Mogami Cables: Questions about Customizing Cables for Live Rig and Home Studio

• Thread starter Thread starter Boogie808
  • Start date Start date
B
Boogie808
Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum section for this post. I recently bought some Mogami bulk cable--W2524 and W2534--and a bunch of Neutrik connectors for some custom cables for pedal board, guitar/bass instrument cables, and for my monitor setup (which is a pair of Yamaha NS-10M studio monitors that are powered by a Yamaha P2200 power amp).

First question: For those of you that use Mogami cables for your pedalboards, what connectors are you using? I want to use the Neutrik connectors but it seems like square plugs would be more ideal since they don't take up that much space. Anyone use square plugs for there pedalboards?

Second question: This question is in regard to the cabling for my monitors' power amp connection to the audio interface, which is a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this as i'm a little unsure which route to go in terms of cable and trs or ts connector. First, i was informed that the Mogami 2534 microphone cable with xlr male and trs connectors is the ideal cable to use for the connection between power amp and audio interface, but the interesting thing is that in the manual of the P2200, it states that: "The two XLR input connectors on each channel are unbalanced and are wired in parallel with each other and with the two phone jacks (tip/sleeve type)." Since the input connectors are unbalanced, should i use the W2524 cable instead and also use the ts connectors vs trs? If some one could articulate the different outcomes of this i would really appreciate it. I attached a photo of the back of the amp below.

Third question: What mogami speaker cables are you using for your amp to cabinet cable? I'm looking to make one 4ft cable with speakon connectors and one 4ft cable with 1/4 connectors.

Thanks in advance for reading my novella :alien:

unnamed.jpg

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum section for this post. I recently bought some Mogami bulk cable--W2524 and W2534--and a bunch of Neutrik connectors for some custom cables for pedal board, guitar/bass instrument cables, and for my monitor setup (which is a pair of Yamaha NS-10M studio monitors that are powered by a Yamaha P2200 power amp).

First question: For those of you that use Mogami cables for your pedalboards, what connectors are you using? I want to use the Neutrik connectors but it seems like square plugs would be more ideal since they don't take up that much space. Anyone use square plugs for there pedalboards?

Second question: This question is in regard to the cabling for my monitors' power amp connection to the audio interface, which is a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this as i'm a little unsure which route to go in terms of cable and trs or ts connector. First, i was informed that the Mogami 2534 microphone cable with xlr male and trs connectors is the ideal cable to use for the connection between power amp and audio interface, but the interesting thing is that in the manual of the P2200, it states that: "The two XLR input connectors on each channel are unbalanced and are wired in parallel with each other and with the two phone jacks (tip/sleeve type)." Since the input connectors are unbalanced, should i use the W2524 cable instead and also use the ts connectors vs trs? If some one could articulate the different outcomes of this i would really appreciate it. I attached a photo of the back of the amp below.

Third question: What mogami speaker cables are you using for your amp to cabinet cable? I'm looking to make one 4ft cable with speakon connectors and one 4ft cable with 1/4 connectors.

Thanks in advance for reading my novella :alien:

View attachment 255014
Mogami 3082 for Speaker Cables .......... Squareplug are probably the best ..... and are priced like they are .

I'm a firm believer that Mogami cable is worth the money .... glad you made out OK .
Yup, I am too! I got some some bulk 2497 cable for the monitor situation and more 2524 for instrument and pedal cables. Once I stripped the cable back, the thickness of the copper wire surprised me. I'm used to making canare instrument cables and pedal cables and it seems as though the Mogami copper is just a little thicker. I had to cut a little bit of the copper back on the 2497 cable so that the soldered copper could fit on the G&H connectors that I bought. I'm happy that I got to save a ton of money making these cables myself and that they are made of quality material.

I live by the credo: ‘know your limitations - and succeed within them’

I am sh*t with a soldering iron. So I measured every cable I needed under my board with string, and placed an order for pre-made, custom length cables with Bulk Cable using Mogami and their top of the line straight and angled plugs. Everything fit perfectly with no tension and no excess slack. Now, my board looks like something a pro would take out on tour - and the signal / sound clarity is unreal. Money well spent. And hats off to all the soldering wizards on this forum!!!

Last edited:
I live by the credo: ‘know your limitations - and succeed within them’

I am sh*t with a soldering iron. So I measured every cable I needed under my board with string, and placed an order for pre-made, custom length cables with Bulk Cable using Mogami and their top of the line straight and angled plugs. Everything fit perfectly with no tension and no excess slack. Now, my board looks like something a pro would take out on tour - and the signal / sound clarity is unreal. Money well spent. And hats off to all the soldering wizards on this forum!!!
I did the same in terms of the measurement process (minus using the string). I opted for the square plugs for the 2524 pedal cables, Neutrik Gold straight and right-angle connectors for the 2524 instrument cables, and G&H gold connectors for the 2497 cable that runs from the power amp to my audio interface. I taught myself how to solder a few years back (mostly from watching countless youtube videos and asking audiophiles, guitar repair people about the process), and its been an awesome experience that has saved me tons of money.

I did the same in terms of the measurement process (minus using the string). I opted for the square plugs for the 2524 pedal cables, Neutrik Gold straight and right-angle connectors for the 2524 instrument cables, and G&H gold connectors for the 2497 cable that runs from the power amp to my audio interface. I taught myself how to solder a few years back (mostly from watching countless youtube videos and asking audiophiles, guitar repair people about the process), and its been an awesome experience that has saved me tons of money.
I did not realize how valuable being able to solder would be as a musician. Picked it up over the past couple years and it has been nuts! Pickup swaps, replacement parts, building cables.... It's invaluable!!!

I did not realize how valuable being able to solder would be as a musician. Picked it up over the past couple years and it has been nuts! Pickup swaps, replacement parts, building cables.... It's invaluable!!!
So valuable! It only gets better as you progress. I ended up swapping out the electronics in my bass because there was an issue with one of the pots (Plus I wanted the wiring to look clean). It was the first time I ever worked on electronics that are physically attached to the guitar. Here’s some pics of before and after:

301D2BAC-BF99-4C9C-AAC6-63B6AB19465F.jpeg

IMG_4511.jpeg

So valuable! It only gets better as you progress. I ended up swapping out the electronics in my bass because there was an issue with one of the pots (Plus I wanted the wiring to look clean). It was the first time I ever worked on electronics that are physically attached to the guitar. Here’s some pics of before and after:

View attachment 263886
View attachment 263892
get rid of that tiny little ceramic tone cap .... and replace it with this ......
1699727353181.jpeg
...... thank me later

get rid of that tiny little ceramic tone cap .... and replace it with this ...... View attachment 263904...... thank me later
I’ve heard of those, but at $29.99, I really would like to see a schematic. Another question: Which guitar manufacturers use Emerson capacitors as a stock option in their base level guitars/basses and even at the high-end level models? Just curious…

I’ve heard of those, but at $29.99, I really would like to see a schematic. Another question: Which guitar manufacturers use Emerson capacitors as a stock option in their base level guitars/basses and even at the high-end level models? Just curious…
schematic on what ??? the cap replacement ? Off the top of my head I don't know any companies that use these in a product line .

middle lug of the tone pot ....... to the back of the pot ( Ground ) just like the little ceramic one

and obviously you don't need a 30.00 dollar cap .... but I figured you went with nice CTS Pots and push back wire .... might as well get a Emerson Paper in Oil Cap in there too ...

For pedalboard, Mogami 2319 and these connectors: https://www.click4av.uk/connectors/jacplu01-pancake-mono-jack-plug/

I cannot find them in USA so I order them from UK. If anyone has a source in the USA hook me up. They’re the same plugs that Hosa uses for their 6” patch cable 6-pack.

wow ... those are super thin !! I get all my Audio connectors from Redco ...... don't know if they have ones that thin though .... they have Square Plugs ..... but at 4.00 a piece ..... doing a whole board will add up quick

schematic on what ??? the cap replacement ? Off the top of my head I don't know any companies that use these in a product line .

middle lug of the tone pot ....... to the back of the pot ( Ground ) just like the little ceramic one

and obviously you don't need a 30.00 dollar cap .... but I figured you went with nice CTS Pots and push back wire .... might as well get a Emerson Paper in Oil Cap in there too ...
I’m not talking about how to connect the cap to the pot, I’m interested in a schematic of how that $30 cap physically functions. Those cts pots and push back wire was less than $8.

I’m not talking about how to connect the cap to the pot, I’m interested in a schematic of how that $30 cap physically functions. Those cts pots and push back wire was less than $8.

Thanks for the link. But still, I'm not sure I'm sold on buying that particular cap. I was initially responding to a reply about acquiring the skill of soldering as a musician, and posted a picture of a first time experience of soldering my own bass guitar electronics and I feel as though the capacitor talk could warrant an entire encyclopedia thread on the topic of ceramic vs paper and oil. If a Cap is essentially a tub, draining to the ground, and both caps are at 0.047uF in a bass guitar, is there really that much of a tonal difference? I guess the only way to find out is to run the experiment one day :sneaky:

-First question:
I use Mogami 2319 cables with pancake connectors.

-Second question:
you can use balanced cables with unbalanced sources. In this case I’m using Mogami 2549. The 2534 is a quad cables and more of a pain for me to solder if I’m doing lots of cables. I’ve used both and much prefer 2549.

-Third question:
For speaker cables I’m using Mogami 3082 with Neutrik gold NP2X-B connectors.

-First question:
I use Mogami 2319 cables with pancake connectors.

-Second question:
you can use balanced cables with unbalanced sources. In this case I’m using Mogami 2549. The 2534 is a quad cables and more of a pain for me to solder if I’m doing lots of cables. I’ve used both and much prefer 2549.

-Third question:
For speaker cables I’m using Mogami 3082 with Neutrik gold NP2X-B connectors.
Nice. How do you like the 2319 and 3082? For the first question, I made some 2524 with square plugs, and recently, made some with 2314 and square plugs.
For the second, I went with 2497 (a coaxial cable with a larger diameter) and G&H gold plugs.
Haven’t figured out what to go with for the third question yet.

Back