NAD: Ceriatone King Kong

• Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
I was thinking about that also reading this thread. Is the lack of punch due to small transformers? Maybe more compression in the preamp vs. something with fewer gain stages like a 2203?
The OT & PT in the King Kong are anything but small. Plate voltage is pretty good too

I was thinking about that also reading this thread. Is the lack of punch due to small transformers? Maybe more compression in the preamp vs. something with fewer gain stages like a 2203?
Nik's amp trafos are as big as whole ENGL catalog. And weight a friggin ton, which is why I downsized

Last edited:
Yeah the tranny is huge. It might even trivial the size of the JP-2C’s. Classic Tone is what is installed on mine

Maybe filtering then, is a part of the 'lack of punch' with them. Smarter peeps than I regarding amp circuits would know.

a 2203 just has that higher mid kerrang while not being overly compressed and they just hit like few can

a 2203 just has that higher mid kerrang while not being overly compressed and they just hit like few can
I really need to buy an old un modded Marshall and boost it to see if I like it as much as my modded shit or more. Never played one boosted. I remember playing a JCM 800 when I was like 15 thinking it sucked next to a VH4. I didn’t know you could boost amps back then. Lol

I really need to buy an old un modded Marshall and boost it to see if I like it as much as my modded shit or more. Never played one boosted. I remember playing a JCM 800 when I was like 15 thinking it sucked next to a VH4. I didn’t know you could boost amps back then. Lol

one day i will too, my experience is very limited and a long time ago with them myself, i cant imagine its miles different from boosting my DSL's green though, which is cool but maybe not as cool for me as it is for a lot of guys.

one day i will too, my experience is very limited and a long time ago with them myself, i cant imagine its miles different from boosting my DSL's green though, which is cool but maybe not as cool for me as it is for a lot of guys.
Yeah I hear that. I definitely go after a bit more modern tones than many here.

Back