Most important/influential rock guitarist ever?

• Thread starter Thread starter yngzaklynch
  • Start date Start date
rokket2005":2cuaaig5 said:
Is my playing influenced by Hendrix?

Bullshit.

If you play rock guitar then you are definitely influenced by Hendrix.... maybe not directly in that you sit and listen and cop his licks. But there isn't a guitarist you listen to and had influence on you to that wasn't in some way influenced by Hendrix.

carlygtr":2cuaaig5 said:
Racerxrated":2cuaaig5 said:
carlygtr":2cuaaig5 said:
Yeah, EVH. Only Hendrix had him beat over a decade earlier. Still talking about him. VH in 40 years? A footnote, if that. Nothing lasting.
Well let's see...Van Halen 1 was when..'78? so it's been 35 years..pretty sure we'll still be talkin about him in another 5..just sayin..

Yeah, no doubt RT will be talking about him. That's not saying much :lol: :LOL:

:lol: :LOL: Again what total bullshit.

Motorpud":3dt2i9yn said:
carlygtr":3dt2i9yn said:
carlygtr":3dt2i9yn said:
Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitarist of all time IMO. There are multiple guitarists of his own era that don't get as much "the best ever" talk as he does, but to me are better musicians.

I've always felt like his image and untimely death took him a lot further than his actual guitar playing did. The thing he's most famous for isn't even playing guitar, its lighting one on fire and smashing it, which Pete Townshend did the set before, well without the fire :D

Really clueless. It's more sad than anything else

Informative response Carl, tell me more :scared:

Pretty self explanatory. If you're gonna pin Hendrix's fame on burning a guitar once, that kinda says where you're coming from. I guess he's still talked about decades after his death cause he BBQ'd a guitar. Real intelligent :lol: :LOL:

Actually, I do hear people talk about it all the time. Its obviously not the only reason he's famous but before that moment in time he was relatively unknown, so him burning that guitar did in part make him a household name. Its pretty well documented, but being a devout fan I'm sure you already knew that.

Hendrix was an innovator and was one of the first to do what he did, Marshall stack, lead playing with overdriven sounds, etc. By today's standards, or even 80's standards, his lead playing wasn't technically challenging and he was often sloppy live some of it due to drug use. But you're forgetting everything else, he wrote great songs, he sang, he came up with stuff nobody else did.

Lead guitar playing really evolved from the 60's 70's in some good ways and some bad ways. Sure it technically went far and above anything they were doing in the 60's and 70's but that didn't make it better. I'd rather listen to Hendrix than Michael Angelo for example.

Ventura":5y9l1pv1 said:
Hey Steve, would the above post be considered "nut tugging"? :student:

Well, I did feel a slight tug on my pouch :inlove:

Some people have so much emotional attachment, love, and devotion for their favorite sweaty male guitar heroes that they can't get up off their knees and dismount.

Add in internet tough guy syndrome and its a potent recipe for most of the butt hurt that spawned from my opinion.

danyeo":3mh48071 said:
Motorpud":3mh48071 said:
carlygtr":3mh48071 said:
carlygtr":3mh48071 said:
Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitarist of all time IMO. There are multiple guitarists of his own era that don't get as much "the best ever" talk as he does, but to me are better musicians.

I've always felt like his image and untimely death took him a lot further than his actual guitar playing did. The thing he's most famous for isn't even playing guitar, its lighting one on fire and smashing it, which Pete Townshend did the set before, well without the fire :D

Pretty self explanatory. If you're gonna pin Hendrix's fame on burning a guitar once, that kinda says where you're coming from. I guess he's still talked about decades after his death cause he BBQ'd a guitar. Real intelligent :lol: :LOL:

Actually, I do hear people talk about it all the time. Its obviously not the only reason he's famous but before that moment in time he was relatively unknown, so him burning that guitar did in part make him a household name. Its pretty well documented, but being a devout fan I'm sure you already knew that.

I'd rather listen to Hendrix than Michael Angelo for example.

I agree, though I'm not a big fan of either. I knew what I said would be blown out of proportion so I was prepared for the backlash, especially from wanna be Jimi clones like Carl.

If you say they're overrated, some people are sure to take it as you're saying they have no value or they made no contribution period, which is not what I said.

I don't have to explain my opinion, some people love onions, I hate them. Don't know why, don't care.

people getting all butt hurt off up in here if someone doesn't have the exact same opinion as others over something subjective.

Motorpud":3kqlku9u said:
danyeo":3kqlku9u said:
carlygtr":3kqlku9u said:
carlygtr":3kqlku9u said:

I agree, though I'm not a big fan of either. I knew what I said would be blown out of proportion so I was prepared for the backlash, especially from wanna be Jimi clones like Carl.

If you say they're overrated, some people are sure to take it as you're saying they have no value or they made no contribution period, which is not what I said.

I don't have to explain my opinion, some people love onions, I hate them. Don't know why, don't care.

Jimi clone? Far from it. He was a heavy influence, but a clone? LOL You must be deaf. :lol: :LOL:

Motorpud":1dep8ndr said:
danyeo":1dep8ndr said:
carlygtr":1dep8ndr said:
carlygtr":1dep8ndr said:

Yup. And for me, my favorite guitar player named Jimmy played in Led Zep. I liked listening to Led Zep, Floyd, Queen and didn't spend a lot of time with Hendrix or Clapton. I got to hear them enough on the classic rock radio stations.

carlygtr":6ljid44q said:
Motorpud":6ljid44q said:
danyeo":6ljid44q said:

Jimi clone? Far from it. He was a heavy influence, but a clone? LOL You must be deaf. :lol: :LOL:

Don't worry, no one could confuse the two of you. Your chops are actually better :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Not gonna get into the Debate...
Hands Down the Most important/influential rock guitarist ever,
was Jimi Hendrix 1st and foremost.
I'm not even a Huge Hendix listener but
he is the most Influential ever.
2nd: Tony Iommi
3rd: EVH

This:

Everything before this was completely different than everything after this. He changed how the guitar sounded and was featured forever going forward and influenced everyone from then on out (and he only took what the blues guys were doing and moved it further forward).

For those saying Hendrix; go listen to Cream Disraeli Gears and Hendrix Are You Experienced (recorded and released within the same year) and tell me how different the guitar tones are. Jimi is a little wilder, but they're both doing pretty much the same thing sonically.

But neither of those guys would be playing like that if it weren't for this guy doing this:

In this video, to the drummers right (left side of the screen) you can see what the guitar player used to do before Chuck came along

Hendrix!!! I used to be a Hendrix naysayer back in the late 70's/1980's, but I woke up and realized that a great guitarist is not all about smoke and mirrors, crazy tricks and licks and wankery!!! :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: I would say both Hendrix and EVH are equally influential in my book.

Rezamatix":3qdbqrnl said:
and here forward to exactly 3:50 min in:

NO 80's cockrocker had/or ever has that thick of a badass tone. NONE. they all need jcm800's and fizz boxes to play on 8 gauge strings and pinch squealie little piggy harmonics. and tap. (i love all that stuff, but seriously. Hendrix had a mojo)
there are many informative videos about how incredibly deep and trailblazing the mans work was.

Fuck yeah Rez! Machine Gun is my favorite electric guitar recording of all time.

While EVH was my first guitar hero and there's certainly no denying his influence on generations of shredders, but for me James Hetfield redefined the rhythm guitar playing especially in metal bands.

Back