Mike Portnoy back in Dream Theater

• Thread starter Thread starter marvcus
  • Start date Start date
...I always thought they were at their best when they leaned into that proggier Pink Floyd vibe, myself, not the arena metal stuff.
Let's just pretend that I'm not that familiar with their catalog. LOL! Which albums would those be?

The 90s stuff, I guess. Probably not the best comparison, maybe just as much Rush as anything else, but definitely a different sort of songwriting after Scenes from a memory.

Let's just pretend that I'm not that familiar with their catalog. LOL! Which albums would those be?

Eh, they don’t really have whole albums that are Floyd-like, just songs and sections across their career. Outside of the night they covered Dark Side in its entirety.

The most on-the-nose Floyd influence is probably this one-

This one has always been hit or miss for me. Some days it’s the most boring DT song they’ve made and others I dig it.

And I’m throwing this in there for good measure, even if it’s not the most Floyd-sounding DT songs, it’s kinda neo-Floyd. The synth sounds in this song and then Petrucci’s fucking solo are perfect-

Eh, they don’t really have whole albums that are Floyd-like, just songs and sections across their career. Outside of the night they covered Dark Side in its entirety.

The most on-the-nose Floyd influence is probably this one-

This one has always been hit or miss for me. Some days it’s the most boring DT song they’ve made and others I dig it.

And I’m throwing this in there for good measure, even if it’s not the most Floyd-sounding DT songs, it’s kinda neo-Floyd. The synth sounds in this song and then Petrucci’s fucking solo are perfect-

Octavarium and Falling into infinity are in my top 5 DT albums....

Unfortunately, I lost interest in DT after Systematic Chaos.....

My favorite line up is still with Derek on keys. He may not be as gifted as JR, but I love his tones, voicings, and lines...

They are getting up there in the years. Better to do a few more albums with Mike and call it before they end up in the has been section.
It’s not an easy life recording traveling etc.

Honestly I lost interest in them because they didn’t stick to what got them there in the first place. Still listen to the older stuff. Hope they can recreate that old magic.
i agree. at a certain point in the mid/late 2000's they tried to be more of a "metal" band and less of a heavy prog rock band if that makes sense.
I think train of thought was the last really solid album in the DT style i like.

i agree. at a certain point in the mid/late 2000's they tried to be more of a "metal" band and less of a heavy prog rock band if that makes sense.
I think train of thought was the last really solid album in the DT style i like.
Honestly, and I may be wrong on this, I feel like that was Portnoy's thing; seems like that toned down after he left.

Bring back Kevin Moore to replace Rudess, get Petrucci back on the Ibanez / Triaxis combo too and then I'll be interested. I'm also totally happy with bringing back the cheese, it gave it some bombast and character.

• Haha
Reactions: rsm
ive never listened to dream theater nor have i really known anyone that listened to them, the only thing i did watch was that drummer search series they did so whatever i heard in that is it, ill have to actually listen one of these years

I actually like Jordan Rudess a lot more in Liquid Tension Experiment than DT, but he even has a lot of interesting stuff in DT... just the schmaltz kills it for me.

I honestly think he's one of the wizard people. A cult that's similar, but not to be confused with the shitterati. It's mostly harmless, but damn all cultists lol

ive never listened to dream theater nor have i really known anyone that listened to them, the only thing i did watch was that drummer search series they did so whatever i heard in that is it, ill have to actually listen one of these years

Missing out, dude. Have a listen to Train of Thought, a very underrated album.

Is this a men’s fashion forum? His eyebrows? WTF? :LOL:

Aye Tone. It was just a random thought while eyebrows the thread.
tenor-3.gif

Dang, big fan of Winery Dogs as well. Hopefully they'll continue

Back