NAD: Mesa Mark VII, Warming Up to this One Beautifully

• Thread starter Thread starter dead-pan
  • Start date Start date
Damn that's crazy.im guessing they will wait until NAMM to announce?

Is there really enough of a difference from the real thing to the Mark VII to warrant a reissue?

And if so, need to just get that modded into a MVII lol

There is a LOT of variability in the tubes Mesa ships amps with just based on stock on hand at the time. I've seen 15-40+ mA.

Here are the notes from the MkVII I had.

PV- 466 (same PT as the JP2C)

Class A
STR445 YEL 28mA
STR440 GRN 33mA

Class A/B
STR445 YEL 19mA
SRT440 GRN 28mA

So yeah, I'd go GRN or better yet GRY 6L6 for both pairs. (The Class A pair is cold as hell compared to older Simul amps.) Hell, BLU might even work out in these.

Extrapolating, I'd expect RED to be around 20mA in Class A and 12 mA in A/B.

Mark 7 modes crank the mids And the treble :-) It does what happens with c+ Mode when cranking the treble great mode

After swapping the stock red 6l6s with gry 430s I am loving this amp! Very versatile harmonically rich.

Why so cold of tubes stock though! I get that you would expect to play these loud but at moderate volume these tubes are just too cold.

With 4 STR430s installed the power scaling sounds mostly like louder versions of the other settings. With two yellow STR445 in the outer pair there is a bit of girth added to the 90 watt setting.

The modes are all very different and great IMO. It really feels like 4 different amps and this sets it apart from other amps IMO.

When I first plugged in, I was underwhelmed. I can see why many don't get along with Mesa amps and I'm sure it has to do with power tubes.

I have to pull the chassis to check the bias. Will probably do that soon.

Anyone experiment with EL34s in these?

View attachment 330657
For simulclass Marks, usually the EL34 go into the outer tube sockets. Or Mesa recommends using red or yellow labeled 6L6 for this position (if you run all 6L6 in the amp), as other tubes could run to hot. So I would check on this.
At least that was the case for older Mark series.

Edit: just saw GJgos reply. So they changed that in the MKVII?

For simulclass Marks, usually the EL34 go into the outer tube sockets. Or Mesa recommends using red or yellow labeled 6L6 for this position (if you run all 6L6 in the amp), as other tubes could run to hot. So I would check on this.
At least that was the case for older Mark series.

Edit: just saw GJgos reply. So they changed that in the MKVII?
Yeah, I've seen this in other new designs as well like the Badlander where they are biasing it so cold so that they literally can safely use all color codes. My Badlander 100 came with EL34s running 16 mA!

Back