Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 vs JVM?

• Thread starter Thread starter team13chad
  • Start date Start date
team13chad
team13chad
I'm real sweet on my JCM 800s right now and have two potential trades for my EVH 50watt Stealth.

That VM is a sleeper of an amp isn't it?

JVM gets a lot of bad pub in this board but I really love mine. Several great tones, always delivers. With an FX8 and MIDI it’s so flexible. Haven’t owned a Vintage Modern

VM needs a boost; JVM does not. JVM more bells n whistles I believe but haven’t owned one; tried one at GC. I did own a VM briefly but liked my 800 a bunch more so I sold it. I think the JVM is more different than your 800 vs the VM.
Go JVM.

Keep in mind the VM has a PPIMV so the effects loop is completely useless, so if you need to run post distortion delays etc, avoid it. Other than that it's a great sounding amp.

JVMs are cool. I prefer the 2 channel version over the 4 channel.

I always enjoyed the Vintage Modern, but I would effectively treat it like an 800, probably not use the effects loop. Great sounding amps though.

Totally different animal from the JVM. If you want a simple, rock amp, like a jacked JTM 45, a Vintage Modern will be good. If you want more than one sound at a time, JVM.

I had both 50 watt versions at the same time. I kept the JVM longer just because its much more flexible. The VM is a good amp, it just doesn't cover as much ground.

My VM is the quietest 50w amp I've ever owned. It would get swallowed up by a loud drummer.

That being said, the voicing of the JVM isn't to my liking but it is a very cool amp if it is to yours

I've owned a JVM205H. JVM'S are great amps. I have two vintage JCM 800 2203's now and if they were stolen, I would buy a JVM.

I have both the JVM410H and the 100 Watt Vintage Modern. The Vintage Modern is a sleeper. The secret is patience.

Without pedals it can do Vintage Classic Rock, convincing 80s Hard Rock and it can do more Modern Hard Rock too. It can also get more sinister. When I play 7 String I set the Tone controls to noon, then adjust the 2 gains (Body and Detail) to my liking. Then I tweak the EQ. Once I have all that dialed in I turn the master up to around 6 and look for the sweet spot. When that happens it gets a highly vicious character. Its not going to be super high gain, just mean.

It also takes pedals well. OD, Distortion, boost and so on. I think the Vintage Modern is Marshall's most underrated amp.

Just me, so take this for what it is, but neither. Played a VM numerous times and owned like 3 JVMs as I wanted a swiss army knife of a marshall. Ultimately, I think they both are pretty generic and nothing special. As much as I wanted the JVM to work, it just didn't.
Agreed neither are great amps imo. All the JVM models to me sounded processed/synthetic, like you’re hearing a recording of a good Marshall rather than something real and the vintage modern I remember being nothing special either

I owned a JVM and had it modded with a choke. It sounded decent and I was happy with it for awhile, but it was not a great amp looking back on it now. I sold it and bought a Marshall YJM100 which was my main amp for years until I switched to a Friedman Small Box. The JVM was always fussy about power and could get thin and buzzy if you played anywhere that had electrical outlets with a lot of line noise. The volume dropped when using the loop, but worst of all, was that split second of silence that would happen when changing channels or modes with the footswitch. I would be playing and would want to take things to the next level and go to a higher gain channel. Step on the footswitch and a brief bit of silence before changing modes/channels. Grooveus Interruptus.

Back