NAD: GZ Hellion

• Thread starter Thread starter gybe!
  • Start date Start date
Haven't gotten much play time in with the Hellion yet and it has a million options BUT

The Hellion and the Skeleton Key can both get that modern klank dialed in if you want it but the Skeleton Key has it's own voicing going and has a mid range that seems to be a Monomyth trademark from the clips I've heard of Shea's various amps. The SLO and CCV have a million clips online so won't go into those lol

They're all great and so far I am loving the Hellion, just a great sounding amp.
Rank your amps best to worst

Does the GZ get Cameron type tones . Asking since you have both

Like most Jose-based circuits you can get in the ballpark but the Camerons have their own feel and voicing. At the end of the day all of these are somewhat similar as they're high-gain Marshall derived circuits but each amp has its own thing going on.

Rank your amps best to worst

No lol Mainly because it's completely subjective and pointless

Like most Jose-based circuits you can get in the ballpark but the Camerons have their own feel and voicing. At the end of the day all of these are somewhat similar as they're high-gain Marshall derived circuits but each amp has its own thing going on.

No lol Mainly because it's completely subjective and pointless
Subjective, but not pointless.

Subjective, but not pointless.

Best for what? Worst for what? Based on what? Example, sometimes I like playing old Rainbow... none of these four amps are very good for that and of all the stuff I have the custom cascaded 100w Marshall Major is the best. But I wouldn't try to play modern metal on it lol You're playing some Ratt the SLO or Cameron might be the best. For GnR Appetite the AFD100 is great. etc etc etc

Kind of sorry I posted didn't mean to derail the OPs thread

Best for what? Worst for what? Based on what? Example, sometimes I like playing old Rainbow... none of these four amps are very good for that and of all the stuff I have the custom cascaded 100w Marshall Major is the best. But I wouldn't try to play modern metal on it lol You're playing some Ratt the SLO or Cameron might be the best. For GnR Appetite the AFD100 is great. etc etc etc

The Hellion does it all from gospel, blues, funk, ska, death metal etc.

Good point….And just wanted to add that i found settings on the Hellion that can do a convicing Izzy tone in Vintage and Slash tone in Classic mode w/ Aura around 11:00.

At first, the Hellion had more eq and feel optons than i am used to or felt i would need but once i started experimenting, i realized i would want a lot of these option on all my amps.

Does the GZ get Cameron type tones . Asking since you have both
You weren’t asking me but my XTC is a Cameron and I have had a few Cameron Joses. Have not had a Cameron Aldrich but did have a voodoo Aldrich v-plex. While I don’t think that take on the Aldrich is great, its attack is a little more representative of the immediacy of the GZ.

The gain control is very reminiscent of my old Cameron Jose, only other amp I have had with the two gain controls work on high end/low end seemingly independently.
From an “in the room” standpoint there is some similarity, but the feel is different (or at least, how I am currently running it it is). I barely have the diodes mixed into the signal, so am not running with as much compression as that’s just how I like to run these days. So, as it is currently setup it’s much more open and present on the attack. Not stiff, but doesn’t feel as saggy as the Cameron jose. Likely could get there as there, but I haven’t spent much time chasing there. Totally same zip code, but different address.

Also mean to add; had several other “Jose” inspired Marshall mods (Friedman, Fortin, voodoo and the headfirst certainly goes in that vein but is obviously a ground up build)…besides the headfirst which I will likely list soon, they are all gone but I dont see this one going anywhere!

Got in on the white faceplate action and upped the tone even more with the red head shell.

I have only had a few hours with it spread over a couple of days, but I am in love with this piece. Everything about it just works for me and what I am after. Enough variation from my fleet of Hermanssons as well, so believe this one is destined for the forever category!

I really need to up my cable management game (been moving crap around and it’s a mess now) and likely need to do some better overall storage/access solution for my amps. Think two of these are headed for the chopping block, but I also haven’t actually sold an amp in over five years so we shall see:scared:

Clips or didn't happen :lol:

j/k

nice collection and congrats on your GZero :cheers:

Bumping this one back up as I was just able to fire up my Hellion today as well. This amp can literally do it all.

Without typing a 5 paragraph essay, I own and have owned a bunch of amps. They all have this one minor tweak that's missing. The Hellion has so much adjustability that you can dial it in to get the exact tone you're looking for.

This thing does the tight wizard klank all the way to the looser mesa sag. It's absolutely going to be my #1. I told Jeremy if he made these as a 2 channel or even 3 channel I'd probably sell every other amp I own. I need to spend more time with it but the tones coming out of it are stellar. Didn't even touch any of my OD pedals. The onboard boost is solid and even then, it isn't necessary. The extra push/pull gain stage options makes leads really fluid and dynamic. Love the feel and feedback it gives.

Attachments

• 20241014_103530.jpg
    20241014_103530.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Back