Metallica: Ride the Lightning - 1984

• Thread starter Thread starter Janky
  • Start date Start date
I still do this one now and then. This, MOP, and AJFA are my favorites from them.
IMO Show No Mercy destroys anything in the early 80s in the realm of metal.

AJFA is my favorite Metallica album. RTL is my 2nd favorite. I think RTL is more accessible partly from more melodic material, but AFJA imo was heavier and far more distinctive and just better sounding to me (less dated too) and a lot more interesting rhythmically

Dyers Eve and Blackened especially have some of their most iconic moments for me. I love RTL too, but was never a fan of the bloated midrange sound and overdone reverb (very ‘80’s sounding to me, a bit dated). I feel AJFA soundwise held up better for me and its strongest moments for me are Metallica at their best even though numerically RTL I feel has more good songs

I remember it like it was yesterday

i did things kind of backwards.. there was this old army barracks on this public par 3 golf course my house bordered with that used to have hardcore shows which i started going to back 7th or 8th grade which all sorts of now legendary bands played, we also had the college radio station that played hardcore and death metal on wednesdays so i got into all that stuff before i really heard any mainstream metal. i knew the black album songs at least from being on mtv all the time, but i remember walking through the locker room sometime early in high school and someone put on fight fire with fire at concert volumes, i remember just standing there as those guitars kicked in after the clean part thinking wow, this is fucking thrash metal lol. Pantera was a similar scenario not long after. think im gonna have a few tonight and listen to RtL

I just always disliked the drums sound and production always . I do love the guitar tones
Fair enough. There were definitely better recorded drum sounds around at the time.
Imo the guitars do the heavy lifting and more than make up for it.

Back