NAD

• Thread starter Thread starter homespun
  • Start date Start date
I wonder if this had anything to do with the volume drop.
IMG_0139.jpeg

🤢

yeah. The pots are crackly.
Order a can of Deoxit. That stuff is awesome and is made specifically for cleaning electronics. Spray in the jacks, the pots, etc. It is a chemical that won't harm anything and will dry up. I do that with any old equipment I get.

Order a can of Deoxit. That stuff is awesome and is made specifically for cleaning electronics. Spray in the jacks, the pots, etc. It is a chemical that won't harm anything and will dry up. I do that with any old equipment I get.
Already done, my brother.

The biggest issue was the preamp tube sockets. Deoxit and plugging in and pulling the tubes fixed that up.

I also did all the pots and removed the electrocuted bug. I am still planning to recap it just to keep it running without worry. I have a YUGE component order to put together.

Holy friggen moly! Why did I wait so long to get one? I think this is THE amp for me.
View attachment 263658

OG block letter! Totally rocks! Awesome clean channel and the leads channel with the gain on 2 is perfect!!

I’m stoked, my dudes!
Happy New Amp Day @homespun 😀 I used a block letter 5150 years ago in the studio to layer some guitar tracks and it worked out quite well, layered very well with my Mesa Tremoverb! Also, @Lord Toneking years ago let me use his Peavey 5150 block letter, I believe it was bias modded, for a live show in a pinch as my main amp was down for that particular show 👍

Last edited:
Crap. It’s cutting out. I still think it’s the channel switch. The speaker jacks are also badly worn. Barely holds the plug in.

It’s in the preamp. I took out the power tubes and ran the preamp out too my Marshall effects loop return. I changed the tubes, too. Still cuts out.

I’ve got some work to do.

A total recap is the first order of business.
Man - I’ve owned several 5150s all had the random volume drop issue. Took it to several techs, every time they say they fixed it, it never got sorted out. Hope it works for you. They’re one of my favorite sounding amps, but man they are so damn unreliable. I hope it works out for you. I got to the point if I want that sound I just use a plug-in. It’s the most modeled amp out there.

Man - I’ve owned several 5150s all had the random volume drop issue. Took it to several techs, every time they say they fixed it, it never got sorted out. Hope it works for you. They’re one of my favorite sounding amps, but man they are so damn unreliable. I hope it works out for you. I got to the point if I want that sound I just use a plug-in. It’s the most modeled amp out there.
Deoxit solved the issues. I’ve been playing it last night and all today and it’s been good. Man, I love this amp.

I haven’t touched one of my other amps since I got this one. The EQ on this thing is really useful. Resonance and presence really change things up. Man, i love it!

I need to gab a 5150 sometime.
They’re criminally underrated. Get them to band volumes where they shine and they aren’t a fizzy mess at all. Learn what preamp tube stages do what and hand select them to unlock further potential. I don’t play mine much anymore but I can’t make myself sell it for the one thing it does exceptionally well.

They’re criminally underrated. Get them to band volumes where they shine and they aren’t a fizzy mess at all. Learn what preamp tube stages do what and hand select them to unlock further potential. I don’t play mine much anymore but I can’t make myself sell it for the one thing it does exceptionally well.
It’s funny you mention tube rolling and the one thing that it does really well…I’m getting ready to do exactly that in my ultra 60…I have a couple ruby 12ax7 hg’s as well as quite a few other 12ax7’s…plus a12at7 also…

Love mine and use it on a W/D/W setup which sounds killer. Rock On Dude!

Attachments

• P1010045.JPG
    P1010045.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

Back