Morley Humno noise eliminator any good?

• Thread starter Thread starter JpGerv
  • Start date Start date
JpGerv
JpGerv
Is this a joke or is there something to this ?
My rigs not that loud but I want to filter as much extraneous noise as possible without killing my tone.
I’m not a metal player but a lot it what I play crosses into metal territory and the gain gets pretty high.
I started looking at gates, like the NS2 and then the Decimeter G string, and now finally the ISP technologies Hum Extractor + G string ..
I’m probably gonna buy the Hum Extractor + G string .. unless someone can convince me otherwise but I am curious if this little morally hum now ..
Is it something I should consider ?
$100 seems absurd for this
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Humno--morley-humno-noise-eliminator

My rigs not that loud but I want to filter as much extraneous noise as possible without killing my tone.
I’m not a metal player but a lot it what I play crosses into metal territory and the gain gets pretty high.
I started looking at gates, like the NS2 and then the Decimeter G string, and now finally the ISP technologies Hum Extractor + G string ..
I’m probably gonna buy the Hum Extractor + G string .. unless someone can convince me otherwise but I am curious if this little morally hum now ..

It's an isolation transformer on the ground to prevent ground loops. It also helps filter out any noise in the AC line So, if you are having ground loop issues, it may help.

It's not a replacement for a noise gate type pedal.

Depends if it’s a gain issue or a power issue. If it’s a power issue the Morley hum will solve it. Gain issue a gate is the way. I run both because my power here is kind of sucky.

The efficacy of any noise solution depends on what's causing the noise. The Humno, Hum Exterminator, and Hum Eliminator, will do nothing for EM/RF noise coming from the pickups.
The Hum Eliminator helps when you get noise when plugging an amp or pedal output into a USB interface.
The Humno and Hum Exterminator help ground loops and some amp hum. I had a Revv G20 with a high-pitched whine, probably from the digital TwoNotes components. The Hum Exterminator cut that noise. On my tube amps and an old Line 6 modeling amp, they cut the idle hum by about 50%. And I have a LOT of pedals and rack gear in my 3-amp stereo wet/dry/wet rig, so I should probably have about 10 more of them to plug everything into, but that's going on $800.
I just came across this: https://reverb.com/item/80799211-mo...uty-15-amp?page=18&filter=seller#shop-reviews
Thinking about getting one. If it's the same as the Hum Exterminator, it'll be worth it because it's 2 outlets for the same price as the Hum Exterminator w/1 outlet.
I have severe noise issues in my apartment, mostly EM/RF from pickups, so there's nothing I can do about it. I have to use 3 gates in the chain to get my signal silent when not playing.
An ISP Decimate Micro 1st in the chain to cut pickup noise.
The gate in the EQ2 1st in the loop, cuts hiss/hum added by the high gain tube preamps.
The gate in the BBE Maxcom last in the loop, to cut the tiny bit of hiss added by many mods/delay/reverb pedals in the stereo loop.
Because the 1st gate cuts the majority of the noise, the 2nd and 3rd gates don't need to be set very high, the 3rd barely at all.

The efficacy of any noise solution depends on what's causing the noise. The Humno, Hum Exterminator, and Hum Eliminator, will do nothing for EM/RF noise coming from the pickups.
The Hum Eliminator helps when you get noise when plugging an amp or pedal output into a USB interface.
The Humno and Hum Exterminator help ground loops and some amp hum. I had a Revv G20 with a high-pitched whine, probably from the digital TwoNotes components. The Hum Exterminator cut that noise. On my tube amps and an old Line 6 modeling amp, they cut the idle hum by about 50%. And I have a LOT of pedals and rack gear in my 3-amp stereo wet/dry/wet rig, so I should probably have about 10 more of them to plug everything into, but that's going on $800.
I just came across this: https://reverb.com/item/80799211-mo...uty-15-amp?page=18&filter=seller#shop-reviews
Thinking about getting one. If it's the same as the Hum Exterminator, it'll be worth it because it's 2 outlets for the same price as the Hum Exterminator w/1 outlet.
I have severe noise issues in my apartment, mostly EM/RF from pickups, so there's nothing I can do about it. I have to use 3 gates in the chain to get my signal silent when not playing.
An ISP Decimate Micro 1st in the chain to cut pickup noise.
The gate in the EQ2 1st in the loop, cuts hiss/hum added by the high gain tube preamps.
The gate in the BBE Maxcom last in the loop, to cut the tiny bit of hiss added by many mods/delay/reverb pedals in the stereo loop.
Because the 1st gate cuts the majority of the noise, the 2nd and 3rd gates don't need to be set very high, the 3rd barely at all.
Jeez I realize how lucky I am! 3 noise gates to try to tame circuit noise? Brutal man, I can only imagine how severely that affects your sound/tone. I would be hunting all over. Hell, it would be easier to install and isolated ground rod and wire for your gear outlet in the house at that point. It's just drilling a few holes and clamping some cabling. Would solve all of your issues with the shared ground.

This looks really nice though and is something that I didn't realize was out there.

I run a multi amp system in my bedroom cause fuck it. Anyway I have had to deal with ground loop issues. I bought a cheap Pyle unit off Amazon for about 10 bucks and it worked for me. Get a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter and try that first before buying some expensive product. That will help narrow down the issue.

@JpGerv, it'll depend on what the noise you're getting rid of. Some "solutions" don't work and have to try something else.

I recently had noticed a ground loop in my rig (Fractal FX8 in 4 cable method with Splawn Nitro). The hum sounded like a shaver machine, and it can be heard on cleans or overdrive.

Tried ground removal plugs, ground removal from 1/4", multiple noise gates.. non of that worked, until I used an ebtech hum eliminator (pre Morley), the small box with 2 Ins and 2 outs. Plugging that at the loop of the amps where the fractal plugs removed that ground loop.

1724857992064.png

It took me a while to figure out the solution, but unfortunately had to try multiple different things.
Cheers

Last edited:
@JpGerv, it'll depend on what the noise you're getting rid of. Some "solutions" don't work and have to try something else.

I recently had noticed a ground loop in my rig (Fractal FX8 in 4 cable method with Spawn Nitro). The hum sounded like a shaver machine, and it can be heard on cleans or overdrive.

Tried ground removal plugs, ground removal from 1/4", multiple noise gates.. non of that worked, until I used an ebtech hum eliminator (pre Morley), the small box with 2 Ins and 2 outs. Plugging that at the loop of the amps where the fractal plugs removed that ground loop.

View attachment 336261

It took me a while to figure out the solution, but unfortunately had to try multiple different things.
Cheers
That Pyle unit I mentioned is a cheap copy of that unit right there. Instantaneously fixed it as soon as I hooked it up.
IMG_0211.jpeg

Jeez I realize how lucky I am! 3 noise gates to try to tame circuit noise? Brutal man, I can only imagine how severely that affects your sound/tone. I would be hunting all over. Hell, it would be easier to install and isolated ground rod and wire for your gear outlet in the house at that point. It's just drilling a few holes and clamping some cabling. Would solve all of your issues with the shared ground.

This looks really nice though and is something that I didn't realize was out there.
Problem #1 is that I'm in an apartment, can't make any modifications to the wiring.
Problem #2 is that 90% of my noise is EM/RF from the pickups. They're even active EMGs, and they're as quiet as a guitar could ever be, everywhere else I've plugged in. But my place has severe EM/RF pollution for whatever reason.
The gates block the noise during pauses and mutes, but it's still there. My high gain tone has a layer of harshness that I can't get rid of. I have to roll off the tone knob on the guitar and limit the treble and presence on the amp, forcing me to have a darker tone than I want.
I've spent so much money on noise "solutions": power "conditioners", isolated supplies, Hum Exterminators, Hum Eliminators, rack isolation tabs, USB isolators, copper shielding tape, even tried ferrite beads on just about every audio, power, and USB cable.
The Samson MLI1 line isolator w/ground lift has been very effective. I have 7, at $40 each, that's $280. I put them between every guitar connection to the interface (DI/line/slave outs from amps/load boxes), and after signal splits on one side of the split to lift the ground. They work well, stopping ground loops and that nasty digital noise you get when the computer is connected to anything.
All the stuff I've bought stops all the ground loops, but there's just nothing that can be done for the EM/RF interference, short of moving (or building a Faraday cage big enough to record in?).
It is extremely frustrating, having over $20,000 of nice gear and not being able to get clean recordings of any of it.

I bought that tc electronic noise reduction pedal and it works good. Got it used for like $60.i don’t know about the one you speak of, but my tv works better than that shiny silver pedal, it’s called the incinerator or something like that.

I bought that tc electronic noise reduction pedal and it works good. Got it used for like $60.i don’t know about the one you speak of, but my tv works better than that shiny silver pedal, it’s called the incinerator or something like that.
TC Electronic what? A noise gate? The Sentry?
And what is the "shiny silver pedal"?

Problem #1 is that I'm in an apartment, can't make any modifications to the wiring.
Problem #2 is that 90% of my noise is EM/RF from the pickups. They're even active EMGs, and they're as quiet as a guitar could ever be, everywhere else I've plugged in. But my place has severe EM/RF pollution for whatever reason.
The gates block the noise during pauses and mutes, but it's still there. My high gain tone has a layer of harshness that I can't get rid of. I have to roll off the tone knob on the guitar and limit the treble and presence on the amp, forcing me to have a darker tone than I want.
I've spent so much money on noise "solutions": power "conditioners", isolated supplies, Hum Exterminators, Hum Eliminators, rack isolation tabs, USB isolators, copper shielding tape, even tried ferrite beads on just about every audio, power, and USB cable.
The Samson MLI1 line isolator w/ground lift has been very effective. I have 7, at $40 each, that's $280. I put them between every guitar connection to the interface (DI/line/slave outs from amps/load boxes), and after signal splits on one side of the split to lift the ground. They work well, stopping ground loops and that nasty digital noise you get when the computer is connected to anything.
All the stuff I've bought stops all the ground loops, but there's just nothing that can be done for the EM/RF interference, short of moving (or building a Faraday cage big enough to record in?).
It is extremely frustrating, having over $20,000 of nice gear and not being able to get clean recordings of any of it.
Oof. That is really crummy/rough. Yeah, definitely stuck in a touch spot then. Hm..... If you have already tried every conditioner AND you know it if from the guitars picking stuff up, you'd almost have to faraday cage the room/area.

I can't think of another real way other than than to stop the signals. Only slightly related: I happened to put a 2203 preamp pedal from Griffin Analog in my chain in front as a placeholder. Started using it and due to the little bias trim inside, it essentially has a built in noise gate and it would be the most touch sensitive, dynamic version of a NG I have tried, even though that was not its intended meaning. I have been really enjoying my 'noise gate that isn't a noise gate'. I have it after my drive pedals. Everything is dead silent with it on. The other other thing I could recommend is possibly the Revv G8 and running the full rig through it. Will stop hiss at every point if you run it correctly. It keys off the guitar so it will keep your RF down, loops in the preamp pedals, tames the pedals, goes in the loop, tames the amp.

Should be what you are looking for.

Back