are several modes in the JVM that get you that.
My clip of the first channel of the JVM has it almost getting Hiwatt style crunch. Hit that with some OD, you got a great rhythm/lead tone.

It doesn't skip over anything. I spent over a week with the amp.
Like saying a 2203 skipped over something when everybody hits those amps with some OD.

George's clips in the lower gain modes puts that shit to rest as well.

you're getting great tones with the JVM. my favorites so far are the clean hendrix tones, the clapton/cream tones, and the kill the king sounds. so is george. his VH clip was cool---not really trying to nail VH tone, but that doesn't matter because it's cool tone period.

i'm glad you're enjoying the amp, and i look forward to the clips you make with the VM.

carlygtr56":9c48b said:

Pat, not looking to bust them, but with 12 modes, and not being able to find something usable...IMO, its not the amp :lol:
I got an encyclopedia of Marshall at my disposal :lol:

The opposite of the thinning out when you lower the gain, is the "sludge' preamp....where is fat undistiguishable at any setting, such as ch 4 of the Diezel VH-4. You cant tell a Les Paul from a Tele.

I'll get to those lower gain modes soon.

The VM will be interesting. I'm looking foward to it. No regrets cancelling the VHT SIG-X (which no doubt will be killer) and getting the VM.
I saved some $$$, got a "pedal" Marshall, and it will likely replace my current pedal amp, the Heritage.

i was dead serious when i said they should have hired you to make the clips of this amp, instead of the guy on the website, who seems like any other rocker that has a fairly limited idea of what a marshall's "are", and very pedestrian chops to boot. you would have sold more!

i never did understand the VH-4, even the coveted channel 3. It must take on a new identity with effects in the loop, is all i can think.

the VHT deliverance 60 watt is great IMO. it has that openness and dynamics i look for in aggresive amps. retains the twang of the strings and balances the wood tone with it. the peacemaker isn't as twangy, but it has a midrange clarity, without added presence, or congested gain, that still has me feeling it's the one to beat for rock and roll--

......IN MY OPINION...... :cry: :doh: :D :cool:

carlygtr56":29d66 said:
The opposite of the thinning out when you lower the gain, is the "sludge' preamp....where is fat undistiguishable at any setting, such as ch 4 of the Diezel VH-4. You cant tell a Les Paul from a Tele.

If you are saying that the VH4 channel 4(or any channel for that matter) doesn't expose the character of the guitar you are playing, you're completely wrong. When my last band recorded, we used a VH4S where the settings didn't change at all. I still have the tape where the settings were actually. It was night and day between my Les Paul and the other guy's Strat with hotrails.

Isn't there supposed to be a Peacemaker clip now. I love 1-uppers. :D

BTW, the DI clip sounded fantastic! Much better then the Herbert.

Back