Mod 7 : Modding a 20w el84 amp to get the closest brown sound possible compared to the records

• Thread starter Thread starter Amp_chaser
  • Start date Start date
Here's your benchmark tone..

I'll leave it to you to figure out the difference.

i think i'm getting there. Eddie said that his tone was insanely bright that's why he didn't like it. I bet that donn landee is the man who tamed the brightness.

FWIW, there was an old post by Chris Merren that a Jose mod he saw had the transistors for clippers, he said they were connected B-E-E-B.

TBH, all those clips sound terrible to me and nothing like VH1 or 2. Not trying to be a dick but I always want honest critique so that’s why I’m saying it. It doesn’t sound like a recording problem either.

IMO, it’s not a hard sound to get super close. A really good 100W Marshall NMV, variac’d, cranked, into an old 4x12 with Celestion Blackbacks. If you want to get even closer get a cab with JBLs and run both. If it’s a really good Marshall it will get really close plugged straight in, sometimes they need a little help from an EQ but not much.

FWIW, there was an old post by Chris Merren that a Jose mod he saw had the transistors for clippers, he said they were connected B-E-E-B.

TBH, all those clips sound terrible to me and nothing like VH1 or 2. Not trying to be a dick but I always want honest critique so that’s why I’m saying it. It doesn’t sound like a recording problem either.

IMO, it’s not a hard sound to get super close. A really good 100W Marshall NMV, variac’d, cranked, into an old 4x12 with Celestion Blackbacks. If you want to get even closer get a cab with JBLs and run both. If it’s a really good Marshall it will get really close plugged straight in, sometimes they need a little help from an EQ but not much.

You’re right those clips aren’t great because I recorded with drivers that didn’t work with audacity the rtwd riff was recorded with cakewalk which literally improved everything. But I will record this amp in a studio I’m just waiting for my echoplex to come by mail.

I finally found the issue clips are updated my 2I2 drivers just don't work well with audacity here is a record with cakewalk :

this is the stock amp with the schaffer storm only and some reverb from cakewalk.

It still sounds incredibly buzzy and odd man

It sounds more like you're recording to a line input with a mic or vice versa, because it sounds distorted and scratchy as hell.

Or some cab simulator was forgotten... if you'd plug the FX-loop send from a tube amp directly into a mixing desk, it would sound mostly like this too.
Please, double, no triple check your recording chain.

Guitar-->amp-->speaker cab-->mic-->mic preamp (not line input!)-->DAW/mixing desk.

As psychodave said, just throw your phone up in the room.. you can revisit recording issues another day. I hear the splatty wild gain thing but it sounds like a direct recording off an amp before you apply the speaker IR

Without the 82k plate resistor your phase inverter will only be half working? That's got to be the cause of the messed up sound...

i think i'm getting there. Eddie said that his tone was insanely bright that's why he didn't like it. I bet that donn landee is the man who tamed the brightness.
Not sure where you're getting your "tone" info from, bro.

:unsure:

Back